• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2008 - ADV Sneak Peek

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draneor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
"As posted on ANN earlier in the ear[...]"

I believe "ear" should be "year." Just trying to help (I realize typos creep in when you write something quickly). Thanks.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He also expressed his wishes that whichever company ends up distributing the titles will hire the same voice cast to continue the production of the episodes.

This sounds especially foreboding. Not necessarily for ADV Films per se, but for those 4 titles. It basically sounds like those titles are going to have to be relicensed, and ADV doesn't sound particularly confident that they can grab them again to me.
JackCox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Any info on the dub cast of Kiba?
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
Any info on the dub cast of Kiba?

Other than the fact we know ADV's producing the dub and it's apparently uncut, nothing. I think the later was a relief, because of Upper Deck being the one in control of the actual master license.
e-imi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Is anybody else angry about how they suspended those titles and now say they're going to be making more liscenses this weekend? Rolling Eyes

Finish what you have first.
DClark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
e-imi wrote:
Is anybody else angry about how they suspended those titles and now say they're going to be making more liscenses this weekend? Rolling Eyes

I'm sure they'd love to, but their licenses have been revoked. I don't think ADV wants to disappoint fans of the series, but if it's a matter of ADV getting gouged to the point of taking a loss to re-aquire the series, I'd rather they stick to their guns until the license owners become more reasonable. ADV must've paid something to someone to get those series in the first place, and the fallout with Sojitz means the license holders are now asking ADV to pay twice. That's assuming Sojitz doesn't still have a say in the matter and is preventing ADV from re-aquiring the series at any cost.

I'm personally collecting Tokyo Majin and I'll be disappointed if ADV can't complete the series, but I'm of the opinion that if it means ADV would have to take a loss to re-aquire the series they've lost they should walk away from them. Hopefully Greenfield's statement was directed more at the license holders in hopes of getting a more reasonable deal for reaquiring the series, though considering all the series they've recently aquired still seem to be revoked I think Sojitz may be preventing ADV from re-aquiring any of the series.
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote
DClark wrote:
e-imi wrote:

I'm sure they'd love to, but their licenses have been revoked. I don't think ADV wants to disappoint fans of the series, but if it's a matter of ADV getting gouged to the point of taking a loss to re-aquire the series, I'd rather they stick to their guns until the license owners become more reasonable. ADV must've paid something to someone to get those series in the first place, and the fallout with Sojitz means the license holders are now asking ADV to pay twice. That's assuming Sojitz doesn't still have a say in the matter and is preventing ADV from re-aquiring the series at any cost.

I'm personally collecting Tokyo Majin and I'll be disappointed if ADV can't complete the series, but I'm of the opinion that if it means ADV would have to take a loss to re-aquire the series they've lost they should walk away from them. Hopefully Greenfield's statement was directed more at the license holders in hopes of getting a more reasonable deal for reaquiring the series, though considering all the series they've recently aquired still seem to be revoked I think Sojitz may be preventing ADV from re-aquiring any of the series.
Yes DClark. It IS Sojitz who's preventing ADV from keeping the licensing on these titles.

I'm actaully starting to believe that the problem ADV has had this year is with Sojitz and the license deals, It's apparant that Sojitz is not willing to compromise and is stopping ADV from releasing and completeling these titles so anger should be directed at "Sojitz" not ADV.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Were the episodes played of KIBA dubbed or subbed?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
Well at least they're around. I'll be around to check on what they have, because I do like some of the titles from ADV.
RDespair

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
They only showed the first episode of Kiba (thanks to the Q&A session at the beginning, they didn't have enough time for both) and it was dubbed. The dub seemed rather well done to me. As for the show itself, I wasn't too impressed. It was animated well enough, but the plot felt pretty generic (maybe it gets better later on, I don't know).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
I accept that their problems weren't their fault. I accept they've taken the most financially viable option. I accept that licensing new shows might eventually heal their general reputation.
I don't however accept that I am still to trust ADV. They've been forced to upset me and as a result I've lost confidence in them from a personal perspective.
Kiba might be a good show, but like one of my absolute favourite series my interest in ADV's current projects is suspended indefinitely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dark Chi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
DClark wrote:
e-imi wrote:

Yes DClark. It IS Sojitz who's preventing ADV from keeping the licensing on these titles.

I'm actaully starting to believe that the problem ADV has had this year is with Sojitz and the license deals, It's apparant that Sojitz is not willing to compromise and is stopping ADV from releasing and completeling these titles so anger should be directed at "Sojitz" not ADV.

You really do sound like you work for ADV.

On a separate note, it sounds like ADV isn't throwing t-shirts anymore or sounding their drum to cattle call their fans to rush their booth and make asses of themselves. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Dark Chi on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote
I forgot about Kiba,. After losing a majority of their titles, I had to wonder if they had anything to sneak peak at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
Dark Chi wrote:

You really do sound like you work for ADV.

On a separate note, it sounds like ADV isn't throwing t-shirts anymore or sounding their drum to cattle call their fans to rush their booth and make asses of themselves. Rolling Eyes

Well, for one thing, they don't HAVE a booth this year. Instead someone employee who also runs a DVD shop has set up a simple vendor table in their spot.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
ADV's situation has me a bit down. I remember back in the old days of VHS, how they were THE dominant company, the only one that could afford the license to a little show called Evangelion, and famous for their shameless and often raunchy and exaggerated back-of-box copy.

How the mighty have fallen. I just hope they don't fall any further.

What can ADV do to get back on its feet? One area they always seem to have lagged behind other companies in has been TV. They saved all their shows (except Milk-Chan, look how well that turned out) for the Anime Network, which, let's face it, wasn't exactly a stellar success.

Meanwhile, the leaders/survivors in this industry: FUNimation, Bandai, and Viz, all have historically had a strong TV presence, and each boasts a major longrunning franchise or two that has aired on US TV.

Maybe that's the direction ADV needs to go in. Invest in a long-running franchise (um, are there any left to license?) and get it on Cartoon Network or some other highly visible network.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2