• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Clever/Intelligent Character Tourney Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

L's biggest weakness is that he tends to jump to (the correct) conclusions with very little information. This means he is either a genius who is a strong contender for the semifinals, or a character who has progressed too far on the back of bad writing on the part of Tsugumi Ohba. I suppose that whether you support him or not will depend on which view you take on the nature of his abilities.

Oh, yeah, that. I always found that interesting. Fun fact: In Death Note v. 13, (the bonus book with interviews and stuff), Ohba was asked why L jumps to some of the conclusions he does so early. I mean he's right, and he gives reasons later, but how is he able to throw out such uncanny percentages of something being correct and incorrect right off? What do they mean? ("There is an 8% chance he is Kira," etc.)

Ohba said the constant use of percentages was deliberate and basically what they mean is that L is a compulsive liar. With good reason as he has to protect his identity and connections, but it comes out in weird habits of his, this being one of them. Ohba stated that whenever L threw out a percentage of any kind, no matter the number, it meant that he knew with complete certainty that this was true and just needed those around him to believe there was some basis for it when really L was just judging character and waiting for actual evidence to present itself later.

He attributed this to the fact that L understood Kira very well, and that since they thought and operated the same way, albeit on different sides, and he was so proud and experienced, he always went with his gut and used hack statistics to get the task force to have faith in him. So, he acknowledged that L was fond of jumping to conclusions, but it worked out okay because he really did know Light's mind. He didn't, however, necessarily have the proof to back anything up yet, so he pretended it was some complex logic process with bogus percentages.

I only think this makes him more madly intelligent, but yeah, there you go.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote
Round 3 is now closed.

Sorry, guys; totally dropped the ball on this one. Took a nap in between watching episodes of something last night, and lo and behold, suddenly it's morning. . . Rolling Eyes

Anyway, official results are now available here. Looks like Light survived his stiffest challenge yet by pulling away in the end, while Balalaika dramatically closed the gap in her match, but it was too little, too late. Everything would seem to be setting up for a Light/Aramaki collision in two rounds, but freaky things happen in these tourneys, so don't bet on anything yet!

Because of how overdue I am in getting the next round set up, the Power Poll will be up in a separate post later in the day.

EDIT: Apparently I wasn't awake yet when I did this post initially. Corrected now.

Last edited by Key on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Looks like L survived his stiffest challenge yet, though not by much. Will he have an easier time with Washu? One would think so, but the are some anti-L forces out there.

You must still be groggy. You mean Light, right?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
Round 4 Group A voting is now closed.

As the days get shorter in the Northern Hemisphere, so do the brackets! We have all-new video clips up this time, including an extra-long one for Shikamaru, which I'm allowing since it's one continuous scene.

This round also brings up possibly our biggest face-off to date, as top Death Note and GITS characters collide, but really, no one left in this bracket is a push-over. Should be interesting!

Guide: Group A Guide

Group A-29
L, Death Note [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell franchise [ Video Clip ]

Winner: L
Total: 15-10

Group A-30
Ayumu Narumi, Spiral [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Shikamaru Nara, Naruto [ Video Clip ]

Winner: Shikamaru
Total: 15-10

Last edited by Key on Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote
Group A-29
vs.

Motoko Kusanagi.

Group A-30
vs.

Shikamaru Nara.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:32 am Reply with quote
Wow braves, you must have really fast Internet (or a time machine) if you can watch (let alone load) all four videos in eight minutes. I salute you and your mad "skillz".
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
POWER POLL #1

As with the last tournament, the Power Poll rankings are determined by the percentage of possible votes each contestant earned over the previous rounds. Do keep in mind that they do not account for strength of competition, which only figures in if a tiebraker is needed.

After three rounds, here are the current rankings for survivors:

1. Aramaki, 92.2%
2. The Count, 89.1%
3. Johan, 86.8%
4. Horo, 85.9%
5. L, 83.3%
6. Lupin, 79.4%
7. The Major (Motoko Kusanagi), 78.8%
8. Washu, 78.1%
9. Kiichi Goto, 76.5%
10. Light, 75%
11. Lelouch, 73.5%
12. Shikamaru, 72.7%
13. Ayumu, 69.7%
14. Aizen, 68.8%
15. Akio Ohtori, 64.1%
16. Robespierre, 57.8%

Does this ranking mean anything? Not necessarily. Last tournament, the duo who was dead last after the first three rounds made it to the Final Four. (However, the duo that was ranked #2 at the same time also won it all.)
braves

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:38 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Wow braves, you must have really fast Internet (or a time machine) if you can watch (let alone load) all four videos in eight minutes. I salute you and your mad "skillz".

LOL. I've watched all 4 of these series (a few episodes of Spiral, all of Death Note, and almost all of GITS and Naruto), so I think that I know the characters pretty well.

But yeah, being on vacation with a fast internet connection is nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
LOL. I've watched all 4 of these series (a few episodes of Spiral, all of Death Note, and almost all of GITS and Naruto), so I think that I know the characters pretty well.

But yeah, being on vacation with a fast internet connection is nice.

There are people who have watched almost all of Naruto? My God, you're brave. Oh yeah, that makes sense. Ha ha ha.

Anyway, sorry for thinking you were a big meanie. I hope you are having some well-deserved Rest and Relaxation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, I watched Shikamaru's clip and he was pretty darn good I have to say. Sure, his opponent wasn't too bright, but he still owes his victory to cunning, cleverness, manipulation and forward planning. That's a powerful combination. He didn't know what his opponent had up her sleeve, but he knew she had something. Bad people in Shounen almost always do. All he had to do was plan ahead, so that even if he was losing he still had her right where he wanted her. Yes, that video had the "Wow" factor alright.

Ayumu has definitely got his work cut out for him. I look forward to watching his clip as soon as it finishes loading.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
Match A-29: The Major (Ghost in the Shell)
Both of them are pretty competent investigators and know how to get their hands on information they need. However, L's social skills aren't exactly on par with the Major. L favors his own approach to investigating matters over the thoughts of others and this sort of arrogance has caused him to have conflicts with those he is leading in the Kira investigation. All of Motoko's fellow soldiers favor the woman's judgment and decisions quite strongly, even The Chief. So I'm gonna go with The Major this round.

Match A-30: Shikamaru (Naruto)
I'm still in strong opposition of Ayumu having advanced this far in the tourney. Nontheless, both he and his opponent have used their brains to get out of some pretty dire situations demonstrating some good skills in foresight. However, I give my vote to Shikamaru spoiler[due to the leaderships skills he shown in the Sasuke Retrieval arc. Being his first mission as a Chuunin, Shikamaru had thorough knowledge of the strengths of each Genin who assisted him in the mission which allowed him to come up with the best possible battle formations that would be useful as both a defense and scouter to keep an eye out for enemies.]
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote
A-29 : The Major

Explanation below and I believe she wins hands down in this one despite L strength.

A-30 : Shikamaru

I figure he's the smarter one.

dtm42 wrote:
L and Major Motoko Kusanagi.

I'm heavily leaning towards L myself, mainly because Motoko's video in the previous round was kind of weak. To be persuaded to vote for her, I need a good clip and some insightful arguments.

Her clip is a good one this time. I only had to see the first few frames to know that. Watch it, or watch the episode it is based on (episode 11 of 2nd GiG, as I recall. I could be wrong, though. It's Saito reminiscing about his past).

I would highly suggest reading the manga if you haven't done so. It's much faster than watching the entire GitS franchise and is a masterwork in its own right, so you should read it anyway.

My argument in favor of the Major : As an investigator and supported by much stronger writing than in Death Note, she manages much more complex situations than L did with her wide variety of skills in a more believable fashion. L seemed limited in what he could do at times, as opposed to the Major who has back-ups in the form of Section 9 and the Tachikomas. It could be argued that she only succeeds in her missions because of Section 9 and I agree, but I'll point out that Section 9 and the power surrounding it were built on her ability to do get things done. In essence, she built Section 9 into what it is, making each member a part of her as much as she is Section 9.

L fails in this, taking outside help for granted and not having a hand in their formation. The Major is simply smarter for having constructed the tools that support whatever it is she wants to accomplish. To sum up, L is alone and doesn't build effectively enough toward his goals, but the Major places her entire trust in both herself and what she has, the mark of a survivor and a (later on) hyper-aware supreme intellect if you ask me. Smile
guet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
Group A-29
vs.

Voting for: L

Reason: The Major is some strong competion (that episode is one of my favorites). For now I have to give the slight edge to L, his brains are the basis of his character and he shows this about every time he is on screen, while the Major is much more action oriented, and does not get a chance to show off her intellectual side as often. Plus, she really doesn't have to make the hard choices most of the time working under a man like the Cheif.

Vote change: Possible

Group A-30
vs.

Voting for: Shikamaru Nara

Reason: Shikamaru's clips have been good, but his shining moments really were shown recently in the Shippuuden series. His tactical and leadership skills have improved quite a bit. I watched the latest arc, after reading here how the show was getting better. I was actually impressed, in large part because of how far ahead Shikamaru is able to plan during a major battle against two much stronger opponents.

Vote change: Low
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
A-29: voting for Motoko Kusanagi

Because I think that, like Light, L's 'intelligence' seems to be greatly exaggerated by the stupidity of the people he works with. Also, while his deductive reasoning may come in handy solving murder cases and what have you, that seems to be his singular talent, aside from tennis. Motoko has a much wider range of genuinely useful talents and great proficiency with each of them. I'm glad that her clip this week is from the POKER FACE episode - Saito himself is no pushover when it comes to planning and strategy

One could make the argument that a lot of Motoko's ability comes from the strength of her team, but since she seems to have hand-picked a lot of her backup before Section 9 even got started (and even afterward - she was the one who recruited Paz and Togusa, if I remember right, although what exactly Paz ever does besides have ugly shoes is still a mystery to me), I'd say that was a mark toward her cleverness as well. She realizes that even though she's good at practically everything she still needs the rest of the team to back her up or help her multitask, so she surrounds herself with the right sort of people. L just sort of uses his people for grunt work while thinking he can do everything himself, a strategy that obviously didn't work too well for him.

A-30: voting for Shikamaru Nara

I'm working based on rather limited experience with each series, but the guide, video clip, and other votes have convinced me to vote for Shikamaru. Ayumu's cleverness seems like it would only come in handy within his series, whereas Shikamaru seems to have more of a generally useful skill set.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Group A-29
vs.

L gets my vote here. I really think this grouping is all very good, but it's time to get rid of some, and I think L is more worthy of moving on.

Group A-30
vs.

I have seen all of Spiral, and a lot of Naruto, and while I can completely see how strong Shikamaru is, I have to vote for Ayumu Narumi. Some of his best moments aren't something that can be narrowed down into a clip form, and I remember being completely impressed by how smart this show was, and Narumi was always staying ahead of some very smart competition as well, not up against slouches. Some of his best stuff can't really be presented, however while this show ended poorly, I would love to see it again, it was always intense and interesting and more clever than your average ninja. While this is not as well known, I hope others have seen this show, and I can't complain too much against Shikamaru votes as he's certainly a very strong contender.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Group A-29
vs.

Hmm. This is a close one, but I think I'll have to go with Major Kusanagi. Even though L is the most convincing of purported "geniuses" in DN, that isn't saying much -- and the Major is always on top of things.

Nobody, even the smartest genius, can outwit everybody all the time. To my mind, a large part of being more clever than the rest consists of taking setbacks in stride, constantly adapting your plans to fit the actual situation. If your opponent is smart (as with the case of Gōda), you work around his admittedly brilliant successes, and come at him from his blind spot (because he does have his own weak spot -- everybody has one, it's just a matter of finding it). Both the Major and the Chief have this quality, in spades: they always have a Plan B.

Group A-30
vs.
Shikamaru Nara, Naruto [ Video Clip ][/quote]

I am completely undecided, and although I feel it's a bit of a copout at this late stage, I have decided to let my trusty Penny Britannica decide. It came out heads, and my vote goes to Ayumu Narumi.

- abunai
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 54 of 90