• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Law Journal Article Supports Fansubs

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:13 am Reply with quote
for all it's flaws, God i love our legal system in this country, checks and balances where no matter what law passes it can be vetoed or even struck down by a judge
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
The headline should read: NEWS: Law Journal Article Supports Fansubs

Other than that, interesting article though I severely doubt the motivation of it as very few anime series are released in an edited only version. (Though this article further cements my belief that 4kids/Toei's Pun Piece set back the reputation of anime dubs and anime DVD sales by orders of magnitude.)
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
Someone call me when an actual lawyer who has experience in this field decides to write about the topic.

As I've learned, J.D. candidates can write about pretty much anything, and most of it usually fails to follow logic or the existing rules of law which already provide the same type of protection they're calling for.

An interesting article, but completely ignores the standards of contracts between the originator and distributor, aspects of laws and regulations within this country, etc.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
Yeah, if this proposed that the original creators be able to release an unedited subtitled version in Region 1, I could see this actually going somewhere.
Pero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
I could actually see the shows as they are, how nice.

Supposing a law like that proceed
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
That would be a great law! As an artist and animator, I fully support this law! If they need someone to sit in front of Congress and tell them to enact this law, call me!
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to see another young person in higher education share his thoughts on this subject. I do like his ideas on distribution, edited/unedited.
My only gripe, is that he went from the standpoint of edited vs unedited, which today isn't the case as much as it use to be. Sure they do cut things for broadcast, but unless its deemed a kids show they do release unedited versions.
(Unless they're 4kids who releases unedited version then drops them Evil or Very Mad )

Even with those gripes aside, I'm happy to see something positive on fansubs for once. Although I'm sure that positivity,before this thread leaves the first page overruled and deemed "made by an individual who's unseasoned." Excuses no?

Last edited by britannicamoore on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:04 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
As good as this all sounds, what about the companies that hold the licences of these anime titles?

Yes the idea of seeing anime unedited/uncut sounds fantastic, but realistically speaking I don't think that is possible via television. The reason is because of copy right laws and angry parents that wouldn't want their kids to hear the uncut version of popular anime titles.

On a separate note, I am surprized to see a lawyer of all people to be supporting fansubs. I wonder if he actually knows that fansubs and illegal downloading is what is damaging the dvd market?
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
I doubt the writer of the article actually has a clue to what's going on concerning fansubs.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote
That is true. Fansubs and illegal downloading is ruining the dvd market.
While I like to watch anime uncut, many anime are uncut. Unless they are broadcasted, some parts are cut out, but on DVD, its completely unedited. Yes, 4kids did heavily edit anime, but as you can see, they no longer do One Piece. Funimation does this anime now, and they have been releasing it in its uncut glory.
As for fansubs becoming legal, that would be hell for anime fans. I know some of you watch fansubs, and I have before too, but compared to professional translators, fansubbers do not do a good job. I would leave that job to the professionals.
For the most part though, as far as dubbing companies go, 4kids has not been dubbing as much anime as they used to, and the anime they do dub right now, aren't worth watching.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the writer even buys DVDs...
Rawshark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
If that's an accurate summary of what's written, just wow. Laughing

4kids must be stopped from butchering such fine anime as Sonic X and Kirby. Save me fansubbers.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
I doubt the writer of the article actually has a clue to what's going on concerning fansubs.

I doubt you bothered to actually read the paper and figure out what the author is actually proposing, and why.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry but there is no chance in hell of this law ever getting passed. If you know the old saying "Money talks, bullshit walks", you would know that every company cares utmost about its earnings from their licenses. If they feel that they have to release things cut and edited to turn in a profit and gain market recognition, they can do that.

Take Blue Dragon for instance. It is only getting a cut up release because Viz and TV Tokyo deem it a kids show and Viz is not aiming for the older demographic for this license. However, considering that they also have legal rights to the animation franchise, they are within authority to shut down fansub distribution of this show. Never mind that they're releasing the show edited and screwing over the Toriyama fanbase.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:

I doubt you bothered to actually read the paper and figure out what the author is actually proposing, and why.
I did read the article, and what the author is suggesting is a nightmare. Even if there were just an edited version of an anime availible, it's illegal for anyone who doesn't own the rights to put the show up for download/stream. In these days, most companies do unedited versions, so this is a non issue. Doing what the author proposed is still robbing the Japanese license holders of money, whether an unedited version is availible or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7