• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online Anime's 4th TV Ad Aired

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:23 am Reply with quote
Hm, that didn't really catch my interest. Looks like a rehashed .hack storyline too.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:08 am Reply with quote
Happy to see CR got this. I'll check it out.
opn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
Hm, that didn't really catch my interest. Looks like a rehashed .hack storyline too.

SAO came out at the same time as hack.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
opn wrote:

Really?
.hack came out in 2009?

Because I'm looking at the SAO wiki and it says the first volume was originally released in 2009. Because assuming that's true, .hack came out seven years prior, in 2002.

But that's just me nitpicking.

Looks like an awesome show nonetheless.
Saffire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:11 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
opn wrote:

Really?
.hack came out in 2009?

Because I'm looking at the SAO wiki and it says the first volume was originally released in 2009. Because assuming that's true, .hack came out seven years prior, in 2002.

But that's just me nitpicking.

Looks like an awesome show nonetheless.
The author started posting chapters online in 2002. They were collected into physical volumes starting in 2009.

It's got some common ground, but the stakes are a lot higher in SAO than they ever really were in .hack.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
The author started posting chapters online in 2002. They were collected into physical volumes starting in 2009.

It's got some common ground, but the stakes are a lot higher in SAO than they ever really were in .hack.

Huh. That honestly makes me way more interested in now, knowing that they were originally posted online at the same time. If the stakes are a lot higher than they were in .hack, I WILL be watching this.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
Looks like a rehashed .hack storyline too.

I don't blame you for feeling this way. I laughed when I first saw it. And I think it's kinda obvious that they're using Kajiura Yuki BECAUSE of .hack... but I was surprised to find out that the original novels (written on a cell phone by the author--as has become a popular novel-writing device in Japan in the past decade) were being posted to the public while .hack//SIGN and the .hack games were being developed and had only been announced. So, while they both share very similar ideas, the way they work is extremely different, as they were not exposed to each other at the time.

And now that I've read the first volume, I'm very pleased with how Sword Art Online is as a story and how it differentiates itself from .hack (I'm already a humongous fan of .hack--it's one of my biggest personal franchises). These are only spoilers for the beginning premise, but if you want to just walk in and be surprised, don't read!:

spoiler[Kirita was a beta tester for this new virtual reality game that uses a helmet that can send and receive brainwaves in order to shut down some of your physical movement in the real world and immerse your mind into the game--including sight, hearing, and even smell and taste and touch. Minus pain, of course. And things were all going swell until the release of the actual game. The lead programmer apparently decided to troll the ten-thousand players by excluding a "log-out" button, trapping their consciousnesses in the game. To make things worse, if anyone tries to force the helmet off or the helmet is left unplugged for more than two hours, or gets tampered with and such, it will fry the brain of the player. And, of course, if the player dies in the game, their brain will get fried as well. The family and friends of the players have been informed in the real world of this as well. So the fear of death is pretty realistically portrayed... but this programmer tells them that they need to have at least one person make it to the top floor of the world and beat the boss in order to free everyone. As of where the main duration of this story is, they only have a few more floors to go, and they've been going for 2 years, with only 6000 players left.]

And as for the characters, the anime might portray the male and female protagonist as pretty generic... but that's my only real fear. The novels well-categorized them as "exceptions" to your generic character tropes: The male protagonist is pretty normal as a person, but he's far from being a wimp, even if he is a loner. And the female protagonist seems very tsundere... until you notice that she spends more time being kind and caring and thoughtful of other characters, including the male protagonist. She only gets tsun-tsun for rare, brief moments, and it isn't hyped up...

But then I don't think I've ever read the characterizations behind other generic tsundere and such in novel form, so I don't know what could happen. At least the emotions should feel intense. I was drawn into the novel more than I've been drawn into a non-Urobuchi novel in a while. I can only hope the anime captures what makes it great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1