• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Dangers in My Heart (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:36 am Reply with quote
Agreed, though I think it also helps that despite being awkward as hell Kyotaro is not being pushy or unpleasant unlike that other guy in episode one (I think). Her being a model probably means dealing with lots of guys like him and given how the girls shield her from him later on it has probably happened before plenty of times. So I can see why a guy like Yamada who shows his kindness with small gestures and not being a blatant creep can stand out.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:59 am Reply with quote
Oh, smurky, smurky, smurky... DO NOT make me break out the old, "chicks dig a-holes" thing, because as God as my witness, I will! Wink
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 06: I Melted It

Summary: Anna blames herself for missing the train, when Kyotarou buys her a drink then takes the blame himself. Later, Adachi notices Kyotarou talking with Anna and interrogates him on Anna’s love life. And when the "no eating" rule is finally signposted in the library, Anna keeps snacking. But when a teacher almost catches her Kyotarou grabs her hand to hide the evidence.

Comments: Not quite the same situation, but I did something similar when trying to woo over my crush (Girl B). Back in middle school, the choirs were doing an annual visit to this medieval-themed restaurant, but students had to submit about $20 to reserve a table spot and their meal at the place.

The deadline to reservations was getting pretty close, but I noticed Girl B hadn't been confirmed to go, yet. So during lunch, when the girls' choir class was in session, but I had a little gap between my lunch ending and going back to class, I told my best friend at the time that I had the idea of paying for her reservation myself.

Well, my friend went into the choir room, while I waited outside in the hallway, and he asked one of Girl B's friends if I could pay for her ticket. But he wasn't hush-hush about it, he just said it out-loud in front Girl B's friend and all the rest of the girls in the class. And when they heard the offer, I heard a really loud "whoo~!" from everybody inside.

Needless to say, I was beet red in the face and pretty embarrassed that they all got to hear that. I started walking away (very quickly), and my friend came out after me and said Girl B's friend would pass the gesture along.

Later that afternoon after school, I ran into Girl B's friend in the choir room (where a lot of students like to hang out), and she asked me point-blank, "are you in love with [Girl B] or something?" And I replied in a bit of a stutter, "No! I just wanted her to be able to go is all."

That same afternoon, Girl B was actually doing cheerleader rehearsal, so I never got to see her in person. But later, I got a verbal message from her friend, "She said she doesn't need you to pay for her. It's not like your her boyfriend or something."

And after hearing that, I was a nervous wreck the next week-and-a-half up to the night of the dinner. I hadn't talked to Girl B, at all, between when I made the offer and into that evening. But on the school bus ride back, we talked a little. She said it was really sweet of me to offer, but that I didn't have to waste my money on her. And the rest of the bus ride home, we just chatted, chilled, and laughed about things.

Thinking about it, now, I guess I was very similar to Kyotarou in terms of lacking self-confidence and being super apprehensive about "going further" with girls. I'm sure more of this show will make me reminisce on that stuff as we go.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue May 30, 2023 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:31 pm Reply with quote
As the episodes go by the MCs keep growing closer and it is also becoming increasingly hard to determine who the biggest pervert of the two actually is. On a sidenote, becoming famous does not at all seem fun to me and instead just a lot of stress.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 07: We Swapped Places

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 08: I Had a Dream

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 8 was great with plenty of cute moments and a bit of romantic progression. It also shows that you can not always judge an anime based solely on the first 2 or so episodes. The anime started of pretty weak and scared some people off with the murder fantasies, since then it has become a great romance anime.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh Kyotaro, in a season of plenty examples he may have the nastiest and most relatable case of painful self-doubt and self-hate. He really cannot conceive of people liking him- but in his case it's not excessive bullying or not being recognized, just normal lack of confidence stemming from the knowledge that he is unpopular. So many of us know the effect of being thought of as "the weird kid."

In some ways though- "romance" is not the greatest solution. In my opinion, dude needs a friend a bit more than a girlfriend. I tried something like this thing when I was this age. Thank god she never gave me the chance to ask her out. It's the fantasy of us types in school that "if only I could get a girl" but without a simple friend- there's usually the self doubt of "why does she like me?"

All these questions he asks himself? Better answered by another person.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

I get that virtually all anime rom-coms are based on the simple premise that male anime protags are clueless idiots. I really do. But my God sometimes it is truly painful to watch. As Spastic Minnow points out, Kyotaro has legitimate reasons for not being confident, for doubting that a sweet, popular, gorgeous, big tiddy gal like Yamada would be interested in a gloomy, shrimpy, stammering simp like him. It does kind of beggar belief and really only exists as an otaku fantasy. BUT STILL!!! COME ON!!! Yeah, OBVIOUSLY she wants your LINE ID, moron!!! Oi.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:16 am Reply with quote
Deep down he does know though, he just refuses to see it for what it is. Part of the whole thing is him being dense, true, but part is also him not wanting to get invested in anything in order to avoid getting hurt, even if that means spouting bullshit to himself.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:24 am Reply with quote
Um, smurky? When I go on one of my little rants, I *really* don't appreciate you coming around with your calm, rational, grounded commentary, mmmkay? It makes me look bad. Wink
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:10 am Reply with quote
I just assume that the very very overused trope of a dense mc has broken you to some regard, so you can rant all you like, who knows how many times anime have had a dense mc appear.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:28 am Reply with quote
Thank you for your thoughtful understanding in this sensitive matter...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:51 am Reply with quote
My turn.

Anna, stop using your boy toy as a shield for other guys. No wonder Kyo has such mixed feelings and so much uncertainty, you spend half the time leading him on and the rest of it as if he's your pet who's only there for your convenience.

Talk TO him, not AT him. For the love of middle school clueless boys, tell him why you're apologizing, don't just mutter "I'm sorry."

Back to your regularly scheduled rant blaming the guy for being clueless for some reason.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:38 am Reply with quote
What a bizarre take. I have no idea why you think Yamada is using Kyotaro as a shield against other boys (she already has a highly effective anti-boy defense system made up of her female friends) nor why you think she's leading him on or using him as a convenient pet. The only reason I can think of where you'd be getting this is if you are actually taking Kyotaro's inner fears at face value, which is weird.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7