• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT] FF11 streaming beta webcam...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Okay, it's OT (geez... I'm not doing a good job of staying on topic, eh?) but...

if you've got a broadband connection (250kbit/s connection or faster) you might wanna go here and load the Live Streaming webcam of the FF11 beta test:

http://www.playonline.com/ff11/home/index.html

Click on the "Live Streaming" button near the top of the page. The exact MMS url is:

mms://default.stream.crnf.net/ff11demo

You can plug the MMS url into Windows Media Player, or any other MMS-capable video player.

Sometimes you'll see some of the betatesters show off magic or special attacks or stuff. Othertimes (like, right now) you'll just see the front of a castle, and 2-3 people walking around. :p

But it's pretty cool to peek in on, every once in a while. It's based in Japan, so the most people will be online and playing in the Japanese afternoon/evening... but (as with all MMORPGs) there's SOMEONE playing near the camera's location at pretty much every hour of the day.

It's cool watching the weather/time effects... it was dark about an hour ago, now it's foggy.. and it looks like it's getting foggier.. or maybe that's just night settling in.. but either way, it's cool. :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xenothrope

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 9:40 am Reply with quote
hmm, well maybe its just me but when i load this into my WMP all i get is a blue screen.

do you know maybe why?

thanks much
look forward to seeing the game

-X
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:18 am Reply with quote
You know, the difference between Sakaguchi and Suzuki is Suzuki actually worked with internet experts to produce his on-line rpg. I have a feeling Sakaguchi will screw up FF as an online franchise like he did with the movie. :wink:
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 3:54 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I meant Yuji Naka, not Yu Suzuki.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:00 pm Reply with quote
xenothrope wrote:

hmm, well maybe its just me but when i load this into my WMP all i get is a blue screen.

Yeah, it seems that there was some downtime for maintainence or something.

It's back up now, at any rate (or, as of this writing, it was..) If you can read Japanese, the playonline site'll have more info about when it's up/down...

GATSU wrote:

You know, the difference between Sakaguchi and Suzuki is Suzuki actually worked with internet experts to produce his on-line rpg. I have a feeling Sakaguchi will screw up FF as an online franchise like he did with the movie. :wink:

Eh. FF11 is gonna be a MMORPG, not a traditional 1-player FF game.. the plot for every MMORPG is pretty much secondary to the actual world itself.

Check out http://www.nickyee.com/eqt/home.html (A Study of Everquest) to see some info about why people play MMORPGs... specifically everquest.. but some of the info ("meta-game") can be used for why other MMORPGs work, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

Eh. FF11 is gonna be a MMORPG, not a traditional 1-player FF game.. the plot for every MMORPG is pretty much secondary to the actual world itself.

Check out http://www.nickyee.com/eqt/home.html (A Study of Everquest) to see some info about why people play MMORPGs... specifically everquest.. but some of the info ("meta-game") can be used for why other MMORPGs work, too.

I can fully understand why some people like playing online RPGs, certainly the experience is much closer to traditional non-electronic role-playing games, but some of us still prefer traditional (in the video game sense) single-player RPGs with a plot that progresses continually forward, structured like an anime movie or TV series, with a big boss and an ending. If Square feels like doing an on-line Final Fantasy RPG, more power to them, but why can't they do it as a spin-off series, called something like Final Fantasy Online, and leave the regular "roman numeraled" FF series for those of us that prefer single-player role playing? I sure hope that Final Fantasy doesn't go the way of Phantasy Star Online, where a single player version was included, but only as an afterthought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1