• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime/Game Music Composer Hidekazu Tanaka Admits to Obscenity Charges in Court

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
15-year-old woman
:thonking:
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Doubt it'll happen, but I hope he rots in jail.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I think this article doesn't quite portray just how much of a legend in the anison industry this man is. Just look at the entire list of credits (might be missing a few) on vgmdb: https://vgmdb.net/artist/9621

He's one of the biggest names in anison. This is such a huge loss for the industry. All because he couldn't be a decent person. I hope the GIRL is okay (she's not a woman yet...).
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like workplace stress needs to be addressed more in Japan, although, this guy does need jail to think about things but still these incidents will keep happening until the stress issue is resolved.
OrangeVision

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Honestly been coping hard these last 6 months with these news, like I knew this was going to happen but I just held on little hope that this was some wild misunderstanding. Time to move to the 4th stage of grief.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Sounds like workplace stress needs to be addressed more in Japan, although, this guy does need jail to think about things but still these incidents will keep happening until the stress issue is resolved.

No amount of workplace stress is an excuse to sexually assault a child, and pretending those things are correlated is extremely gross.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:33 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

No amount of workplace stress is an excuse to sexually assault a child, and pretending those things are correlated is extremely gross.

Thank you! Everyone has to deal with stress at some level all the time. There is zero reason to correlate that with what this guy did. Just because he has some positives in terms of his professional career does not mean there is any need to diminish or excuse what a terrible thing he has done.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

Buddy, when I got stressed at work I didn't go out and solicit underage girls or take photos up their skirts. This is not workplace stress related, this is a guy who is a creep making excuses.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

No. Just no. Not even remotely the issue.
Blazi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:18 pm Reply with quote
How unfortunate. A fantastic composer doing some really stupid decisions.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:20 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

Buddy, when I got stressed at work I didn't go out and solicit underage girls or take photos up their skirts. This is not workplace stress related, this is a guy who is a creep making excuses.

I honestly do think stress, and a lack of adequate mental health, could result in this outcome. Obviously the average person isn't going to resort to these acts just because of stress, but an already troubled individual who doesn't have a proper outlet for their emotions can act out in this way. It's a bit reminiscent of the string of young mass shooters in the US.

Of course I know nothing about this person's situation to comment on it with any certainty, and that still doesn't excuse the crimes he's committed. It might just be a contributing factor.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
I honestly do think stress, and a lack of adequate mental health, could result in this outcome. Obviously the average person isn't going to resort to these acts just because of stress, but an already troubled individual who doesn't have a proper outlet for their emotions can act out in this way. It's a bit reminiscent of the string of young mass shooters in the US.

Of course I know nothing about this person's situation to comment on it with any certainty, and that still doesn't excuse the crimes he's committed. It might just be a contributing factor.

The fault is still on the human for his actions. This guy clearly has issues and certainly workplace stress is a BIG thing in Japan and can make people's mental health worse, but it wasn't workplace stress that forced this guy to act on his desires. Nothing forced him to, he chose to do it himself, and ultimately that's the situation here.
There absolutely does need to be a conversation about workplace stress and mental health support, but including it in this case makes it sound like there's an excuse (I know you're not excusing him, I'm speaking generally) for his action when there really really REALLY isn't. I feel it's probably not the best way to discuss it; people dying from stress induced heart attacks or committing suicide is probably a better (but still horrible) subject.

There are times where people say "now is not the time to discuss x issue" and sometimes it comes off as a load of deflecting crap but in this situation I think it is actually the case.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Always sucks when someone so talented turns out to be someone so scummy.
hiro-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:09 am Reply with quote
Disgusting.
oilers2007

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:13 am Reply with quote
"According to police, the girl reported the incident at a nearby neighborhood police outpost. Police then reportedly found footage from the station's security camera of a person following the girl."

Wait, but I was told Japan doesn't take this stuff seriously and it's so easy to molest women there and much more dangerous than other countries.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2