• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: FUNimation Announces Directors and Cast for Romeo X Juliet

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aluria

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow it finally got licensed. Wondering when Funimation would get around to it. . .

Meh to the cast, as long as the boxes got Japanese and Subs, I'm buying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Elisian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Yes, and with no sign of Todd Haberkorn!
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Yay for a dub! No matter how likely it might be, these days I'm always going to be pleasantly surprised to see a series getting an English release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see the series picked up and I'm even more pleasantly surprised by some of the casting choices. I love Brina Pallencia and Colleen Clickenbeard. So I am hoping they both give good performances on this show. Bevins is one of my favorite directors (being a fellow comic book nerd) and it's nice seeing him with a role, Mercutio no less, in the show as well. Plus you have Mike McFarland as Tybalt. McFarland is such an oddball and....crazy himself so Tybalt should fit him excellently. Depending on how crazed and bloodthristy they made Tybalt in the series compared to the original playwright. I haven't seen the shows except for bits and pieces of previews on the net so I'll be sure to pick this up as it comes out. Now if only someone would license Rosario + Vampire...after Shuffle I felt myself wanting more harem goodness. Common Funi, you got one so why not go for the gold with harems. Very Happy
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Now if only someone would license Rosario + Vampire...after Shuffle I felt myself wanting more harem goodness. Common Funi, you got one so why not go for the gold with harems. Very Happy

So long as they don't bother with Shuffle Memories.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
This looks like a good cast. An interesting mix of people we hear a lot and a few we've not heard much at all from. Brina Palencia having such a major role alone improves the awesome factor for this dub. Larissa Wolcott's done mostly ADV dubs. Nice to see her listed here.

I heard good things about this series from a number of posters back when it first came on in Japan (for the most part haven't seen said posters on ANN in a while) so I've been looking forward to this. Two half-season sets are kind to my wallet and even kinder to my shelves.

There are about a dozen series I'd like to see Funimation license and dub but right now I'm just really grateful that they aren't dropping dubs and making defective discs the way some of the other companies have been.

Here's to another year Lords of Texas! I'll be waiting for this release till it comes out.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Taliesin Jaffe and Eric Vale? With those two names in a staffing list, you've got me sold. Never heard of the actress who's playing Juliet, though. Maybe this is her big debut?
I am probably going to buy/watch this anime, but for a rather unconventional reason: the soundtrack is scored by Hitoshi Sakimoto. w00t.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:15 am Reply with quote
It's Romeo-f*cking-Juliet! Of course it has to English-ized!

Still, Romeo's a wuss! I should know; I played him a bit in high school, and I played him like a wuss, and everybody applauded! Laughing
mow123

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It's Romeo-f*cking-Juliet! Of course it has to English-ized!

Still, Romeo's a wuss! I should know; I played him a bit in high school, and I played him like a wuss, and everybody applauded! Laughing

Only in a very liberal sense is the anime related to the play. Other than the characters and a few plot similarities, this series is substantially different from the Shakespearean classic. Any purist will be sorely disappointed.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quote
I think he was saying it's not to surprising that it got licensed as even a non-anime consumer would be familiar with the story, now whether it's good or not is whole other can of beans, (I'm looking at you Hakugei: The Legend of Moby Dick) but for me as long as they don't try the "modern" Romeo + Juliet story with Victorian English, it'll be good.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
Taliesin Jaffe and Eric Vale? With those two names in a staffing list, you've got me sold. Never heard of the actress who's playing Juliet, though. Maybe this is her big debut?
I am probably going to buy/watch this anime, but for a rather unconventional reason: the soundtrack is scored by Hitoshi Sakimoto. w00t.
Brina Palencia's debut?

She also played...
Ai Enma in Hell Girl
Yue Ayase in Negima
Chopper in One Piece
Nina Tucker in Fullmetal Alchemist
Maho in Beck
Mikoto Suou in Suzuka

...and a bunch of other major and minor roles.

aluria wrote:
Wow it finally got licensed. Wondering when Funimation would get around to it. . .
They're not just now announcing the license; I was at their Anime Central panel back in May when they originally announced it (though C&Ds had been sent before then).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1