• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nausicaä Sells 20,000 to Top Weekly BD Chart

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Thats awsome to hear its selling that well. This is one of my all-time favorite movies. Hopefully Disney will bring out the BD for this soon in the US.
Tigercml

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Yea I will be looking forward to this being released in the states on BD. It just looks like it's gonna take time for the other Studio Ghibli classics like Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service and all the other greats to be released on blu ray. I really just can't wait.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I hope Miyazaki can make a sequel out of this and I'm willing to check this out as well. I heard alot of good reviews out of this when anime was not even notice.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
I hope Miyazaki can make a sequel out of this and I'm willing to check this out as well. I heard alot of good reviews out of this when anime was not even notice.

There will never be a Nausicaa sequel, continuation, or remake.
AnnoyedWabbit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:

There will never be a Nausicaa sequel, continuation, or remake.

Luckily there is a manga, which, while not a continuation, has much more involved story than the movie.

I'm glad to see the Nausicaa BD doing well. While not my favorite Ghibli movie, I adore the manga.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
20,000 only? That's quite little when compared to other weeks. I guess it must be a slow week for BD releases.
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Hopefully Disney will bring out the BD for this soon in the US.
And if not, the BD has both English subtitles and audio on it already.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
20,000 only? That's quite little when compared to other weeks. I guess it must be a slow week for BD releases.

I thought that too. Then I said to myself, Blu-Ray. And Japanese prices. Then I was like, holy crap Ghibli made some serious, serious bank.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

I thought that too. Then I said to myself, Blu-Ray. And Japanese prices. Then I was like, holy crap Ghibli made some serious, serious bank.

For Ghibli it may be an accomplishment as Ponyo only sold 9000 in the first week for BDs, but compared to the rest of the industry, that's very low (compare to Bakemonogatari 40000+ each set thus far. K-ON! 30000, and don't get me even started on the Eva movies). I think Railgun and Katanagatari are also hitting those numbers somewhere occasionally.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
For Ghibli it may be an accomplishment as Ponyo only sold 9000 in the first week for BDs, but compared to the rest of the industry, that's very low (compare to Bakemonogatari 40000+ each set thus far. K-ON! 30000, and don't get me even started on the Eva movies). I think Railgun and Katanagatari are also hitting those numbers somewhere occasionally.

Nausicaä isn't an otaku show (how are DVD vs Blu-ray sales for non-otaku series?), so I wouldn't expect it to have the sales numbers of series like the ones that you've mentioned. Perhaps the general public are still satisfied with the DVD. Anyone know how well the DVD sold when it was first released? Maybe the BD will fare better in the rental market...

I bought the Nausicaä Blu-ray, and I'm buying the BDs for Soranowoto, Railgun, K-On!!, and Haruhi, so I'm doing my part to contribute to both otaku and non-otaku sales numbers. ^_^
Jacut

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quote
"The 1984 film is the first Ghibli work to rank #1 in weekly Blu-ray sales."

Ghibli didn't exist at the time the film was made (1984), the production studio was in fact Studio Topcraft.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:35 am Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
"The 1984 film is the first Ghibli work to rank #1 in weekly Blu-ray sales."

Ghibli didn't exist at the time the film was made (1984), the production studio was in fact Studio Topcraft.

Indeed, Topcraft was the official studio Miyazaki was affiliated with when he worked on Nausicaä, but even Studio Ghibli retroactively considers Nausicaä to be a Ghibli work. That's why Oricon said that this "is the first time that a Studio Ghibli work topped the overall chart," although animeanime.jp makes a note about Topcraft.
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:07 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Remember that sales for those titles drop off sharply after the first week. Ghibli titles usually sell well continuously for quite some time (Totoro, for example, shows up most weeks in the Oricon charts).
nicky_008

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:58 am Reply with quote
No...

Remember that do not compare between fan-based moe-ish anime sale number and (seem to be) Ghibli anime sale number.

They are quietly very different. Smile
neggiimmaa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:36 am Reply with quote
not surprised there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1