• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Umineko no Naku Koro ni Anime's Promo Video Streamed [2009-06-15]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for this. Hopefully it can live upto Higurashi no Naka Koro ni. If so it'll possibily be one of the top shows of the summer season alongside the new Zetsubou Sensei.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
Out of all the series that are coming out for the summer season, this is by far one of most anticipated series. And from what I heard, the Higurashi staff of Studio DEEN are actually going to give this adaptation a lot of care. And MAN, those character designs look rather pretty; fanboys and fangirls are definitely going to get there fill in this one!
Anath_19

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Can't wait for this. Hopefully it can live upto Higurashi no Naka Koro ni. If so it'll possibily be one of the top shows of the summer season alongside the new Zetsubou Sensei.

I've read all four of the sound novels released so far, and I can say that unless they really screw up the anime, this will be way better than Higurashi.

I'm glad to see that they kept Akiko Shikata for making the OP theme, because her theme for the Umineko game fit it perfectly. The character designs look amazing, too. I cannot wait to finally see this.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Looking good! Very Happy I've been trying to play this game with the English patch for awhile, but I just can't get it to start past the config screen after installing...=\ At least I can play vicariously through the anime!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
evening

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Umineko is the one anime I've been looking forward to this season. The visual novels are amazing, one of the best series I have ever read. I'm just crossing my fingers that Studio DEEN can live up to my expectations.
I'm kind of curious how they're going to handle thespoiler[ red and blue truths ]in the series.
rinjichan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The cast includes Daisuke Ono as Battler Ushiromiya, Marina Inoue as Jessica Ushiromiya, Sayaka Ohara as Beatrice, and Yui Horie as Maria Ushiromiya.

Are you guys sure it's BATTLER and not BUTLER?

I haven't played the game, so I might be totally off, but one seems more likely than the other.
evening

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Definately Battler. Most of the characters have English names, although I did blink when I read Battler.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
While I did like Higurashi a lot, it had so many flaws in the transition from Visual Novel to the anime, especially with the inner thoughts of the characters. It was especially bad during Meakashi-hen. In the game, we get a whole lot more of spoiler[Shion's] motivations and reasoning behind her actions. Almost none of that was in the anime. I had to rely on the Japanese posters over at A****s**i to fill in the blanks for me.

I think that since the game has been fully translated to date (with the acknowledgment/approval of Ryuukishi07 even) fans will be a bit more critical about this. The VN does a lot of things that can only be accomplished within the medium, the spoiler[red and blue truths] being the most obvious example of this.

I'm cautiously hoping for the best here, but I'm not holding my breath either.

PS:
SongstressCela wrote:

Looking good! Very Happy I've been trying to play this game with the English patch for awhile, but I just can't get it to start past the config screen after installing...=\ At least I can play vicariously through the anime!

Try using AppLocale or setting your computer's regional setting to Japanese to get it working. That's generally the most common reason that the game doesn't start playing.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Higurashi showed me that anime can be scary, really freaking scary so lets hope this series is at least at the same level.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I am both pleased and disappointed by this PV...

I'm very pleased with the art style, the characters look even more human than the Higurashi adaptation and they have that well defined 'eye' emotion as I saw in Maria. Also, I'm glad to see very grade A choices in the voice actors, I forgot that Yui Horie was participating in another 07th Expansion anime adaptation and her performance for Hanyuu was very suiting in Higurashi. I think she'll capture Maria's demented behavior well, especially considering we only got to see a glimpse of her more 'serious' tone in Koroni Kai.

Now... Onto the disliking. It really only lies with one thing... I think they're not using the sound novel OP. What gives? I thought out of all the things they could carry over, that would be one... I noticed at least whatever song is being played, it has the same artist from the sound novel intro but I really don't find it as appealing as the original.

Ah well, still excited for the premier, whenever it 'exactly' is in july.
Anath_19

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

Ah well, still excited for the premier, whenever it 'exactly' is in july.

The earliest would be July 1st. There's a list at the end of the PV for which stations are airing it and what days they're starting to air it on.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
Higurashi showed me that anime can be scary, really freaking scary so lets hope this series is at least at the same level.

I don't know about the anime but...

The first chapter for Umineko, the novel itself...

Made me lose a night of sleep. It was pretty damn bad in terms of how unsettling it makes you. After spoiler[Eva and her husband get killed off, it just gets ungodly uncomfortable. Maria's behavior doesn't help either and then when it's finally down to just george, jessica, battler and maria, I just had to keep going so I could get it ****ing over with].

I do NOT scare easily when it comes to horror movie or games these days, so take my word for it, considering the fact that things happening in Umineko are spoiler[genuinely supernatural], it keep the fear high.
Evelas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Now... Onto the disliking. It really only lies with one thing... I think they're not using the sound novel OP. What gives? I thought out of all the things they could carry over, that would be one... I noticed at least whatever song is being played, it has the same artist from the sound novel intro but I really don't find it as appealing as the original.

I'm just happy they got the same singer to do the anime OP, and from what little I've heard, I may like this song more than the sound novel's OP. I'm more concerned with the background music. I think I read somewhere that dai (one of the main music composers for the sound novel) is attached to the sound team for the anime adaptation. From that, I'm figuring there will be some original music, but also adaptations of the songs from the sound novel.

Either way, as an avid fan of the original sound novel, I am very excited about this series and the promotional video only reinforces that. I wonder how they're going to handle the spoiler[red and blue text, along with the level of violence, as I think it far exceeds what was in Higurashi.]

Edit:
Kyogissun wrote:
Made me lose a night of sleep. It was pretty damn bad in terms of how unsettling it makes you. After spoiler[Eva and her husband get killed off, it just gets ungodly uncomfortable. Maria's behavior doesn't help either and then when it's finally down to just george, jessica, battler and maria, I just had to keep going so I could get it ****ing over with].

I do NOT scare easily when it comes to horror movie or games these days, so take my word for it, considering the fact that things happening in Umineko are spoiler[genuinely supernatural], it keep the fear high.

As someone who's read all that's been translated, and felt exactly the same way, trust me, it's gonna get worse. Laughing I only hope the anime manages to have the same feel.
Anath_19

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Evelas wrote:
I think I read somewhere that dai (one of the main music composers for the sound novel) is attached to the sound team for the anime adaptation. From that, I'm figuring there will be some original music, but also adaptations of the songs from the sound novel.

From the Umineko website:
Quote:
さらに!アニメBGMに関しても、原作でおなじみの楽曲のアレンジ版が使われることになりました!一部のシーンに関しては新録したアニメオリジナル楽曲も使用し、原作の世界観をアニメの世界に“再構築”します!

This basically states that they'll use arranged versions of songs from the original game, as well as some original music. It also mentions that they'll try to recreate the atmosphere of the game in the anime. Also, like you said, dai is involved in the sound team for the anime, so I don't think we have much to worry about the background music.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Here's a random question, and someone can PM me with an answer, but how do you guys play these games? Are you all fluent in Japanese? Are there fan-made translated versions easily available? Because heaven knows there are a number of VN games like Higurashi and Tsukihime that I'd like to play but can't because of which side of the Pacific I live on...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2