• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Gallery in Japan - Felipe Smith

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit that I had a really hard time seeing MBQ as a manga because neither the art style nor the storytelling style is manga-like at all-- except the use or tones-- but Peepo Choo I could accept. It's nothing that'll run in Jump, but this really looks great, something edgy and fitting for Morning.

But I'd probably read it before really judging =P
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Good for him achieving his dream. Breaking cultural boundaries is the way to go for cultivating creativity.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Why is everyone constantly flipping me off in his pictures? I'm sorry, but I hate when people overuse curse words or the middle finger. Dude. No. I haven't actually read either of them, but it's a pretty clear sign that we share two completely different senses of humor. -_- I don't know about you, but to me, offensive does not equal funny. Actual wit equals funny. I'm totally tired of pointlessly offensive humor, I get enough of it from my classmates, I get enough it from TV. Can I see something that's actually funny and not just a whole bunch of insults and f-you's? Am I asking too much or is this just a sign of society getting too lazy to actually attempt real humor?

Please, if you've read any of this guy's stories, tell me if it's actually funny or anything.

For the record, I don't consider OEL manga to be manga. Manga is Japanese, end of story. Just because it has a storyline doesn't mean it's manga. Lots of American comics (and European stuff, etc.) have storylines and don't go on forever and have only one artist, etc. Just because it's not Japanese doesn't mean I won't look at it, so stop labeling stuff "manga", like manga is somehow inherently superior to other comics. Like it's a shame to call it a comic or a graphic novel or sequential art. I don't mind "manga-inspired" or "manga-influenced" but it's not "manga". OEL manga in itself sounds like contradiction.

(Sorry for the rant.)
Aikoh

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
It's good to see more non-Japanese breaking into the manga industry. The art looks fantastic in Peepo Choo and I'd be interested in picking it up one of these days.

Altorrin wrote:
For the record, I don't consider OEL manga to be manga. Manga is Japanese, end of story. Just because it has a storyline doesn't mean it's manga. Lots of American comics (and European stuff, etc.) have storylines and don't go on forever and have only one artist, etc. Just because it's not Japanese doesn't mean I won't look at it, so stop labeling stuff "manga", like manga is somehow inherently superior to other comics. Like it's a shame to call it a comic or a graphic novel or sequential art. I don't mind "manga-inspired" or "manga-influenced" but it's not "manga". OEL manga in itself sounds like contradiction.

I'm not trying to back-seat moderate, and you do have the right to state your opinion, but can we please not turn this into yet another "definition of manga" debate?
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Peepo Choo has striked my interest as a Western Comic published in Japan, but I think I'll skip MBQ because it looks like a scrapped Adult Swim cartoon.

Besides, I read some of MBQ through Amazon's preview, and it reeked of wigger.
old_yoshi

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm not interested. It looks like he has talent, but I'm not interested in stories where all the dialog is swearing or flipping people off.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:

While MBQ is indeed OEL, Peepo Choo isn't. It's original language of publication is Japanese. I guess that makes it OJL...

On one hand, Felipe obviously isn't Japanese, so if the ultimate definition of "manga" for you is "was created by a Japanese individual," then Peepo isn't manga.

For ANN, the definition we use, from our FAQ, is "Manga are comic books or strips that are produced and conceived in Japan. " An additional argument for calling Peepo "manga" is that it's created for Japanese consumers, not Westerners.

Ultimately, I (and ANN) consider Peepo "manga." But at the end of the day, it's just semantics. All that really matters is whether or not the reader likes it.

-t
StickyToffeePopcorn

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Peepo Choo has managed to become my most anticipated manga in yeeeaaars, and to be honest (although I know it's dumb) I never would've expected that from a foreign manga artist.

My only worry is that any eventual translation will be riddled with overused ebonics, as MBQ just sounded dumb to me.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
old_yoshi wrote:
I'm not interested. It looks like he has talent, but I'm not interested in stories where all the dialog is swearing or flipping people off.

Altorrin wrote:
Why is everyone constantly flipping me off in his pictures? I'm sorry, but I hate when people overuse curse words or the middle finger. Dude. No. I haven't actually read either of them, but it's a pretty clear sign that we share two completely different senses of humor.

Only two of the eight images in the article feature flipping off and it's the same character both times. Let's get a grip here, people.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
I haven't actually read either of them

Maybe you should do so before going on and on about how much you don't like them.
Sprocket

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
StickyToffeePopcorn wrote:
My only worry is that any eventual translation will be riddled with overused ebonics, as MBQ just sounded dumb to me.

If Peepo Choo is ever brought over here, considering Felipe's writing it, I'm sure he has an English language script on standby for whatever publisher picks it up. Whether that script is any good will be up to you, of course. Probably even kept the original art, sans word balloons too, just in case. I'm not holding my breath on it coming over here, though.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
Aw, no actual interview? And I do believe that manga artists are bonkers for all the work they have to do. I would hate to have a work schedule like that.
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
aw i glad your feeling better Evan. I support you!!

*googles peepo choo*
Dalf

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
You know, I always tought it was weird that this guy wasn't mentioned very often in the manga/anime community. I mean, he's a westerner publishing a manga in Japan! That stuff doesn't happen all the time. He's an inspiration to a lot of western wanna-be mangakas.
His stuff looks a little weird and exaggerated, but I think that's what the japanese editors were after: something that wasn't found in regular manga, something with a different and unique flavor.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Dalf wrote:
His stuff looks a little weird and exaggerated, but I think that's what the japanese editors were after: something that wasn't found in regular manga, something with a different and unique flavor.
You mean, manga in general isn't weird and exaggerated?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2