• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Woman Arrested for Uploading Anime via Perfect Dark

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
- 42-year old unemployed
- Uploading anime via Perfect Dark

Probably a NEET, right?
NuHalo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
Maybe she was a housewife? o.o
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
Yup, nothing can make your ole Mom or Dad more proud than seeing your daughter in the news paper. However, I can imagine it's the opposite when your daughter is in the news paper in hand cuffs.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
What are the potential punishments for this, and what have people gotten for uploading anime in the past in Japan?
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quote
Probably harsh penalties since its a copyright breach, actually have to wonder how they managed to find her via Perfect Dark, that uses encryption so the authorities could have broken the law in order to find the uploaders, much like the RIAA and others in the US bend and break the law in order to find pirates....privacy laws mean nothing.

Its pretty sad for her ~ I do hope she gets a lenient sentence but honestly, Japanese law is pretty strict..
Espeon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
LOL, If I didn't have online anime sharing I doubt i'd be the anime watcher I am today.

Yes I buy everything I have watched on Sub once it's licensed.

Any who, Probably get a slap on the wrists and sent home.
Olivine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:28 am Reply with quote
TsukasaHiiragi wrote:
Probably harsh penalties since its a copyright breach, actually have to wonder how they managed to find her via Perfect Dark, that uses encryption so the authorities could have broken the law in order to find the uploaders, much like the RIAA and others in the US bend and break the law in order to find pirates....privacy laws mean nothing.

Its pretty sad for her ~ I do hope she gets a lenient sentence but honestly, Japanese law is pretty strict..

Welll, considering they've gotten a grand total of 3 people in several years, I'm guessing they brute forced a weak password, then logged into the persons router. Probably because somebody had their router set up with the nigh-unbreakable default password of 'admin' set. If someone can log into your router, they can probably log onto your computer using remote desktop (which is enabled by default on windows!) The password for perfect dark was probably the same as the login password for the computer (some people use the same password over and over) so they could log onto the computer with remote desktop there. Then just look at her perfect dark and see what she uploaded. So yeah, most people's network security is pretty lol.

Edit: Removed the impossible.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:52 am Reply with quote
TsukasaHiiragi wrote:
actually have to wonder how they managed to find her via Perfect Dark, that uses encryption
If it's anything like the previous cases, the uploader mentioned their PD tripcode on one or more unrelated forums, revealed that those forum accounts and the tripcode were the same user, and the police either got the user's IP from the forum, or the user posted personal details linked to the forum account.
Basically, nothing to do with broken encryption, just careless users.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:34 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
TsukasaHiiragi wrote:
actually have to wonder how they managed to find her via Perfect Dark, that uses encryption
If it's anything like the previous cases, the uploader mentioned their PD tripcode on one or more unrelated forums, revealed that those forum accounts and the tripcode were the same user, and the police either got the user's IP from the forum, or the user posted personal details linked to the forum account.
Basically, nothing to do with broken encryption, just careless users.
Or the previous ones that were done through the various vulnerabilities in the protocol. (Initial seed weakness, MITM, etc)

These conspiracy theories about the cops hacking and breaking the law to find people are just that, conspiracy theories. While it is difficult, it isn't impossible if you know what you are doing and what you need to manipulate. No secure protocol is truly secure given enough time and effort.

Last edited by bayoab on Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:37 am Reply with quote
TsukasaHiiragi wrote:
Probably harsh penalties since its a copyright breach, actually have to wonder how they managed to find her via Perfect Dark, that uses encryption so the authorities could have broken the law in order to find the uploaders,
Yes, because God forbid that the law-enforcers are forbidden from using undercover tactics to capture thieves of this digital age and ruling their most often than not complete bullshit justifications for mooching: Which they are...
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:52 am Reply with quote
You believe it's thievery, many do not. I don't think I have to justify anything. What I do requires only voluntarily beneficial transactions between individuals. What you want requires the use of a monopoly mafia to tell everyone that they have to do something or not do something. That monopoly has been well known to use it's power whether or not the end goal is good or whether or not the means is good. The law enforcers are paid by thievery.

The privacy of people is important, and you don't know if they are using encryption to share a personal video or something else before you start, so you invade everyone's privacy in order to find those who are doing what the state has deemed illegal, including that of the innocent. Why should I trust that? Are police now angels who can do no wrong?

I buy anime because it's beneficial for me to buy it. I download it because it's beneficial for me to do that as well. I don't force anyone to accept that what I do is morally right. If you want to freely disassociate from me because you don't like what I do then by all means do so. But you don't have any legitimate right to force me to do what you want anymore than you have a right to force pot smokers not to smoke pot or homosexuals not to be gay.

Last edited by Xanas on Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
You'd think they'd stop using Perfect Dark because of the other arrest. I've heard Japanese copyright law is way more strict than ours.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
I've heard Japanese copyright law is way more strict than ours.
Yes, all those doujinshi conventions result in thousands of arrests due to gross infringement for profi-OH WAIT.
Until recently, only uploading was illegal in Japan, and there were no laws against downloading.
bayoab wrote:
Or the previous ones that were done through the various vulnerabilities in the protocol. (Initial seed weakness, MITM, etc)
So far, nobody has demonstrated any such vulnerabilities in PD. MITM wouldn't work unless you had controlled every node between infringing clients, essentially every node in the network (which would necessitate massive infringement on the part of the MITM node operators). So much data is transferred without a specific request that there isn't really an 'initial seed'. When a file is placed onto the PD network, bits of it will dissipate to several other via various nodes before the file itself becomes searchable and downloadable. Unless you are in control of the node the first uploader initially connects to, control all the nodes that connect to that, control at least some of the randomly selected recipients of the packets that are initially distributed, then happen to be able to match said packets with an available file (requiring you to commit infringement to download the file) then you will not be able to identify the initial uploader IP.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote
Of all the animes she could've uploaded, why did it have to be Mitsudomoe? Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:
Welll, considering they've gotten a grand total of 3 people in several years, I'm guessing they brute forced a weak password, then logged into the persons router. Probably because somebody had their router set up with the nigh-unbreakable default password of 'admin' set. If someone can log into your router, they can probably log onto your computer using remote desktop (which is enabled by default on windows!) The password for perfect dark was probably the same as the login password for the computer (some people use the same password over and over) so they could log onto the computer with remote desktop there. Then just look at her perfect dark and see what she uploaded. So yeah, most people's network security is pretty lol.

Edit: Removed the impossible.

I just wanted to point out a few more impossibilities. Perfect Dark does not have a password to start it up/login, nor does it keep a list of uploaded files. So no one would be able to hack an account or see what someone has uploaded after the fact, except by using the tripcode (or sign as PD calls it) and somehow matching that to an individual.
Like someone else said, this is probably due more to user stupidity (i.e. bragging elsewhere on the internets and leaving a trackable trail) than PD being cracked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5