• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shin Ultraman [2023-01-21]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Taki's model of the USS Enterprise is proudly seen on his desk, surrounded by other models of cars and the vehicles from Thunderbirds

Every single English review of Shin Ultraman that I've read or seen mentions the Western elements of Taki's collection... And utterly and completely fails to make note of the equally prominent models from classic Japanese shows of the same era.

Which is especially annoying on a website that's dedicated to Japanese entertainment.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:41 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Quote:
Taki's model of the USS Enterprise is proudly seen on his desk, surrounded by other models of cars and the vehicles from Thunderbirds

Every single English review of Shin Ultraman that I've read or seen mentions the Western elements of Taki's collection... And utterly and completely fails to make note of the equally prominent models from classic Japanese shows of the same era.

Which is especially annoying on a website that's dedicated to Japanese entertainment.

I chose to focus on the Enterprise because it's most-relevant to the themes of the film and the point I am trying to make in the review. Relax, guy.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:38 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
I chose to focus on the Enterprise because it's most-relevant to the themes of the film and the point I am trying to make in the review.

As someone who has seen TOS, I was definitely picking up what you were putting down.

I unfortunately did not have the opportunity to watch it in the theatres, but my friends who did enjoyed it to the point of wanting to watch the original Ultraman. I'm not sure how it did at the box office, but I certainly would've liked another couple days in theatres.
seoulman1985

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:24 am Reply with quote
There's some fun connection to the past. Takenouchi Yutaka plays the same statesman he did for Shin Godzilla, implying a continuity that is to be expected in what's being confirmed as the Shin Japan Heroes Universe alongside Godzilla, Evangelion, and later this year, Shin Kamen Rider.

Without spoiling, a major discussion brought up midway through the film may be inadvertent, or intentional foreshadowing of Shin Kamen Rider, and the overarching crux of the SJHU.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Ultra shows for about a decade now, and I've seen the original Ultraman in its entirety twice. It felt a little surreal to watch an Ultraman feature film on an American big screen.
...And it was definitely worth it! I found it to be a delightful reimagining of the original show, and I fully agree on how much the film values hope and optimism in the face of larger-than-life pressures, earthly and cosmically.
If anything, I almost felt the film was trying to handle too much for its runtime; but every segment is so deliberate and integral to the plot I don't think there was room to cut anything. I'd also criticize the visual effects a little bit, as they're just not as appealing as traditional practical effects, and obviously not up to par with some larger Western productions; however the cinematography was great and compensated for the CGI's weaknesses a lot.

I admittedly haven't seen enough of the other classic shows to fully appreciate all of Taki's models, but I've definitely considered how the Enterprise was a thematic choice as much as an aesthetic one, and I don't think it was coincidence that it seemed to get the most shots out of all the models.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:14 pm Reply with quote
seoulman1985 wrote:
There's some fun connection to the past. Takenouchi Yutaka plays the same statesman he did for Shin Godzilla, implying a continuity that is to be expected in what's being confirmed as the Shin Japan Heroes Universe alongside Godzilla, Evangelion, and later this year, Shin Kamen Rider.

Without spoiling, a major discussion brought up midway through the film may be inadvertent, or intentional foreshadowing of Shin Kamen Rider, and the overarching crux of the SJHU.

I completely missed out on this! :O Which conversation was it?
TheBeastAR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:02 am Reply with quote
seoulman1985 wrote:

Why do people keep assuming this a shared and interconnected universe? Based on what we know, it's more likely that SJHU is JUST a marketing thing and nothing more. The same politician and the title screen in Shin Ultraman is a fun nod/callback to various things, but I'm not certain any of this implies a shared universe in the way fans and viewers think. Why are people insisting this is a shared universe? If this something in English language/Anglo-centric circles, or is there the same discussion within Japanese circles?

Why are people insisting this is a shared universe?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:30 am Reply with quote
While there are some Easter eggs and advertising, I see this as a thematic trilogy like say, the Anti-Great Man trilogy of the 90s (Ed Wood, The People vs Larry Flynt, and Man on the Moon). And in that sense, the film is a joy, about man dealing with the impossible and otherworldly but ultimately, with help, surviving and prevailing.

The film’s not perfect, but I’d argue some of the ideas (the episodic structure, the surreal CG) is by design to capture something alien. In turn, that’s actually a big strength of the film, the idea of it embracing the material wholeheartedly without ever feeling the need to wink to the audience or use Whedonesque dialogue to establish superiority over the concept. You’re here for the concept, and the film understands that completely.
Nyghtwynd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:13 pm Reply with quote
8/10 needs Pigmon, hope Belamur is in Shin Ultra Seven
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1