• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - First Outing

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
DmC has essentially proven itself with the demo (at least in terms of combat). At this point, it's just the ********* who are in-denial. Their basic argument is "It doesn't play like it did 10 years ago!"

We all know what we can expect at this point. The game will sell like hotcakes. The game will get rave reviews. The game will turn into a series that stands on its own.

Shut the f**k up, and move on.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
the basic arguement is: he looks like a pretty boy and a sissy.
who cares if the combat is good if I run around looking like justin bieber.
I dont think it will sell well, capcom already has a tarnished rep and I am tired of all the bad castlevania remakes.

I have cherry high it's a standard stat simulator.
I don't like it because you can only save at the end of each day
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
PrecisionCrab wrote:
DmC has essentially proven itself with the demo (at least in terms of combat). At this point, it's just the fucktards who are in-denial. Their basic argument is "It doesn't play like it did 10 years ago!"

We all know what we can expect at this point. The game will sell like hotcakes. The game will get rave reviews. The game will turn into a series that stands on its own.

Shut the f**k up, and move on.

I'm a big DMC fan, yet I'm skipping it. I don't like what they did to Dante and I won't reward them with my money.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Devil May Cry fans were a bit hard on CAPCOM and Ninja Theory's attempt to reboot the whole franchise.

Understatement of the month!

Also if you think about the lack of haircuts in The Last Story makes sense since I've never seen a hairdresser in an RPG.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I've been eying on The Last Story for some time, but I heard the game is like about 30+ hours of gameplay compared to Xenoblade where I managed 200+ hours. I guess I'll give the former a shot before it becomes hard to find.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
the basic arguement is: he looks like a pretty boy and a sissy

What a shallow reason to dislike something.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Those dating sims are strange??

It seems pretty normal compared to... a lot.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Considering I can breeze through Halo 4, Far Cry 3, etc in a day or less, 30 hours is still a long game. For every 50 plus hour rpg there are at lest 4 or 5 with about half that length. I dont see how you can penalize the game for only being 30 hours. This is coming from a jPRG fan, Id honestly rather play a 30 hour game rather than a 200 hour game. There comes a time when enough is enough.

Plus honestly I dont understand why but people seem to be punishing Hironobu Sakaguichi, the man who created FF, while on the flip side the company that is running FF into the ground with crap like FF13 and its sequels (how does the worst FF get two bloody sequels). Square does not give fans what they want aka KH 3, FF 7 remake, Versus, instead they go buy Eidos, and put out crap like Hitman and tomb raider. Sakaguichi puts out a solid title in Blue Dragon, in my opinion one of the best storylines ever in Lost Odyssey, and another gem in Last Story, and the man is treated like a leper. What did he do to get such disdain.

Regarding Cherry story, its an obscure, I think digital only, pc release. There is a reason nobody played that one. You plop that cover with a ps3 or xbox stripe above it, Ill buy that day one. If I have to buy it as a digital download only off some niche pc site, Ill never buy.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

I'm a big DMC fan, yet I'm skipping it. I don't like what they did to Dante and I won't reward them with my money.

TitanXL wrote:
potatochobit wrote:

What a shallow reason to dislike something.

Laughing

By all means. Let's all stop spending money on games that feature male protagonists who don't look like Japanese women, regardless of how good the game really is. Not saying Dante looked like one, but the argument could still be made.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

Actually the classic Dante was kind of androgynous with the long white hair and his clothing. New Dante looks more like a normal gang member.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Square does not give fans what they want aka KH 3, FF 7 remake, Versus

By 'fans' you mean 'you'. If remaking an old game and a random game no one knows anything about is what people want, Square would be wise to ignore 'the fans' and focus on the people who actually buy their stuff.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:

Also if you think about the lack of haircuts in The Last Story makes sense since I've never seen a hairdresser in an RPG.

You've never played Atelier Iris 2? I quote from a character list in a Wikipedia article:
anonymous Wikipedians wrote:
Theresa (テレッサ): A famous stylist from Grand City who gives Noin a makeover.
Moggsster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Last week I made a post about Growlanser making the list of underrated games of the year. This week Growlanser is on the list of underrated games of the year. I for one feel vindicated as well as satisfied.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Plus honestly I don't understand why but people seem to be punishing Hironobu Sakaguchi, the man who created FF, while on the flip side the company that is running FF into the ground with crap like FF13 and its sequels (how does the worst FF get two bloody sequels). Square does not give fans what they want aka KH 3, FF 7 remake, Versus, instead they go buy Eidos, and put out crap like Hitman and Tomb raider. Sakaguchi puts out a solid title in Blue Dragon, in my opinion one of the best storylines ever in Lost Odyssey, and another gem in Last Story, and the man is treated like a leper. What did he do to get such disdain.

I agree. If Sakaguchi had the financial backing rivaling Square's productions, we would have more genre pushing and traditional-like RPGs. The Last Story was a step in the right direction and Blue Dragon's gameplay was a refinement of what he did in FFV. Lost Odyssey had some of the best characterization and stories I've seen in an RPG. The Thousand Years of Dreams narratives were brilliant. Honestly, I'd wish the game's story revolved more around that. I'm hoping that XSEED and Nintendo bring Sakaguchi and Mistwalker back to make another RPG.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Im a huge RPG fan, yet I found The Last Story to be intensely bland and uninteresting. The battle system was ok, but I didn't feel like it was that great either. Im glad it did well since I want to see RPG's start selling again, but The Last Story is vastly overhyped in almost every area.

Regarding DMC, I disagree that it's "hilarious" when "Dante" and one of the bosses just start saying fudge you to each other. I call that terrible writing and very childish. It honestly feels like a 7th grader was brought in to write the script. Call the original Dante kinda lame, but at least he was a likable character and the story, while nothing amazing, at least didn't try to be faux edgy and just downright unlikable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3