• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Guardian: Shueisha Confirms French Publisher's "All-in-One" One Piece Book Was U

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I tried reading his description of what this was supposed to be, and it just sounds like word soup to me. Then again, I'm not convinced that the point wasn't to repackage the manga and resell it to people that will pay for the novelty.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
According to a spokesperson for the publisher, there is no copyright infringement because it is physically impossible to read the book.

[...] The work is credited to artist Ilan Manouach, who describes it as "the materialization of an ecosystem saturated by media." Each print costs 1,900 euros.

Idk man, using copyrighted material to make items that you sell for 2000 € sounds like copyright infringement to me. Even if the book is unreadable, the metres-wide spine is still filled with artwork from the series. Not to mention that I doubt that removing the space makes the title different enough from a trademark perspective...
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
According to a spokesperson for the publisher, there is no copyright infringement because it is physically impossible to read the book.

What a response, lol.
Matros

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I think we all knew the real reason wasn't to make a statement with this "art piece" but to use OP's popularity to make money of it. Considering the artist's history.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Erufailon4 wrote:
Quote:

[...] The work is credited to artist Ilan Manouach, who describes it as "the materialization of an ecosystem saturated by media." Each print costs 1,900 euros.

Idk man, using copyrighted material to make items that you sell for 2000 € sounds like copyright infringement to me. Even if the book is unreadable, the metres-wide spine is still filled with artwork from the series. Not to mention that I doubt that removing the space makes the title different enough from a trademark perspective...

Here's a thought experiment: what if after they made it they coated the entire thing in clear epoxy or glue so that it really, _really_ couldn't be read ever.
Would then it maybe just be considered an art display piece in your mind? Does that make it "better"? Oddly it kind of does when I think about it.

Well, copyright infringement or blatantly using a popular manga series to make a bunch of cash off a stupid art idea or both, i suppose it did make me think a little bit.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:49 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Here's a thought experiment: what if after they made it they coated the entire thing in clear epoxy or glue so that it really, _really_ couldn't be read ever.
Would then it maybe just be considered an art display piece in your mind? Does that make it "better"? Oddly it kind of does when I think about it.

Don't think it matters. If we take Disney as a measuring stick, and the many murals featuring some Disney character popular with kids at the many schools, day cares etc, and what happened each and every time Disney got wind of it...
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:04 pm Reply with quote
"It's a commentary piece on piracy, because I stole it. And it's about pirates!! GET IT?"

Quote:
Manouach is known for creating remixes of influential comics. Some of his projects have been controversial, such as his Katz comic, a redraw of the French edition of Art Spiegelman's Maus portraying the characters as cats instead of mice. The publisher accused the book of copyright infringement in 2012, and Manouach destroyed the copies on their request.

The cats in Maus were the Germans, weren't they? How edgy. Rolling Eyes
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
LMAO what a response.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
FilthyCasual wrote:
LMAO what a response.

Actually, it's a very legitimate piece of a fair-use response to a copyright complaint. The impact on the commercial exploitation of the original work is taken into consideration when determining fair use. Ie: "Can the derivative be used as a replacement for the original?" In this case, the publisher is claiming that the derivative can't be used as a replacement for the original, and therefore there is no negative impact on the financial exploitation of the original.

-t
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I tried reading his description of what this was supposed to be, and it just sounds like word soup to me. Then again, I'm not convinced that the point wasn't to repackage the manga and resell it to people that will pay for the novelty.

It really does reinforce the idea that contemporary "art" is one giant emperor's-new-clothes farce. I know I lost brain cells reading that description.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising that the only person defending this nonsense is a CEO.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:30 pm Reply with quote
It hardly reads as more nonsensical than most art messages. I'd put it in the same category as Andy Worhol's soup cans.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Actually, it's a very legitimate piece of a fair-use response to a copyright complaint. The impact on the commercial exploitation of the original work is taken into consideration when determining fair use. Ie: "Can the derivative be used as a replacement for the original?" In this case, the publisher is claiming that the derivative can't be used as a replacement for the original, and therefore there is no negative impact on the financial exploitation of the original.

-t
So if your fandub/sub is shitty enough, you can't get sued?
SlamMan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Quote:
FilthyCasual wrote:
LMAO what a response.

-t

Hmm, based off of the images that show it flopping open I think one could very easily argue that you could read this. It could easily then be used as a replacement for the original, it just wouldn't be portable.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Hope Oda and Shueisha sue him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2