• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simulcast Reborn! Anime Worldwide

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
detective392

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean it's going to be another online show where we will never see a dvd release in America?
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I have been praying for this and now it is reality, I am sooooooo happy. but I do hope we get an r1 dvd release and an english dub.
LKK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
detective392 wrote:
Does this mean it's going to be another online show where we will never see a dvd release in America?

Not necessarily. The Tower of Druaga series has been running on Crunchyroll and is also licensed by Funimation for (presumably) DVD release. I don't think we should assume that Crunchyroll distribution automatically means no R1 DVD release.
domino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for simulcasting new episodes of stuff, but why do they keep picking shows that are already past their 100th episode? I'd be a lot more excited for something new starting with episode 1. Great that we get to see Reborn episode 140 the same day that Japan does, but what about us who haven't seen episodes 1 through 139?

And more importantly, I want my 100+ episodes of Gintama on DVD before I start caring about simulcasting.

I guess Crunchyroll is just going for popular Shonen Jump stuff for now, but it feels like a good idea with bad execution this way...
Been awhile since there has been a new big hit at Jump (heck, I've been unimpressed with new anime since 2006), but when it comes, I hope that Crunchyroll will start simulcasting at episode 1.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
This would help build a fanbase incase there is a DVD release. But this begs the question, if the show is allowed to remain on CR because of deals with Japan, why should most people even care about a DVD when it's always available for free? Legally at that.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Cool more good new on the streaming front.

For those questioning "Why a DVD release"? a few simple answers

1. Not every customer has a computer/internet connection (NA market is shrinking in numbers of those who fall under that category, but still the number is still there, like my anime start, no interwebs means no streaming.)

2. Dubbing, they generally sell better, so if there would be a dub on the DVD release it would be for those who have that preference.

3. Collectors, hey some people have a hoard mentality when it comes to their hobbies (and putting them on shelves and talking at length about them) Almost like a conversation piece when you have guests or salesman in your home.

So yeah that pretty much sums up why there could be a DVD release.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
So, will all the previous episodes be up on Crunchyroll, too?
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Crunchyroll is more of a "Here is the closest your gonna get to Japanese Television until we either get the cast and DVD procedure set up or to see how much you like it to determine the type of DVDs we want to make." It's the same thing in the US.

Probably the main reasons why anyone would want to own DVDs of a TV series is generally quality, larger resolution, love and marathoning. Okay maybe not that last part but you get he idea. Some people may have slow internet or capped bandwidth so consist streaming isn't the best option if they wanna catch more then 1 episode a day. In the US its a mix of all that and convienence for the consumer. Being able to choose when you want to watch your show without having to worry if you recorded the show or your internet is working properly is important to fans and DVD owners in general.

And all the stuff LordRedhand said too. Smile
Expias

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
They only mentioned for the membership subscriptions. Is it still going to be like Gintama where you wait before the free members can watch the videos as well?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
There goes yet another anime that could have been brought to USA. I was hoping that Funimation would license this, but now that Crunchyroll has this, I don't think we'll this is in the states any
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
There goes yet another anime that could have been brought to USA. I was hoping that Funimation would license this, but now that Crunchyroll has this, I don't think we'll this is in the states any

well Funimation did license two shows that were orginally streamed by crunchyroll. so I think that this was a C and D title. the chances of this getting licensed is pretty high
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I've had a mild interest in Reborn so hopefully they release the previous episodes in chunks like they have with most of the other shows they've been streaming, that's the only way I'll be watching.

Also, on the website they're saying they'll be adding a "ton" of new Spring season shows to their simulcast as well as new catalog shows with announcements to be made soon.

domino wrote:
(heck, I've been unimpressed with new anime since 2006)

Yikes! Maybe you've been watching the wrong shows? 2008 was an exceptional year, easily one of the best we've had in a long time. Vampire Knight (and its sequel), Kure-nai, Natsume Yuujinchou (and its sequel), Kennagi, Casshern Sins, and Toradora! and many others were all (and some currently still are) exceptional titles, all receiving "very good" to "excellent" average ratings.

Emerje

Last edited by Emerje on Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
magicalgirlj wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

well Funimation did license two shows that were orginally streamed by crunchyroll. so I think that this was a C and D title. the chances of this getting licensed is pretty high

Well lets hope so. I do remember the cease and desist. I don't trust Crunchyroll to do the right action so this is why I am worried.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
In any case this might mean that the streaming is working to a degree with so many shows being licensed for streaming. It's still to soon to say its what anime has been looking for or if Crunchyroll is doing it properly but at least it doesn't seem like it was the wrong approach either.
tenebrusmke79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
magicalgirlj wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Well lets hope so. I do remember the cease and desist. I don't trust Crunchyroll to do the right action so this is why I am worried.

As you know, Crunchyroll is still allowing Blassreiter and Tower of Druaga to be shown on their website in the original Japanese language, even though Funimation have licensed them for the English-language release. The reason why is that Crunchyroll still retains the right to stream the anime series as they still have the content streaming deal with Gonzo.

Since Reborn is a TV Tokyo-produced anime, and along with Naruto, and several other anime that are produced by TV Tokyo, Reborn will go the same way and be shown on Crunchyroll.

You can go ahead and worry, if that is what you want to do, but the fact remains that CR has asked for and received permission to stream the Reborn anime from TV Tokyo.

I, for one, am excited about this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3