• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - LOS INGOBERNABLES DE POKÉMON

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:06 am Reply with quote
Cygames getting Metal Max is bad, Metal Max mobile games fail quite quickly due to being of questionable quality. Also, Cygames deals more in moe than tanks & motorcycles, which means less emphasis on one of the key things what makes this franchise so good, the vehicle customization, you can make some ridiculous vehicles in later installments (4 really goes off the rails with this).
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:16 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Cygames getting Metal Max is bad, Metal Max mobile games fail quite quickly due to being of questionable quality. Also, Cygames deals more in moe than tanks & motorcycles, which means less emphasis on one of the key things what makes this franchise so good, the vehicle customization, you can make some ridiculous vehicles in later installments (4 really goes off the rails with this).

You're confusing Metal Max with Metal Saga, the series Success created during Metal Max's legal hell period following Data East's dissolution, & one that Kadokawa Games allowed to co-exist alongside Metal Max after the rights were finally squared away. Metal Max only had one mobile game so far, 2015's Fireworks, while Metal Saga has more or less been mobile-exclusive since 2007.

Essentially, Kadokawa focused primarily on console/handheld games with Metal Max, while Success focused on the mobile market with Metal Saga. That's where I'm curious how things will work out with Cygames, because who knows if Cygames will even allow Success to continue with Metal Saga, though that side of the overall franchise hasn't seen anything new since The Ark of Wastes closed shop in 2018 (beyond being represented in Umihara Kawase Bazooka in 2020).

Last edited by Lord Geo on Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:17 am Reply with quote
The Fate/Extra remake looks surprisingly dull to me - it basically looks good, but it doesn't seem like they tried very hard to replicate the stylishness of the PSP original.

To their credit, it does look a bit nicer than the trailer from two years ago. The battle system shown in that seems rather plain, though - I know the "predict rock/paper/scissors" system from the original was controversial (and doesn't hold up well up well beyond normal difficulty), but I'd hope they could come up with something, I don't know, just as weird?

Either way, if Shinji Hosoe music isn't in this version, directly into the trash it goes. The old trailer had it at least...
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The latter one is a surprise: Shielder-servant Mash Kyrielight is joining the Tsukihime crew for some fisticuffs. Considering her massive standing with the fandom and how much people love their little armored eggplant, it shouldn't be surprising—I say “shouldn't” because in my mind, I'd expect Altria Pendragon to be the one they go for.

Saber's been a playable character for a while now.
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:41 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Fate/EXTRA, does anyone else remember Imageepoch? Last I remember they wanted to be the next big thing in Japanese RPGs (and even had the cojones to try and trademark "JRPG," iirc), but after Fate/EXTRA and BRS: The Game, they seem to have faded into obscurity like many others before them. (A quick search confirms they did put out a few more titles after, but then went bankrupt.)

The Radiata cameos in the new Star Ocean certainly come as a surprise (though the case just happened to be sitting on my PS2 as I read this week's installment; it's the best game for testing progressive scan outputs). Will it be enough for me to actually try a Star Ocean game again...? Maybe, maybe not. Xenoblade is a tough standard to measure against (and PSO2: NGS has already perfected open-world action combat).

I haven't had much time to think about Pokemon, but from the trailers I think Nintendo managed to bring Monolith in like they did for Breath of the Wild (and like they didn't for Arceus). Here's hoping this is the shot in the arm the franchise needs.

And on that note, back to Xenoblade 3! I'm entering the power-trip phase of progression where I can kill enemies 10 levels above me with chain attacks that break a million damage. Hopefully I can rely on that strat a little longer before it becomes the only way I'm expected to deal damage.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:05 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Speaking of Fate/EXTRA, does anyone else remember Imageepoch? Last I remember they wanted to be the next big thing in Japanese RPGs (and even had the cojones to try and trademark "JRPG," iirc), but after Fate/EXTRA and BRS: The Game, they seem to have faded into obscurity like many others before them. (A quick search confirms they did put out a few more titles after, but then went bankrupt.)

Its CEO Ryoei Mikage famously disappeared around the time Imageepoch went bankrupt, but later turned up and started Mikage Games. They made Criminal Girls X (which was a former Imageepoch property) in 2020, a F2P game which is still running. Other projects are listed on their site which haven't come out yet, at least one still shown with a 2021 release date...but, they're still around.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:21 am Reply with quote
iirc, artoria is already in melty blood.
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:23 am Reply with quote
Metal Max is a game series that I really should play, since I translate a series that references it constantly. But I never have that kind of time, so I content myself with reading trivia about it.

F-Zero is one of those games that's been unavailable for so long relative to my lifetime (as in, new ones stopped coming out and used ones got pricey well before I had any kind of disposable income) that I know it exclusively via people reminiscing about how good GX was. I have zero desire for Nintendo to go back and make regular new entries in all these older series, but I do wish that they would make the existing entries accessible in some form. A lot of people just assume experience of their '90s and '00s output in critical discussion, but the hoops I'd need to jump through for it are less than ideal.

Quote:
Considering her massive standing with the fandom and how much people love their little armored eggplant, it shouldn't be surprising—I say “shouldn't” because in my mind, I'd expect Altria Pendragon to be the one they go for. But I'm behind on my Fate lore, so eggplants it is.

Saber was in the Type Lumina roster at launch.
And why is this written like Extra/Record is a new announcement? I'm sure I've read about it in this column before.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit of a Type Moon fan, so anything that indicates Extra Record isn't actually vaporware is a good thing. Now if only there were actual details. And the CCC route included. I'd also like a few million bucks, while I'm babbling about pipe dreams.

There's actually a very simple reason Altria Pendragon isn't in the Melty Blood DLC- she is already a character in the base game. To piggyback on that a bit, because I think its important: I think fighting game devs get a lot of shit (understandably) for piecemeal game delivery. DLC characters come out 1 at a time for several years, and its quite expensive all told. So, I want to reemphasize for those who are interested, but dislike that particular practice (like me): to my knowledge every single dlc character in Melty Blood: Type Lumina is available for 0$. Its a great piece of consumer mindedness- so even if I don't care about the gameplay of that particular title, I want to give credit where it is due.

I mentioned my sympathy for Digimon Survive's lot last week- I maintain that it was basically sent out to die. Which is unfortunate, as the little I have heard indicates that its a pretty solid title, provided you know that it is mostly a VN.

Square's putting out new Valkyrie Profile and Star Ocean games, and I'm less and less thrilled about either. I'm hoping to be proven wrong, but all I can think as a long-time fan of both is "You resurrected a dead franchise for this?"
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally announced during the Wada Arco exposition in Japan
Fate/Extra Record was announced two years ago for Fate/Extra's 10th anniversary. The trailer you've linked to is a new trailer shown at Wada's art exhibition.
Quote:
Considering her massive standing with the fandom and how much people love their little armored eggplant, it shouldn't be surprising—I say “shouldn't” because in my mind, I'd expect Altria Pendragon to be the one they go for.
Artoria is a release character in Melty Blood Type Lumina. She was the last character revealed before launch.
Quote:
Pokémon Unity
Pokemon Unite
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I know a lot of people are frustrated that Nintendo isn't making a Mario Kart 9, but I'm not sure I understand the sentiment. Is it because people just want another game? I can't imagine there's much they can do to rebalance the driving or mechanics or otherwise differentiate the game.

Take out characters and pick and choose which classic stages to bring back (& alter from the original) which I’m sure the fans will enjoy Razz

Quote:
Avoid the pitfalls of a game-as-a-service by ensuring the base game is worth $60

Sorry but there should be no reason a game that’s technically 8 years old is still selling for more than 20-30 dollars even if you factor in content added post launch.

This is starting to become something of a recurring problem with Nintendo Switch games.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Ashera is the only one for Eunie
zenprism

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I haven't played a Pokemon game since Red on the GameBoy, but this article alone convinced me to pre-order Pokemon Scarlet. Well done, Jean-Karlo. I wasn't sure what game I'd be playing over the holidays, but that's decided now.
Sabruness

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:29 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Sorry but there should be no reason a game that’s technically 8 years old is still selling for more than 20-30 dollars even if you factor in content added post launch.

This is starting to become something of a recurring problem with Nintendo Switch games.

That's my only real dislike about the switch is, at least buying physical where i am, the only place to get older switch games for anything other than near new pricing (except the more unpopular and super niche games that dont sell much) is to buy second hand privately or skim pawnshops and independent second-hand shops for any potential bargains. because worthwhile discounts in big name stores are few and far between when it comes to the switch.

Does make me wonder sometimes if it's somehow a tactic to get people to buy more from the eShop which sometimes has some really great sales.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:55 am Reply with quote
Sabruness wrote:
That's my only real dislike about the switch is, at least buying physical where i am, the only place to get older switch games for anything other than near new pricing (except the more unpopular and super niche games that dont sell much) is to buy second hand privately or skim pawnshops and independent second-hand shops for any potential bargains. because worthwhile discounts in big name stores are few and far between when it comes to the switch.

Does make me wonder sometimes if it's somehow a tactic to get people to buy more from the eShop which sometimes has some really great sales.

Nintendo games never really go on sale for much. Maybe a 60 dollar game will be on sale for 50. Maybe 40 if you're super lucky. I think it's more because they know people will buy them regardless so there's no incentive to drop them to 20 or below like other companies
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2