• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do seiyuu perform live-acting audio shows in front of audiences not about anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samuknight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:27 pm Reply with quote
For arguments sake I'm not including Seiyuu who do multitask like Ryunosuke Kimik or people who had already had prestige, if not became outright big in other non-VA work such as DJ, music, live action cinema, and so on like Takahiro Sakurai.

To start of, the whole premise was inspired by Taylor Lautner's (of Twilight fame who acted as the Were Wolf guy) live vocal performance of Boogie Nights about a decade ago at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art where he and some other actors read the script of the movie in front of a live audience in a manner similar to an audio drama cd. The whole show was praised and Lautner in particular received rave reviews as a worthy replacement for Mark Wahlberg as Dirk Diggler in at least his vocal acting portrayal. Enough to the point a reviewer to three felt he was an equal to Wahlberg as far as vocal acting goes.

In addition to doing audio drama cds adaptations all the time for anime and manga (my nephew has over 100), considering the fact that so many Seiyuu have done advertising, radio announcement, and even recorded audio tapes and CDs of traditional Japanese theater forms including Kabuki and older stuff as well as audio books and radio dram adaptation of movie screenplays.......... Why doesn't it seeem Seiyuu do live performances in front of audiences in an auditorium for a college or in a live theater venue? I can't seem to see any info on Seiyuu performing something similar to what Taylor Lautner did at the LACMA. Even specifically for anime, I cannot find anything of Seiyuu performing whole episodes or a new original exclusive story in front of audiences at conventions within Japan.

So I'm wondering have Seiyuu done any live performance in the style of the Booige Night audio play from 10 years ago in LA of their popular roles and even beyond animation? With all the variety of work they do, I'm surprised there's scarce info about them doing a Kabuki or Akira Kurosawa screenplay in pure recitational forms in front of audiences. Like I said, even within anime, there's nothing about big name Seiyuu performing in a short gaiden story in front of fans of their most popular series and characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1