• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2012-05-23

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
There's a comic book / hobby store not all that far from me and they have a selection of rather old Gundam and Macross models. Being a Macross fan, and loving the artwork on the cover/sides of the box. I was like "hey, this looks cool, I'll give it a try". After working on it for a few days I realize what I ended up building didn't look like anything on the box. And that's why, my friends, I stick to the pre-made models. Wink

Good luck to the gang as they head down into the basement. As I continue to discover in Diablo 3, going down to that lower level usually results in bad things happening. Laughing
Sir Amyas Leigh

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
Made me think of that volume of Genshiken were Kasukabe breaks whats-her-names model.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
Tis' the life of a model kit builder. I have felt that pain.
Dorian

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
They have Myoopi with them, they will be fine.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Are they in a secret underground Gundam hangar? XD
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
On the line, "I'll build the head," my mind went to Voltron, "I'll form the head." Embarassed Wonder what things will lead to.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
And that's why, my friends, I stick to the pre-made models. Wink

But the actual building is half the fun! Having something nice to look at is one thing, but having something nice to look at that you made yourself is even better!

I'm extremely amateurish in my model building (I don't sand, I don't paint, etc) but watching it take form in my hands is so satisfying.

I've screwed up royally plenty of times, naturally, but in case of breakage just say it's battle damage!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Building gunpla couldn't be any easier. Some of the enjoyment there are the gimmicks they can incorporate into the suits, or points of intrigue like sliding arm and complex inner mechanisms. Even unpainted, most look pretty damn good, just a bit of panel lining and they're set to go.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
How can Kevin not have a ready supply of super glue anyways? I'm not a modeler, but I keep a tube on hand for accidents when messing with my figures. I swear, my gorilla hands are not meant to try and get a 2mm thin piece of plastic to fit in the opening of a hand that's only 1mm without breaking something!
mer2329

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
welcome back
i always enjoy reading anime news Nina
thanks for another great comic
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm always astounded how frustrating model building can be even when I'm, theoretically, an experienced modeler. It doesn't matter how organized or prepared you usually are before starting a project something very necessary for model repair and/or completion is MIA.

Six weeks ago I sold a rare model railroad engine on ebay for triple the money I paid for it. I bought it at an estate sale back in '81, infrequently admired it out of the box, displayed it once for about 1.5 years before mummifying it back in the Japanese box it came in.

Being single a good portion of my life with adequate disposable income part of the time one would think of all the locomotives I have owned, traded, displayed over the years since 1970 I knew how to properly prepare a locomotive for shipping. You guessed it. Without thinking about it I lifted the engine from its resting position by its pilot instead of grabbing it by the cylinder heads. As a result I broke something on the this engine while readying it for packing. Sucks getting old...

Long story short: I had no glue adequate for repairing painted brass so I improvised using plastic glue, time, and black magic marker. Somehow I managed to extract a positive feedback from the buyer.

I guess there is such a thing as miracles after all. Otherwise, I can sure relate with nerdboy Kevin when something splendiferous as that Ltd edition Platinum version Doomawhichy (#1 of 5000 made worldwide) goes crackly.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
It's been a number of years, but I'd love to get back into model building (he says, still having to complete the last bit of the tank he mostly built in 1998). Put quite a few together in my youth, though my problem was always with the painting. This week's strip brought back some good memories. Very Happy

Intrigued to find out what happens in the basement. Shocked Interestingly, Myoopi isn't sweating.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Remember the horror movie rules, Nina!
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:19 am Reply with quote
Maybe they should have got a snap-together model.

Model building has always required some skill. Usually the first models one builds look nothing like the box, especially when it comes to colors and painting. But there are some builders who can come up with some impressive results.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
Model building has always required some skill. Usually the first models one builds look nothing like the box, especially when it comes to colors and painting. But there are some builders who can come up with some impressive results.

I love the kit-bashing videos on YouTube. Some of the resulting models look absolutely mouth-watering.

Does anyone know what show is being referenced in the last panel?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1