• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shimatani Hitomi

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Who here has heard any of her music? By the way she going to be singing Angelus for Inuyasha. I find her music to be quite different from the rest of the Japanese pop music. To me it seems/sounds very western and J-pop at the same time, its a nice mix.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
sacchan

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Yes, her music is a bit different from the usual pop music. When she first came out, she sang enka(traditional Japanese music--sort of like country music in the U.S.). All enka singers need to be good singers, so Shimatani is, too Smile

Shimatani's most popular song was "Amairo no kami no otome", covering a song that was a hit decades ago.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:38 am Reply with quote
sacchan wrote:
enka(traditional Japanese music--sort of like country music in the U.S.).

Well, not to go horribly off-topic, but Enka really isn't very "traditional"; 150 years ago it didn't even exist, and there's strong evidence that suggests Masao Koga (the man who popularized enka) was influenced by a wide range of musical sources when he began writing songs.

Enka (演歌) means "performance song", suggesting it's similar to what street actors sang.. but I doubt modern Enka is very similar at all. The modern incarnation of Enka is the Ryukyu pentatonic scale, with European harmonies (and instruments, usually)... probably with Korean and Chinese influence, too (it's not too far-fetched an idea, given that Japan fought with China and Russia in that time (1895-1905) for control of Korea)...

Likewise, country isn't very "traditional" either, even though it descends from a "traditional" source. Songs that we consider "country" today are heavily influenced by rock-and-roll (another modern music invention!).

*shrug* There's your little history lesson for the day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sacchan

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I guess "traditional" may not have been the best word, but enka has a feel of "the music that the older generation listens to." Although nowadays, it's trying to pull in more younger listeners with pop idol-ish Hikawa Kiyoshi and other young and trendy singers (Shimatani was one of these at first).

I'm not a big fan of enka myself. But my mom and dad love it...so there's the generation gap Smile
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:27 am Reply with quote
sacchan wrote:
I'm not a big fan of enka myself. But my mom and dad love it...so there's the generation gap :)

Yeah. Hmm... It's probably closer to what we would call "oldies" in America; songs from the 50s and 60s that aren't popular with the younger generation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1