• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Psychic Reading

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings on Natsuyuki Rendezvous right now although I'm hoping for something surprising soon towards the end. It's certainly something refreshing to watch though for this summer season and Noitamina does not disappoint imo.

Nice key chains collection though! and some of those old school works.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The show is so weighty that I'm confident I'll reach some kind of Aristotelian catharsis by the end.

I have seen some of the opinions on the internet of the ending of manga.Apparently people found it to be very surprising,not shocking but very surprising indeed.I cant wait to see it!
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
First of all, it's straight-up shocking that a show like this could get made, especially as an animated series. Anime fans often lament the lack of shojo titles, yet this is based on josei manga. I cannot imagine a world where a series for twenty-something ladies would be animated in America, but I guess that's where Noitamina comes in.

It's not like Josei anime have never been made, and enough have been successful. Just look at Nodame Cantabile. And Chihayafuru is getting a second season.

They're not at all common, but it's not as if they've never existed Very Happy.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Uta Koi highlighted. As a Chihayafuru fan I definitely appreciate the history (even a liberal view point) beyond the poems.
I also really love how women are portrayed in this series, definitely my idea of strongly written characters.

Not the greatest budget but it does have a lot of great seiyuu, a lot of great seiyuu reciting poetry that is.
Botan24

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
This week's shelves: The "grillin' Menchi" kit is hilarious. Smile

To me, Natsuyuki Rendezvous has lost its original promise. The episodes up to spoiler[Ryousuke's possession] were good. But while he is spoiler[stuck in fairy-tale/sketchbook land, Shimao has just been screwing around with Rokka]. It's slow pacing with very little character development. But, I'm glad I've stuck with it because it looks like this week's episode (#10) will bring things back on track. We'll see.

Utakoi is just fun to watch. I do like history, so I'm enjoying learning about the Heian period, and customs. The whole bamboo curtain aspect is definitely romantic, as is using the fan to cover the face. Also, the politics that go on in the palace are intriguing without being dry. And the visuals are nifty. They went a different direction, especially in regards to precipitation.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Natsuyuki Rendezvous is one of those shows that would only really find a home on Noitamina, and I love Noitamina for it.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I was really happy to see Crunchyroll get a josei title, Natsuyuki Rendezvous. I started out liking the show, but like Erin and others have commented, it's really heavy. I stopped watching because it hurt too much. The scene where spoiler[ Rokka gets sick and Atsushi can't help her] was the deal breaker for me. If I hear that it has a strong ending, then I'll give it another chance. It's not that I only want to watch happy shows, but I don't want to be dragged down week after week only to find out the show has a crappy, or worse, unfinished, ending.

I'm really enjoying Utakoi. It's nice to see that others are too.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
No No.6? That did come out, right? Or since it already got stream worthy it won't come back onto shelf life?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
FYI, Psychic Squad will keep getting better, don't you worry about that.
About Hyobou's vast array of powers: spoiler[he's basically an anomaly, an esper who, by a freak accident, ended up with pretty much every single possible power, at the same time. Of course, there are side-effects.]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
First of all, it's straight-up shocking that a show like this could get made, especially as an animated series.

Not really when it's noitamina. Besides, it's going to be used to boost the manga sales, just like Chihayafuru, so it's all gravy. If this was a stand-alone production out of the blue, yeah, it would be an oddball choice, but it fits in well following Kids on the Slope and Tsuritama. As for Chihayafuru, it's still got cute girls and one of them is mega busty.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I gave up on Natsuyuki Rendezvous earlier on. The protagonist is like the Bella Swan of anime, always with a dead fish expression.

As a romantic piece I just found Utakoi more accomplished and better paced. The male protagonists didn't annoy me, and the female ones aren't just strong superficially like this woman.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I ended up dropping Natsuyuki Rendezvous after five episodes because it became a chore to watch. The characters didn't have much chemistry, and I didn't really care about them. If you don't care about the characters, there's not much of a reason to watch a romance.

I am, however, still watching and enjoying Utakoi. Anything that teaches and entertains at the same time is worth watching.
unready

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I've been much less impressed with Natsuyuki Rendezvous. After the preview guide rated it so highly, I gave it a try. I know Bamboo still rates it highly in The Stream, but I would summarize the series as follows:

Two guys fight over a girl. She has no idea it's even happening.

The fact that one of them is dead is kind of interesting, but it's still:

Two guys fight over a girl. She has no idea it's even happening.

It's definitely different from the standard teen harem romance we usually get, but I'm not convinced I should call this "mature."
mad mac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ended up dropping Natsuyuki Rendezvous after five episodes because it became a chore to watch. The characters didn't have much chemistry, and I didn't really care about them. If you don't care about the characters, there's not much of a reason to watch a romance.

Pretty much this. I might go back to it if people say it ends strong, but everything I've read indicates it more or less derails just after I dropped it, so eh.

Psychic Squad definitely continues getting better. In retrospect I probably liked it more every 12 episodes or so I watched, so the way it's being released is oddly fitting. It even has a reasonably strong ending for an anime based on an ongoing manga. spoiler[Timeskips are useful that way.]

I didn't much like the Naomi/Creepy Sup jokes either, but it's something else that becomes much less frequent after a while and it bothered me less when I realized that no is supposed to like that guy even a little bit.

Dr. Sakaki and Mio on the other hand are definitely sticking around for the long haul and get quite a bit of development. The animal team are pretty minor characters but they do have a really good episode later on.

Never got around to Utakoi, I already know a fair bit of Japanese history and nothing about it sounded compelling to me.
Maigraith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Nice collection this week^_^ Woo for some BGC.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4