• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Addresses Dance in the Vampire Bund Edits

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gokuthamonkeyking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
so i guess nekkid loli vampires is not up to their codes then..
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I totally understand where they're coming from and I understand why they're doing it, but I know the fans are gonna complain, I bet it's the only way to get it over here, since it's clearly aimed at an older audience, and apparently because of the age of the character, I think that's why, if fans want to see it uncut, they can always go back to the fansubs, but at least it's getting over here for the fans who want to buy it, but I'm totally expecting this thread to be full of complaining forum users because fans automatically hate on edits.
sheentaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dance in the Vampire Bund” is a complex and dark drama cited by press and fans as one of the best anime series out of Japan this season.

Its one of the biggest disappointments this seasons you pillocks. Even fans of the manga hate it.
naruhodo569

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a silly move to me. They're shooting themselves in the foot here by censoring the series. Granted I haven't actually seen the series but it would have to be VERY graphic to warrant any edits.

What, people can't be trusted to know what's appropriate for themselves? Rolling Eyes
Zilan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
So they'll edit the DVD as well? Why even license it then? No one is gonna buy it. I sure as well won't. Lolicon or not, censoring is wrong. If you can't release it in the original form it was meant to be in then don't release it at all. Good job Funimation, good job.

Makes me wonder what kind of ninja edits are gonna be in the Strike Witches release. I better cancel my pre-order on it ASAP.

I guess I better re-download the Fansubs I deleted the other day after hearing this was licensed. lol@funimation

*Guess my comment scared Funimation. Nice quick update there. I'm still canceling my Pre-order funimation, you guys suck. Good luck on becoming the new VIZ [removed -t].

Last edited by Zilan on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
pluvia33

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I was looking forward to buy the DVD's. Oh well. Guess not. But I really don't see how someone can take something "out of context" when they'll be watching the entire series from the start in the privacy of their own home.

I'm also kind of confused as to why Vampire Bund is really that much worse than the uncut DVD version of Strike Witches. Are they really going to cut the DVD release?? -_-
Tom-S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
naruhodo569 wrote:

What, people can't be trusted to know what's appropriate for themselves? Rolling Eyes

This is basically my problem with the reason they gave for editing it. They could have taken the high road and simply said that they were editing it so it didn't reflect poorly on their company, but instead they gave the reason that they want to be BIGBROTHER and choose what is best for us and our consumption.
bossyman15

what episode is the said dance in? so i can check it out and see what the deal is.
Megiddo

I'm guessing that they're hoping to reach the Vampire/Twilight crowd in some way with this, so having a naked loli would be pretty much the opposite what that group would want to see.

I see this as FUNimation attempting to target an audience that this show simply is not intended for... and that usually does not go well.
kel aka gandy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
sheentaku wrote:
Quote:
Dance in the Vampire Bund” is a complex and dark drama cited by press and fans as one of the best anime series out of Japan this season.

Its one of the biggest disappointments this seasons you pillocks. Even fans of the manga hate it.

Isn't it more especially fans of the manga hate it? People who haven't read the manga, like myself, seem to think it's alright (definitely not one of the best of the season, but ok), but fans of the manga seem to absolutely detest it since it doesn't follow the manga at all (or at least from what I've heard, like I said, I haven't read it).
Karisu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
And this is just one reason why fansubs still exist and probably always will.

When the quality of the 'free' version is significantly better than the one you have to pay for; there is an issue.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
These are scenes which are inappropriate for U.S. viewing

Assuming I'd find these scenes objectionable, either the show is good enough to warrent watching regardless or it isn't. I don't appreciate this being decided for me. The show is what it is.

Editing is rightly taboo among R1 anime fans, so Funi can drop dead on this one.
Kiriska

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
LOL. Well, on one hand, I don't know if it's worth editing since it's streaming only and doesn't have a TV broadcast. On the other hand, I really have no idea how the naked lolis in Vampire Bund passed in the first place. I mean, damn, just watching the opening theme feels inappropriate in that "WOW, THIS IS TOTALLY LOLICON" sort of way.
gokuthamonkeyking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
broadening anime to a wider audience is always going to end as a failure in some ways or another. i bet theres some politics behind this move.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
bossyman15 wrote:
what episode is the said dance in? so i can check it out and see what the deal is.

The only dance I can think of is the one that is in the opening animation. Is that what they're really making a big deal out of??
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 41