• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Supreme Court of Japan Voids Ruling Against Former Morning Magazine Editor Over Death of Wife

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nate148

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:02 pm Reply with quote
No justice for powerful men just free rides.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:

Does "innocent until found guilty" ring a bell? As much as I dislike Japan's judicial system, this is rather unusual. And yes, even horrible people deserve a fair trial.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't know this particular case very well, but seeing a verdict overturned like this in Japan is a bit of a shocker. Usually, by this point, an insufficient case either would not have been brought in or would have been dropped early on. They really like their conviction rate really high and will either let criminals free if they can't build a solid case or will get their supposed culprits to confess to the crime at all costs. When it comes to high-profile cases, it's even more crucial that they finish with confidence lest they accidentlly put public ridicule on prosecutors and police for arresting the wrong person.
Nate148

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:49 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Nate148 wrote:

Does "innocent until found guilty" ring a bell? As much as I dislike Japan's judicial system, this is rather unusual. And yes, even horrible people deserve a fair trial.

Japan is not like that also it very funny how he is one of the few to get a free ride https://japantoday.com/category/crime/japan-guilty-until-proven-innocent-documentary-shines-light-on-controversial-legal-system
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Beg pardon if I'm missing something obvious, but I don't think this is a "free ride", at least from the information available in the article. It specifically says in the first paragraph that the court ordered Pak to be re-tried, not for him to be exonerated.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:01 am Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:

Is a manga magazine editor that powerful in Japan?
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:43 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Beg pardon if I'm missing something obvious, but I don't think this is a "free ride", at least from the information available in the article. It specifically says in the first paragraph that the court ordered Pak to be re-tried, not for him to be exonerated.

Well, the court has said "no, no, that's not fair, judge him again, but RIGHT". After all, the first trial maybe didn't take into account that maybe some aliens used their telepathy to make his wife strangle herself, against the physical evidences and the autopsy. Rolling Eyes

I fail to see on what grounds the first trial was wrong or unfair, except in the case of more years in jail.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:49 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:

Does "innocent until found guilty" ring a bell?

If he was sentenced to serve time that means he was found guilty.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:41 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
ximpalullaorg wrote:

I suggest to study how most democratic law systems work. Until the last appeal he's still considered innocent.

Quote:
I fail to see on what grounds the first trial was wrong or unfair, except in the case of more years in jail.

Again, that CAN happen in court, outside US for example.
I'm not saying he isn't guilty. But for the law he isn't for now. Considering what happens normally in Japan this is a semi-miracle (judges are considered "infallible", sort of).
CelticMutt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:57 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
ximpalullaorg wrote:

I suggest to study how most democratic law systems work. Until the last appeal he's still considered innocent.

Japan is explicitly a guilty until found innocent country.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:48 pm Reply with quote
CelticMutt wrote:

Japan is explicitly a guilty until found innocent country.

That's why I said what happened is a semi-miracle.
But I find deeply disturbing that someone in this thread has the same mindset.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:38 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:

I suggest you realize when you made an argument that was clearly contradicted by the article and the principle of “presumption of innocence”. Which is essentially the same doctrine of innocent until proven guilty.

The accused was found guilty in a court of law even if that ruling was thrown out it doesn’t change the fact he was originally found guilty. Secondly that phrase generally applies to the justice system, the government, & those accused of a crime, not the public. Hence why you’ll have an individual that may have been acquitted of a crime or have their conviction overturned still considered guilty in the eyes of the public.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1