• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Golden Globes Increases Animated Film Nominees to Five

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
This should be interesting to see who gets nominated and congratulations to whoever they choose ahead of time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I think the only major difference between the Golden Globe nominees and the Academy nominees will be that Ice Age 3 will likely be nominated for the Globe and not the Oscar due to the ungodly amount of money Ice Age 3 has made overseas ($682 million).

Should that happen, though, that means one of the films that will be nominated by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences won't be nominated by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, and ironically, I suspect that the Oscar-nominated film that the Globes will snub in that eventuality will probably be Ponyo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Pfft big deal most of the time from this point on we'll just see 5 more mediocer animation films nominated followed by the occasional Miyazaki/Ghibli flick every few years.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi: Nah, the people running the Globes have more taste than the people running the Oscars. Anyway, I'm just hoping the Annies won't screw over Eva 1.0 or Ponyo, because the members of the unions who vote for these things aren't pressured by their guilds to support American shows again.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Ummm, sorry, but no. Why should Ponyo win? Because it's Ghibli and because it's anime. I know that's all it takes for you GATSU, but there is no way Ponyo should take that award. It was one of Ghibli's weaker efforts, and an all around good, but not great film. Not to say it's bad, it wasn't, but it wasn't top tier award worthy material in my opinion, and many others not bias by a love of anime. As for Eva 1.0, it's even less deserving.

It's amazing the bias you see sometimes. People cry and moan about these awards and how anime gets "snubbed" or "cheated" or whatever words are thrown out, and these people then talk about how these academies and such are bias towards this or that. The ironic and hypocritical part about it all is that this is often the cry of people who are insanely bias towards anime, and are just as guilty of what they accuse others of being, or more so. Enough with the, "boo hoo, anime got snubbed; they're obviously inferior human beings with bias and hatred towards anime", the whole hypocritical pot meets kettle thing with the mixed in persecution complex gets old.

I'm sorry to say, but being an anime film does not automatically make it the best, or the deserving winner. In fact, I would argue that feature film is actually the weakest point for anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chibitoon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
I say... UP, Ice Age 3, Ponyo, The Princess and The Frog, A Christmas Carol...........then they will play darts for the fifth one. Anime hyper

CT
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:47 am Reply with quote
Keonyn: Ponyo should win, because it's a quality-animated film which isn't trying to pander to a particular demo, subculture, or gimmick-oriented style of animation, like everything else released this year. And I can accept a Ghibli movie not winning: Howl's Moving Castle. Since opinions on the actual film are subjective, I'll just say that when the other directors can come up with nature scenes as realistic those in Ponyo, then we'll talk. As for Eva 1.0, whether or not it's deserving, Gainax itself deserves some high-profile recognition here for its history in the industry.

Quote:
The ironic and hypocritical part about it all is that this is often the cry of people who are insanely bias towards anime, and are just as guilty of what they accuse others of being, or more so.

Actually, a lot of anime fans were rooting for Bashir last year, and do comment on the other contenders. So, yes, the people who vote for these things do have horrible taste in animation. Rolling Eyes
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:04 am Reply with quote
Useless, useless and useless. About as useful as your excessive use of the eyeroll emoticon.

I'd venture to say Ponyo is trying to pander to a particular demo, subculture and gimmick-oriented style of animation, just like everything else. It's just in Ponyo's case it as pandering to the style that you like, so you don't notice. Just how like people whine and complain about TV shows or certain movies and all the overused elements and cliches, even though anime is just as guilty. The difference is that they like those overused elements in the anime case, so they don't notice. Doesn't mean they don't exist, just as you're saying so doesn't mean that Ponyo is any less guilty of what you claim, or that any of the films you're claiming are "pandering" are actually doing so.

It's sad really, but you seem to be of this mind that because GATSU says so then it must be the case, and then you use that as the basis for your claims. Your anime bias and hatred of the western industries is well known, if not legendary, so I'm afraid you're going to have to present something a little more than hearsay.

I'd say other directors have come up with nature scenes as realistic, and more so, than Ponyo in the past. Problem with your claim in this case is that none of the other potential contenders were making films that required nature scenes. This isn't the EPA Awards or the Animal Planet Hall of Fame, so taking a single elements that Ponyo did well at and using the basis that the other potential contenders didn't do it is a weak effort to force it to the top. Plus, this isn't about "directors", it's not the directors who do that, it's the animators and the team. Throwing "director" in there begins to make me thing that, as expected, this is more about Miyazaki to you than anything. Sorry though, but throwing an arbitrary and pointless requirement in there to determine if we can "talk" isn't how the boards work.

There's also far more to the movie than the quality of nature scenes. As a story and as a film, Ponyo was an entertaining film with poor pacing and mediocre characters and development. Of course, that's only my opinion, but one that seems to be echoed amongst the community that doesn't wear the anime blinders. It's an unfortunately lackluster attempt from a studio that has struggled to reproduce their success with Spirited Away, which was a film that really did deserve its awards.

In regards to Eva 1.0, I'm afraid this isn't the "let's reward the company" award, it's about the film, and Eva 1.0 isn't a film that deserves it. On top of that, it's arguable that Gainax even deserves recognition since they really haven't done an impressive amount for the industry aside from a few high profile shows, at most. They also have a few clouds hovering overhead in regards to how they operate that would work against them as well. Frankly, there's a ton of more deserving companies out there that deserve recognition over Gainax, some from Japan, some from the US, some from abroad.

And as for your final comment, that's as ridiculous as anything you've ever said, not to mention soapboxing and practically trolling. So because some people were pulling for something else, and it didn't win, the voters must have horrible taste? That's a good bookend to your equally bias comments posted above that present nothing aside from you, again, trying to say your opinion is law. Honestly GATSU, if you're going to soapbox again, then you're done here again. It's one thing to disagree, and support your case, but quite another to just say the way you believe it to be is the way it is and use that as the basis of your claims. On top of that, to then insult an entire group of minds in the industry simply because they have the audacity to disagree with you.

If you don't mind, I'm going to postpone my call to NASA for the moment, because I'm beginning to doubt you really are the center of the universe. A shame too, that would have been quite a find.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsieczka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Sorry but Ponyo should not win an award, nor even be nominated. 2009 has some very strong animated works and Ponyo was just not very good in comparison to them. If I was to pick 5 films they would be:
Mary and Max
The Secret of Kells
Up
Fantastic Mr. Fox
from the bits that I have seen The Princess and the Frog.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1