• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bunny Drop GN 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
plot may be heading in a direction some readers won't like.

Yeah....thats one way too put it Laughing .
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca wrote:
Almost more interesting than his parenting of Rin, however, is his relationship with Kouki, who clearly sees Daikichi as his father figure.

This can actually been seen quite strongly in the Anime series and specials as well. He is definitely a great father figure to a boy who really needed one, even at a young age.
snickersnack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
Thank you for this review, Rebecca! I'm still on the fence about whether I want to keep up with this series after the time jump, and it's definitely helpful reading your reviews. I hope you can see it through to the end!
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote
Regarding Akari: spoiler[It's odd that a character who knows so very well what she wants to do with her life is basically wasting so much time manipulating and controlling Kouki. I doubt it's because she planned the whole "having sex with him and trying to fool him into giving her child support" so far in advance, a plan that would have failed anyway since she would never have given birth to a baby that didn't exist anyway. I'm guessing she was primarly meant as the wedge (like you mentioned) that eventually drove Rin and Kouki apart.]
As far as my opinion on her goes, it pretty much mirrors Rin's: I didn't much care for her manipulative and controlling (and trolling) side, but I didn't have anything in particular against the ambitions she had for her own future. (Which was pecurilarly mature and somewhat at odds with her earlier actions.)

I see there's a tenth volume too now, which, as far as I understand, returns to Rin's childhood for... well, more of that, I guess. Which makes me curious about whether it'll just be more innocent adventures or if it's going to do some post-volume 9 damage reduction.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
For anyone who liked the first four volumes of Usagi Drop manga, I highly recommend another similar story written a few years before this one.
Aishiteruze Baby.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read my copy of vol 6 yet but this definitely does sound like a step up from 5. It definitely will be nice to see a few more ties to the first four volumes with Daikichi having a larger role and the flashbacks, even if they don't go all the way back.

I'm determined to keep up with the series until the end because I'm curious to see how its done, plus it doesn't hit as many squick buttons with me as it does for others.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
Quote:
plot may be heading in a direction some readers won't like.

Yeah....thats one way too put it Laughing .

I thought I was being very coy about it. Laughing

dtm42 wrote:
This can actually been seen quite strongly in the Anime series and specials as well. He is definitely a great father figure to a boy who really needed one, even at a young age.

Absolutely, and it's one of my favorite things about the series in any form. We don't always get to see good fathers in manga (or any good parents, but I think mothers are a bit more common), so that makes Daikichi all the more striking.

Mohawk52 wrote:
For anyone who liked the first four volumes of Usagi Drop manga, I highly recommend another similar story written a few years before this one.
Aishiteruze Baby.

That was another great one. Oddly enough, "raising small children unexpectedly" seems to be its own genre...one of my favorites is Mika Kawamura's Daa! Daa! Daa!, which takes things to a wackier level but still manages to be sweet.

marie-antoinette wrote:
I'm determined to keep up with the series until the end because I'm curious to see how its done

My feelings too, although after volume 5 I had some second thoughts. So, snickersnack, I'm glad you're enjoying the reviews and I hope they can remain helpful to you! (Great Jabberwocky reference in the name there, by the way. My boat is called the Slithey Toves.)
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
If you are thinking of continuing this series I have one piece of advice: run, run and never look back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1