• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Plans Film of Queenie Chan's The Dreaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Well..
I haven't read the Dreaming, is it good? Its got to be better than the Van Von Hunter movie, at least.
Extalia

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:08 am Reply with quote
The end of the world is upon us. First two manga publishers go under and out, now the worst manga publisher ever lives and goes Hollywood,
God help us....
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:20 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
Its got to be better than the Van Von Hunter movie, at least.

...or does it??
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:27 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
Well..
I haven't read the Dreaming, is it good? Its got to be better than the Van Von Hunter movie, at least.

I'm morbidly curious about that movie, but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it.

Maybe I'll check it out now!

......Oh.

Anyway, Tokyopop making movies is just one of those ideas that's destined for failure. I don't have anything against them per se, but with the economy the way it is it seems like working in two struggling industries simultaneously just isn't a good idea.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:06 am Reply with quote
Stu Levy is running Tokyopop to the ground. He almost killed it once when they got into the Anime business, but movies are no joke. If this fails, which it will, Tokyopop will be doomed.
nargun

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:32 am Reply with quote
Extalia wrote:
The end of the world is upon us. First two manga publishers go under and out, now the worst manga publisher ever lives and goes Hollywood,
God help us....

It's not Hollywood. I mean, australian-based creator + australian production company + story set in australia == australian film, no? And there's a lot of money kicking around for cinema here, government and private. Haven't read The Dreaming, though.

What's going to be a bigger problem is that based on the simple "mysterious disappearences at a girl's boarding school" outline it's going to be compared against one of the masterpieces of australian cinema. But we'll watch the film and see how it is, I guess.
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:40 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Wooga wrote:
Its got to be better than the Van Von Hunter movie, at least.

...or does it??

Now I know why they call it a horror story ... Shocked
Kakalini

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:12 am Reply with quote
You know, I can see this being a pretty good movie, actually. I've read The Dreaming and while it's not my favorite series (mainly because I'm not into horror), it's still a good one and has a good, basic story that I think would work well in film.
Shougo

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Whatever happened to Lament of the Lamb?
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what Lament of the Lamb's status is, but I'm hoping it's on it's death bed. What Tokyopop was planning to do it was just horrible. I'd rather see the anime licensed instead. As for The Dreaming, it could be good but I don't know.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote
The plot synopsis for The Dreaming reminds me (very superficially at least, since I've not read it) of the 1975 Australian film
Picnic at Hanging Rock which is, in turn, one of those movies I always mean to rent "one of these days."

...Aah, missed this:
nargun wrote:
What's going to be a bigger problem is that based on the simple "mysterious disappearences at a girl's boarding school" outline it's going to be compared against one of the masterpieces of australian cinema.
So I guess it's not just me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Good luck to Queenie Chan. I hope TokyoPop's involvement doesn't butcher her work. Their plans for Lament of the Lamb were disgusting. They made what happened to Initial D's dub and music look like a pristine adaptation. Though I don't think TokyoPop had much involvement, the Priest movie is looking like a horrible adaptation as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1