• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oreimo Simulcast Statement

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku Teahouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
This is why we can't have nice things...

1. Pirates who can't wait one friggin week.
2. improper security measures
3. Japanese companies being so uptight they'd pull something away from their fans at the first sign of something going wrong.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
And while all three of those are to blame, people are only going to jump on one of them.

Most likely #2
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I won't even gripe about why that took so long, I'm just glad we got it in the end.

You live and learn, eh? ANN's first simulcasting experiment may have been a bust but here is to hoping that they succeed in the future.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the response. I hope things work out better in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I just hope ANN's relationship with Aniplex isn't harmed beyond repair. I imagine it will take some time but hopefully they will eventually be able to give it another try.

I'm curious about something: what exactly is a 'contracted delivery network'? I've heard the term before but I have no knowledge of what it actually is.
Enner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Aww, this is a sad and unfortunate shame.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I won't even gripe about why that took so long, I'm just glad we got it in the end.

That's actually something I'd like to address right now. Given my background, I'm more than aware of how important it is to address issues like this as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately we couldn't talk to the public before face to face meetings were held in Japan. The leak occurred on Saturday, Monday was a holiday in Japan, and meetings were held on Tuesday and Wednesday.

So, I apologize for the delay, but there was nothing we could do about it. In fact, all things considered, we got this statement turned around very quickly. A lot of people, not just at ANN, but at Aniplex as well, have been working almost around the clock to get this issue resolved.

chefneer wrote:
I just hope ANN's relationship with Aniplex isn't harmed beyond repair.
Aniplex has been extremely supportive. We're very thankful to have such great partners in this.

Quote:
I'm curious about something: what exactly is a 'contracted delivery network'? I've heard the term before but I have no knowledge of what it actually is.
well, it's a contracted content delivery network, but we removed "content" from the sentence. A content delivery network is a company that "delivers content." In this case, streaming media.

I'd also like to address the issue of journalistic integrity with two simple statements.
1) If we were going to abuse our position with the news, we would have barred our news team from posting the article about the leak in the first place. The very fact that article was posted shows ANN's commitment to doing the news right.
2) ANN news team reported everything they knew when they knew it. During the delay period our corporate side kept them in the dark. They operate as two separate entities.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
FeralKat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
A very sad conclusion. Sad Well, what now? I don't watch fansubs, so I guess I'll have to wait.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
A very sad conclusion. Sad Well, what now? I don't watch fansubs, so I guess I'll have to wait.

Same Sad I got really into episode 1 too...
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
[No troling zone]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryojen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
This is why ANN should stay out of the simulcasting business. This situation created a conflict of interest between your role as a content distributor and your journalistic integrity. If you truly want to be "the internet's most trusted anime news source," you can't have your finger in too many pies.
GMSenpai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
This isn't the first time this has happened, remember when this happened when FUNimation started streaming One Piece? Thankfully that had a happy ending, but to be honest I'm wondering if it was possible to get some consulting from either Crunchyroll, who seems to have very good security or FUNimation, who this has happened to in the past.

Sadly because of this, the fansubbers win.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Ryojen wrote:
This is why ANN should stay out of the simulcasting business. This situation created a conflict of interest between your role as a content distributor and your journalistic integrity. If you truly want to be "the internet's most trusted anime news source," you can't have your finger in too many pies.

To quote the guy from the other thread. "Give up after one mistake?"

You'll never get far in life with that attitude.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
GMSenpai wrote:

[Troll elsewhere, this will not be turned in to another platform for fansub debates, there are plenty of other threads and places to take that, end of story]
FeralKat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
GMSenpai wrote:

[trolling removed]

Dude, please don't start this right now. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11