• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why I think there should be a Video Game Forum.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anime racket

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious as to whether ann would consider adding a general
video game discussion thread next to the anime and manga threads.
I think it would be cool if there was as I am sure that many anime
fans are also heavy gamers and would enjoy discussing videogames
on the forums. Also, with anime news network's increasing
number of videogame reviews I think that this would come at a
good time. What do you guys think?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:
I think it would be cool if there was as I am sure that many anime
fans are also heavy gamers and would enjoy discussing videogames
on the forums.

I am sure that many anime fans are also human beings and would enjoy discussing anything human beings are interested in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
anime racket

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm just saying that videogames would make for good discussion
on the forums as the two hobbies often overlap and are enjoyed
by the same kinds of people.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I think that anime racket makes a valid point.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
This is probably more likely to happen than not in the coming months - but we're not quite ready to commit just yet. Suffice to say, I don't think it's a bad idea at all.

I'd like to arrange some multiplayer ANN games too, where forum users and site staff can play together. That'd be fun. ...I think?
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
*once again voices her opinion that video games and tokusatsu should be added to the encyclopedia*
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
*once again voices her opinion that video games and tokusatsu should be added to the encyclopedia*

I do agree that they'll be added eventually, as they do play very important factors to the current subculture that Japan is proudly exporting with. However, I do find the cliched reasoning "because most anime fans are also video gamers" very lame and a bit annoying.

It would be a good idea if we start with video games that have been adapted to/from anime and/or manga; unfortunately, in the past nine years most -- if not all -- requests for a video game forum asked for ALL types of games, which would attract a very different kind of readership and create an administrative mayhem.

Last edited by dormcat on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Yeah but if you believe dormcat - and I have no reason to doubt him - the Encyclopedia doesn't even have all the Anime and Manga ever made. There's apparently a large backlog of things he and other editors have yet to get through. So adding video games would just make his workload even worse.

I've got nothing against video games being in the Encyclopedia per se, but shouldn't the focus be on getting the Anime and Manga sections up to date? Once that's done, then there would be time for video games et cetera.

Edit: speaking of dormcat, there he is.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
[...]
I've got nothing against video games being in the Encyclopedia per se, but shouldn't the focus be on getting the Anime and Manga sections up to date? [...]

I fail to see how the manga section will EVER be brought up to date! (especially if you include dōjinshi)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I'd be happy if the manga section could just keep up with US releases. Especially the dates of publication and the number of volumes. It helps to know before you start a series if it is five volumes or 45 + and ongoing.

As far as dojinshi is concerned, I see no reason to list this with manga at all. If someone is OCD enough to try to keep track of it, fine. However it should have a seperate section, possibly with links back to the original story.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
I fail to see how the manga section will EVER be brought up to date! (especially if you include dōjinshi)

With the current manpower, it's a virtually impossible task. Even Japanese publishers don't have ALL their releases online (even s-book system of Hitotsubashi Group have currently available titles only for the general public; not sure if the restricted, registered retailers-only pages have more titles). Therefore I really admire people hosting and maintaining Comic Holmes, the most comprehensive unofficial collection of Hakusensha shojo manga titles.

Alan45 wrote:
I'd be happy if the manga section could just keep up with US releases. Especially the dates of publication and the number of volumes. It helps to know before you start a series if it is five volumes or 45 + and ongoing.

In fact I just fixed releases of a few popular manga titles couple days ago. Worse yet, many pre-millennium releases (particularly those early birds with Western comic pamphlet-styled flipped periodicals) had very chaotic release info: with the same ISBN, different sources have different release dates, cover arts, page counts, and MSRP.

Alan45 wrote:
However it should have a seperate section, possibly with links back to the original story.

Just for the record: many doujinshi have original stories.

Er...... were we talking about a video game forum?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This is probably more likely to happen than not in the coming months - but we're not quite ready to commit just yet. Suffice to say, I don't think it's a bad idea at all.

I'd like to arrange some multiplayer ANN games too, where forum users and site staff can play together. That'd be fun. ...I think?

The idea of the multiplayer games sounds fun. Would that be open to all or perhaps another subscriber perk maybe? I would also think a video game forum would be a nice idea. I mean at all major cons anymore there's a video game room set up. They really do sort of go hand in hand with fans, and there are also many "anime' inspired, in terms of plot or graphics, or adaptations, games out there as well. Might also spark some new activity. Really like the multiplayer game idea though.
anime racket

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
I also think that multiplayer games would be a great idea, although
I would probably not be able to participate. I think it would be
cool if the results of each match could be posted and discussed on
the forums.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1