• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN's OreImo episode 2 leaked before airing

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daizo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
So apparently someone failed web security 101 (gee, it's like FUNi's One Piece incident all over again) and pre-uploaded OreImo 02 to the streaming server with a predictable filename, and as a result some entrepreneurial gentlemen managed to get their hands on it and share it to the world. Screenshots are already circulating the internet along with the video file:

So, ETA on ANN posting an article about this? This is certainly something I'd call a news-worthy incident, and this site's title IS Anime News Network after all..

PS: You guys ought to really up the bitrate on your 720p streams... judging from the filesize they're even more bitrate-starved than CrunchyRoll's 720p streams. I can only imagine how bad they look (since I certainly am not able to watch the streams on ANN, what with the REGION LOCKING and all)...

Last edited by Daizo on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leebo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I actually saw the screenshots with news of a leak on a Japanese blog that didn't mention ANN. Now it kinda makes sense.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Not again, why does this have to keep happening? If this is like the One Piece incident again the simulcast will be dropped for a long time. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Olivine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Why was it even on the servers?

Yeesh, just keep it on a flash drive, then upload it 30 minutes before its set to release. Not too complicated. There, I saved the industry. You can pay me whenever you like for this consulting session.

I should just simulcast this stuff myself. I have a website, you know...
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
........there are no words. I'm quite disappointed in this.
dfrehil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-10-09/oreimo-episode-2-leaked-1-day-before-japanese-debut

Hey ANN I like how don't you mention the fact that it was stolen from your servers because of severe incompetence on your part.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
dfrehil wrote:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-10-09/oreimo-episode-2-leaked-1-day-before-japanese-debut

Hey ANN I like how don't you mention the fact that it was stolen from your servers because of severe incompetence on your part.

Wow. your very first post. Gloating perhaps?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:
Why was it even on the servers?

Yeesh, just keep it on a flash drive, then upload it 30 minutes before its set to release. Not too complicated. There, I saved the industry.

Because what happens if it takes too long to upload, or worse, the servers go down?

Easy solution is encrypt and/or put in private part of the server and then either move it or make a redirect page close to showtime. If something like that was already in place, then we may as well quit while we're behind.
dfrehil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
dfrehil wrote:

Wow. your very first post. Gloating perhaps?

what? since when is pointing out their blatant avoidance of the truth "gloating"?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't call it gloating. However, it could qualify as trolling since it serves no purpose to further the discussion and is posted in an aggressive and inflammatory fashion.

Last edited by Keonyn on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Olivine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

Because what happens if it takes too long to upload, or worse, the servers go down?

Easy solution is encrypt and/or put in private part of the server and then either move it or make a redirect page close to showtime. If something like that was already in place, then we may as well quit while we're behind.

If the servers go down, I think getting the file uploaded is the least of your problems. And if you can't get a file onto a server you're sitting 5 feet away from in a half an hour, well, I just don't know.

It WAS on a "private" part of the server. And if you use encryption, that's one more thing to go wrong.

All they needed to do is keep it off the damn server. Why was it even on the server a WEEK before it needs to be? Its just insane!
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Alright. There is a talkback thread in place for this. If you have constructive feedback feel free to leave it here, otherwise keep casual discussion on the topic in the articles relevant thread.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:35 am Reply with quote
Constructively I would say the same thing I said when the same thing happened with One Piece - calculate the MD5 of the file and append it to the filename before putting it anywhere accessible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan297na

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
This to me raises even more doubts as to whether ANN can be impartial to the series they license. The issue was raised recently as to whether the reviews could be trusted on series they have, and if they will not even report the entire story on important news related to them, then I will find it even harder to trust this site on any info or editorials related to the shows.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, if there is nothing to report then there's nothing to report aside from the fact it happened. Until ANN and the Japanese Studio have finished discussing the matter and determined the proper course of action then there's really nothing more to report on this matter. News articles aren't going to be invented just to make people happy for gossip when there is no news on it to currently report.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3