• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game -- RESULTS! Come view them! ^_^

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakura of Avalon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
Yes, that is correct. Let's see what you have for us.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
Actually, let's put that on HOLD! Anime smile

Murph, you can be the first to post a quote in the new thread, but this one is over! Very Happy I'll post the official scores and whatnot in...about an hour, actually. =X

Sorry, I have a couple errands to run, like, right now. But I do have some nice "gifts" for the top winners! (Air quotes denote them being intangible and completely useless, sorry. Wink )
Sakura of Avalon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
In the meantime, let's play a minigame:

JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Orihime from Bleach is saying "I wish I could have had five lives. Then I could have been born in five different towns, eaten five lifetimes worth of food, had five different careers, .... and fallen in love with the same person five times."] A really beautiful line from an unexpected source.

Ironically enough, a quote that was played in this game...and guessed by me...earlier.

So...give me several minutes, and I should have everything up. I'm...a wee bit swamped today. I wish my folks would stop treating me like their convenient yardwork slave every time I DON'T have work. Anime dazed I swear, ALL this week...!
Sakura of Avalon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Yep, that's right.

And now, something completely different while waiting:

JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Okay, here it is! (I didn't count Sakura of Avalon's last two minigames in any of the results here, just FYI.)

The top ten winners are...

1st place: JesuOtaku -- 48 points
2nd place: Furudanuki -- 39 points
3rd place: murph76 -- 30 points
4th place: Key -- 20 points
5th place: abunai -- 18 points
6th place: classicalzawa -- 16 points
7th place: dtm42 -- 14 points
8th place: Symmetrical_Magician -- 12 points
9th place: Dorcas_Aurelia -- 11 points
9th place: DerekTheRed -- 11 points

412 main quotes and 14 minigames, and theeeere's the end result. (By the way, I was positive Furudanuki was the winner before I tabulated all this. And I thought Key had a higher score than me. I was pretty surprised. Shocked )

Now my scoring was a little different from the picture game. I guess that's okay, right? I didn't award points for 48-hour stumpers, which may SEEM unfair, I don't know, but I started this game NOT to stump people, but to go quickly, and I know a couple people including myself, always tried to post easy, memorable quotes instead of hard ones. It didn't seem fair to give extra points that way, I guess...in the grand scheme of things, it wouldn't have changed placings much at all.

I just gave everyone one point for each correct guess, not counting rounds that were out of turn or Google-disqualified guesses. What I DID count was minigames. Correct guesses on minigames counted for one point just like the main game. I appreciate it when people jump on those. Anime smile

Here are the official results! It's nowhere near as cool as Derek's because there wasn't any math or automation involved...I'm not good with Excel, so I just did a lot of counting and cell sorting.

As you can see, there's a bit that's...uncompleted. I may finish the # of times a series was used tomorrow. For now, my brain is too tired. Kay? -.-'

I included in the rankings fun facts like a few users who had a penchant for using or guessing the same series, or users who seemed to have common tastes with other users in series' knowledge. <_< (Those two individuals who can speak Japanese and all that fancy stuff... Wink ) There were other fun facts off the top of my head, so you can read them! Sorry if you don't have a fun fact, I guess that just means you had more breadth and less trends in your guesses and posts, so, yay uniqueness!

It's fun, by the way, to sort by different names and series to catch commonalities and whatnot. See you all next round! Very Happy

EDIT: Uuuuuh. S***. I think when I did some altercating in the list sorting to check scores, I got some quotes out of chronological order. Shocked Crying or Very sad Well, nothing's inaccurate, but some of those suckers are definitely out of order. Sorry about that. Not sure how to remedy that...

I will now fetch my prizes for everybody, hang on, I have them tucked away in a folder somewhere... Twisted Evil
guet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Minigame is spoiler[Shirley from Code Geass R2 ]spoiler["No matter how many times I'm reborn..." etc after her encounter with Rolo. It's quote #168 from the results page.] I guessed it right the first time it was played, so I don't think looking at the sheet was cheating. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Sakura of Avalon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the results, I guess I should say the answers to the minigame pictures I posted but weren't guessed. (or in one case, didn't confirm)

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=789152#789152
"Heh, guess it's impossible. If I lay a hand on you when you're micronised, I'd get arrested for statutory."
Michel talking to Klan, Macross Frontier. dtm42 got the quote and obviously knows the source, even if he didn't give it.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=794627#794627
"What is the heart? Will I see it if I tear open your chest?"
Ulquiorra talking to Orihime, Bleach ep 215, when spoiler[they are in the throne room of Las Noches right before Ichigo came in to rescue her.] Yes, I did choose this one because it looks like he's about to grope her.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=795015#795015
"Pum, pum, pumpkin. Pumpkin Scissors!"
Sgt. Stekkin practicing her really embarrassing Pumpkin Scissors theme song to cheer up Randal, Pumpkin Scissors

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=797428#797428
"Hey you little brat, how are you friends with my Lena?"
Bruce interrogating Shiro, Mai-Otome 0 S.ifr episode 3, right after spoiler[Lena gave Shiro a kiss and flew off to fight the Schwarz]

guet wrote:
Minigame is spoiler[Shirley from Code Geass R2 ]spoiler["No matter how many times I'm reborn..." etc after her encounter with Rolo. It's quote #168 from the results page.] I guessed it right the first time it was played, so I don't think looking at the sheet was cheating. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Actually, you posted it, and dtm42 guessed it. But you're right. Two long oranged haired girls madly in love with the main character and claim that they spoiler[will fall in love with the main character repeatedly in any incarnation] during spoiler[their farewell.] >.>

Last edited by Sakura of Avalon on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for organizing this fun game and posting the results so far, JO Very Happy

Are there any trends in the data regarding genre? I find that a lot of the time I don't have a chance of guessing a picture or quote because it's from shounen anime, which I don't watch. Not that I'm much good at guessing other genres, but I though genre might be of influence. I recall someone on the manga guessing game saying that a lot of that game's early pictures came from shoujo manga, which limited the participants a bit.
guet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a picture that I actually know what's said during the scene so if others have one, feel free to take it over.

Not that it matters, but I'm positive dtm posted the quote that goes with the last picture. Oddly enough though I was the one that posted the quote that goes with the picture above it that JO guessed correctly twice.
Shattered Ishida

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Jes, thanks so much for taking the time to compile the list and results. And hey, I got a comment! lmao Both answers for Clannad. Pretty impressive considering I haven't seen all of the series yet. lmao Can't wait for the next round to begin.
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm blown away to be in third place. Shocked I never would have thought I was that high on the list.

Anyhow. I have the next quote ready to go. Jesu, when's the next round's thread going up?
Sakura of Avalon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Start the new topic yourself. You know you want to. Wink

Or if you don't, try this minigame:

guet wrote:
Not that it matters, but I'm positive dtm posted the quote that goes with the last picture. Oddly enough though I was the one that posted the quote that goes with the picture above it that JO guessed correctly twice.

Hmmm, you're right. It was dmt42 who posted the quote. Orihime and Shirley are too alike. >.>
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Top ten, nice.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Top ten, nice.

I concur.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 150 of 151