• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2010-04-06

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
This strip is pure genius.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Hah-- this aptly describes the uber-otaku fandom based on half the anime/manga released by Japan in the past five years.

Yikes, how depressing...

Last edited by Animerican14 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
It's funny because this is like such a great commentary on things with fans.

That guy at the end is every anime fan's worst nightmare.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
This is EXACTLY what happened to me when Mnemosyne got licensed. Minus the random "FIND JESUS!!" person. (Thank God)
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
All I could think of was this game. Laughing [/url]
joshuafer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Haha great stuff, what a genius idea for a manga ! ... lol keep the laughs coming, good job.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

Indeed. The guy at the end, I was thinking to myself "Oh for God's sake." I don't like it when people link anime fans to violence and boobs only. If they saw Kare Kano or Ouran they would see its more than that. The strip shows the adverage fan (Kevin) and the ones that like things like this and get their knickers in a twist if one person thinks the manga/anime they like is nasty. Most of the time its, "Hey go like what you like. "
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
While this comic is pretty hilarious, I can't help but feel that the folks at ANN just don't get why people get defensive and angry.

Those who really like the "unpopular" side of otakudom (although these things can hardly be called unpopular, really, since they keep making more of it ... obviously there is a huge market for ecchi and lolicon and horny high school girls!) just worry that they are getting a bad wrap for nothing.

Here's a comparison: if someone says that the statue of David or Lolita is "disgusting" they would immediately be swamped with arguments for the artistic value of both. If someone says that Kodomo No Jikan is "disgusting" on the forum here and someone tries to make arguments for the merits of the plot, they are ignored, shot down, or labeled a pedo. It USED TO BE the general consensus in our country that Lolita, for example, was disgusting smut and should be banned. People argued that it wasn't and proved that there was artistic value and merit - even though it's really just the memoirs of a pedophile. It's now considered great literature.

Now, I don't think that KnJ or Chu-Bra! are going to fall among the ranks of great literature (or even great anime), but there is some value, and when someone says "That's disgusting!" people can't help but make the counter-argument. Are you saying that people shouldn't counter an argument that Lolita is nothing more than "disgusting" ... or any nude art? I mean, really, think about it. It isn't fair to say that fans of lolicon, for instance, have to just sit back and shut up and never make intelligent arguments for why some loli material has merit and value beyond being fap-worthy for pedophiles.

Since it's something so controversial, people want to defend it. If no one had defended Lolita, it would probably still be a banned book. Now, I realize that Zac alone saying that Loli is disgusting isn't going to get it banned, but it's along the same vein - and he isn't the only one with that sentiment (obviously this issue IS coming up in the law in both the US and Japan).

You can't say it's the same as someone saying "Mecha is stupid" and the mecha fans being "reasonable" and just saying "Oh well, you don't like it, but I do" ... fans of the more questionable material need to defend it since it isn't ONLY a matter of personal taste, but an issue of whether or not the material should even be legal. That makes a huge difference.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
animefan1238 wrote:
garfield15 wrote:

Indeed. The guy at the end, I was thinking to myself "Oh for God's sake." I don't like it when people link anime fans to violence and boobs only. If they saw Kare Kano or Ouran they would see its more than that. The strip shows the adverage fan (Kevin) and the ones that like things like this and get their knickers in a twist if one person thinks the manga/anime they like is nasty. Most of the time its, "Hey go like what you like. "

Most anime is violence and boobs, or it's programming for children. It's becoming somewhat different now that TV is the pretty much the only form the stuff comes out in, but that's how it was for the 90's.
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
lol its reason why most nerds (not just otakus) or impossible to have a conversation with!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
While this comic is pretty hilarious, I can't help but feel that the folks at ANN just don't get why people get defensive and angry.

1. this comic isn't written by the ANN staff

2. It isn't the issue that I and a few others on staff don't understand or don't "get" why people get defensive and angry. It's that your rationale for getting upset when someone says they find your particular fetish anime gross isn't something I can buy or agree with.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Hahahaha....a truly funny strip. You did a great job illustrating Nerds using socially acceptable answers in the presence of others versus voicing their own perception of truth. Art imitating Life. LOL. Keep up the levity, we sure need it.
Crystal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Is the 3rd guy the same guy who flipped out over Naruto being removed from Youtube? Like, a year ago?
moritheil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
Interesting comparison to make. I guess Robin reads AD. Just wish our site was still up. Razz
k.long

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
welcome back, been a whole month but just as sweet as ever
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5