• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: UK's ITV Close to Signing Deal for Hulu Video Site

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's a start, but rather a lame one if it only included ITV content (i.e. I would have really liked access to Hulu back when we lost Sky from cable in order to watch shows like Bones).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
There has to be a service in the UK comparable to Britain already. Does one not exist?

I'm sure USA broadcast channels would want to make as much profit as possible. What's the hold up?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, Hulu is officially available only in the United States. If a deal is signed, it will not necessarily cover all the anime content currently on Hulu.

Aside the few titles which are already being streamed to the UK amongst other countries, I'd be very surprised if any other Hulu anime becomes available on Hulu UK. To my knowledge ITV do not hold the broadcast rights to any unedited anime shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote
It certainly will be interesting to see what shows in the Hulu catalogue will make it over. Obviously there's those that are likely tied up in other international distribution packages, but there's an awful lot on Hulu that's never been distributed in the UK, or hasn't been seen in decades.

Seeing as places like Comedy Central have open streaming for their shows that haven't been sold in the UK, it's within the realms of possibility that we'll see some of that Hulu catalogue opened to the UK market.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
At least the UK is getting close for Hulu because I wish our Canadian neighbors and other countries would get it.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote
This should be interesting. ITVs viewing figures have been dropping for years, because a lot of their programing is junk. Its all lame soaps, reality tv crap and murder mystery crap.

ITV haven't been any good since they cut back on showing U.S shows, and then, when they do show them, bury them in a midnight slot, when no one is watching. This happened with Supernatural, a damn cool show, but one I feel many U.K viewers have forgotten existed.

So what could NBC gain from this transatlantic media fusion? A positive thing that could come of it, is that Primeval could get snapped up for further series, after being cancelled. Of all the things ITV were doing, this was a positive step. Apart from that, the only positives are sports, documentaries and the occassional period drama or original show (very rare).

It is weird how the U.K gets it before Canada, but i guess that's down to language problems. I never thought we'd get it in the U.K, but I expect Canada is on their do radar too.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I wonder who approached who. This is intreguing seeing as ITV has their own streaming service on ITV.com. Also News Corp has a big stake in Sky, so why hasn't Hulu approached them instead? Very intreguing.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Now UK is on the verge of getting more anime to watch. This is good news for our UK neighbors.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Now UK is on the verge of getting more anime to watch. This is good news for our UK neighbors.
Don't pop the champaign corks just yet. It wouldn't be the first damp squib to fizzle out.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm personally more excited about the possibility of getting Spooks on US Hulu. I think the new season is about to start and Spooks is one of my favorite dramas on TV.
Brack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I'm personally more excited about the possibility of getting Spooks on US Hulu. I think the new season is about to start and Spooks is one of my favorite dramas on TV.

That's an independent production for the BBC, so Kudos would probably have to draw up that deal themselves. Entirely possible, as Green Wing and Peep Show are on Hulu (Peep Show in particular has been well distributed internationally on streaming sites).
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Hulu should be have the slogan "Watch movies and TV shows legally only if you are in the USA".
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Hulu should be have the slogan "Watch movies and TV shows legally only if you are in the USA".

Though not an official slogan, places such as this carry that sort of stigma, to a degree, in several other areas of the world.
Of course, I'm sure many have similar feelings for the BBC iPlayer. Nowadays, no internet user in the world is more than a few clicks away from shows they can't watch...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
That sounds great. If I got it right, Hulu wants to broadcast anime through ITV which could also finally pay off the 130£ I pay annually for a tv license when I watch british television like once a month.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
That sounds great. If I got it right, Hulu wants to broadcast anime through ITV which could also finally pay off the 130£ I pay annually for a tv license when I watch british television like once a month.

Nope. Hulu wants to enter into a partnership with ITV to launch a UK version of its service (which may or may not include anime). There's no broadcasting involved - it'll be online streaming.

As for your TV license, that pays for the BBC's TV, radio and web services and certainly won't be reduced because of a commercial arrangement between ITV and Hulu.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1