• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show: Voice of Many Generations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the wonderful and quite moving tribute to someone who was clearly a very talented individual. He'll certainly be missed, but not forgotten.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen the original Speed Racer but I think I know who you're talking about in the live action movie (and I think that's pretty cool, wonder how many people caught that). And I had no idea that Orson Welles did dubbing as well, loving this column because you just seem to know so much about almost every old school show.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Mike, this was a really moving and informative tribute to Peter Fernandez. I learned so much more about Peter's career in this one article than in the time I spent doing online research the other night after I heard about his passing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Greggo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Peter.

And thanks, Mike, for writing such a touching piece about this legend of American television and film.
rti9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Terrific article. RIP

spoiler[Someone needs to fix the double spacing in the text.]
YoSoyJaponesa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
HE was Robot Randy??!! 0_o He had such a great Christopher Walken accent!!

Seriously though, he was a very talented guy...great article...

**Raises glass of Coke**
_V_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
we lost both Carl Macek and Peter Fernandez within a matter of months of each other.

2010 seems to be on its way to being remembered as the year that the initial wave of people that brought anime to America, pass into history.

With Macek and Fernandez gone, that removes the two big pillars of the pre-Akira, pre-dedicated R1 anime distributor crowd.

The ADV/FUNimation/Viz guys are the Old Men now.

The times they are a-changin'
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
A wonderful article. I even learned so much that even I didn't know that Ferendaz worked with some big time actors.

I too agree that his other roles in voice acting should be known other than Speed Racer. I'm glad you did note his voice job in Gigantor cause that's one of the fewest anime I've seen with Ferendaz in it. Within time I'll watch the other anime he did during his career.

I can still remenber the day I finally watched the entire original Speed Racer series. I even know more about it than my own parents who hardly watched it during their childhood.

Anyways excellent job on this article.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
we lost both Carl Macek and Peter Fernandez within a matter of months of each other.

2010 seems to be on its way to being remembered as the year that the initial wave of people that brought anime to America, pass into history.

With Macek and Fernandez gone, that removes the two big pillars of the pre-Akira, pre-dedicated R1 anime distributor crowd.

But don't give up hope, future will stand strong and will continue the flame that others have crossed.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Good job, Mike. It was a touching experience, reading this entry. You've done Peter good.

*moment of silence*
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
_V_ wrote:

But don't give up hope, future will stand strong and will continue the flame that others have crossed.

Problem is, I really don't think in the next two-three decades, there will still be companies that dub anime. Before everyone has a giant aneurysm hear me out. How many bisuness have gone bankrupt or have closed all together in the last three years?

How many companies either stopped dubbing anime or don't dub that much.

The times are changing, but I am not sure for the best or not. And for the record I am not starting an argument of any kind. Just an observation, nothing to get really vexed about.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:41 am Reply with quote
I would never have guessed he worked on Courage the Cowardly Dog, a cartoon I really liked back in the day along with Johnny Bravo.

Nicely done eulogy.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
That was a bloody awesome article, Mike.

... I'm honestly not sure what to add to that, aside from being very, very glad I did not miss his panel at Sakura Con '09, and even flimed a tiny bit of it. The more I learn about him, the more I realize how lucky I was to get a chance to meet him.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Gosh, that was lovely, Mike. Great job.

I am proud that we brought Peter and even prouder that he was genuinely touched by the way he was greeted at Otakon. From Sinterniklaas's heartfelt public thank-you, to the endless line at his booth, to the love-fest from several older staffers who grew up with his voice on TV, to the opportunity to see his grandchildren for the first time, he was a guest who left very happy. (His main regret was that he didn't bring more stuff, as he'd thought my claim of 25,000 was a typo on my part.) I was going to invite him next year...sadly, that's not possible any longer.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

We still have Fred Ladd, for now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2