• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moderator Response Question

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=122858:
I said "There's an anime store site called Force Anime. However, they sell lots of bootlegs. Is there anything I can do to help put this company out of business?"

Mad Tony K said before he locked it:
Quote:
Send them a package with a bomb in it.

I don't understand what it was that I did wrong to have that thread locked. I just simply was asking how to pull the plug on a company doing bootlegs that harm the anime community. By shutting companies like these down, it will potentially help the struggling anime community bit by bit.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I don't understand what it was that I did wrong to have that thread locked.

Let me ask you something: What order of discussion would have come from asking a question to which it takes only one person to answer?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and let you know many of your replies are borderline on being non-discussion. Writing one-liners to say you agree with another poster isn't the way to be taken seriously when posing a question like this.

But more bluntly: it also shouldn't allow you to ask such a question of the mods, who most (if not all) have given you feedback on your posting style.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but honestly giving constructive criticism. Please improve your posting style and stop with the one-liners/lack of discussions.

Don't be too surprised if this thread is also locked, given it's only going to take one mod to answer it.
Ralifar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I've got a tip that should be fairly easy to follow. Not just for CL, but for everyone.

This won't work every time, but chances are it'll work a good portion of the time. When you type that one liner instead of putting a period at the end add an adverb clause. Such as because or since followed by a short explanation. There are many others that can easily be googled. Adverb clauses don't have to be at the end of a statement, but if we start small I'm sure we can work our way up to bigger and better things.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello, I agree with your statements 99%. And Ralifar, the adverb tip is a great idea as well.

^ see how annoying that is?

Now let me elaborate. I agree with 99% of PJ's statements because the 1% of disagreement is that I won't be locking this thread. While not a serious problem, CL's posting style still represents an irk to a few (or a lot?) of the users around here and I'd like to keep this topic open for honest (maybe even harsh, though still helpful) criticism.

The adverb tip by Ralifar is great idea and points out a key, if not vastly underused element of writing that people shouldn't have any problems incorporating into their writing styles. It's true that it won't always work, as the content you post after said adverb is still subject to intelligence/relevance testing, but it's better than nothing.

Ctimene, your posts, while good-willed and plentiful in inquisition, are crap. I've seen a few that go into a pretty good amount of detail here and there, but you have this general tendency of posting very blank and inattentive statements that add nothing to a discussion or questions that feel like ramblings and/or bad rhetoric.

EDIT: Grammar goof.

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Making assumptions about somebody based simply on what you read of their posts on a message board is always dicey. But here goes: Ctimene, I believe you are a troll. I think you deliberately post a profusion of one-liner, contentless posts to get a rise out of admins and posters alike. I base this on the fact that you have had your knuckles rapped several times by different mods and nothing ever changes. As I said in a different post where I alluded to, but did not name you specifically, it really is hard to believe that somebody could be that boring and clueless without it being a put-on.

I hope I'm wrong. Because if I'm not, then I have given you exactly the kind of reaction you are looking for. Also, if my assumption is wrong, and you post the way you post because you genuinely are not capable of doing it any other way, then my apologies for the troll accusation.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Ctimene, your posts, while good-willed and plentiful in inquisition, are crap. I've seen a few that go into a pretty good amount of detail here and there, but you have this general tendency of posting very blank and inattentive statements that add nothing to a discussion or questions that feel like ramblings and/or bad rhetoric.

Yeah, I just wanted to highlight the word inattentive because for me at least, that's what is irritating about your posts Ctimene. It seems like you're not really entirely paying attention to what you're saying. You've just kinda skimmed over the conversation and are spitting out the first thing to run through your mind. Try to think more about how what you're saying will sound to other people. Will it be coherent and understandable to them? Is it something they would be interested to hear? Or is it something fairly obvious that everyone is likely already aware of.
Ralifar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I've thought of some more advice. This also isn't directed just at you CL because I see lots of people do it.

After I finish reading a thread or post I often think, "Yes, I agree with this." I go to hit the reply button, but then I realize that that is just it. I agree with what has been said. I don't disagree or have anything further to add, so me typing, "Yes such-and-such is a good show" or something similar won't add anything to the conversation. This makes me pull back from the reply button. I realize I can always come back later if I think of something pertinent to add.

The point I'm making here is that you don't always have to reply just because you agree or disagree with something. If you don't have anything to add then there's really no point in making the post. Simple statements of agreement or disagreement don't make a difference to a conversation as a whole.
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover: One way that you could help put some of these issues to rest is to reply to this thread and explain what you took away from this. Personally I don't have a huge issue with you (yet) and I don't think you're trying to be an intentional troll, but replying to this thread sure couldn't hurt to help solidify that assumption. Also, rather than try to explain your one-liners with another line or two, I'd just find something you really get fired up about and reply to that instead. Find a topic you can write a whole paragraph about without even having to think about it. Then stick to following that topic instead of just replying half-heartedly to a dozen other topics that don't really mean all that much to you.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
But here goes: Ctimene, I believe you are a troll. I think you deliberately post a profusion of one-liner, contentless posts to get a rise out of admins and posters alike. I base this on the fact that you have had your knuckles rapped several times by different mods and nothing ever changes.
Here's my take on the situation: I don't think Ctimene is an intentional troll. I really don't. In my perspective, even though lately he has regularly made a point to let us BL fans know that he's not into BL (or yuri for that matter) and doesn't like it at all, I don't sense that... maliciousness about it that a true troll would have. It just seems like more of need to interact in some way, albeit a rather socially-awkward way (i.e., by telling fans of a genre that you don't care for that genre with no constructive reasons why).

Did I, BL-fan that I am, just defend Ctimene's Lover? I guess I did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
But that's one of the things that irritates me: he insists on bringing up his extreme dislike for yaoi/yuri in about 3/4 of his posts, even if it is barely related to the topic at all. We get that he doesn't like it. He doesn't have to mention it in every single post he makes. Someone else commented on this as well, so I know I'm not the only one. And I even know why he doesn't like it, because he's mentioned he's a conservative Christian a couple times. So yeah, we get it. You (Ctimene) don't have to pound it into our heads. All it does is irritate the rest of us who either like yaoi/yuri or don't mind it.

I'm not saying you can't mention it; that's your belief, whatever. But tone it down a little, will you?
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
I thank you for pointing out the thing of me needing to tone down my dislike of GL/BL. I am also happy I am under moderation right now because it gives me an incentive to change my posting style because otherwise I could be banned. As for as the trolling thing goes, I will say that is a mix of intentional/unintentional posts. Intentional trolling posts I have done include stating what the first sentence in this paragraph is about.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Blood- wrote:
But here goes: Ctimene, I believe you are a troll. I think you deliberately post a profusion of one-liner, contentless posts to get a rise out of admins and posters alike. I base this on the fact that you have had your knuckles rapped several times by different mods and nothing ever changes.
Here's my take on the situation: I don't think Ctimene is an intentional troll. I really don't. In my perspective, even though lately he has regularly made a point to let us BL fans know that he's not into BL (or yuri for that matter) and doesn't like it at all, I don't sense that... maliciousness about it that a true troll would have. It just seems like more of need to interact in some way, albeit a rather socially-awkward way (i.e., by telling fans of a genre that you don't care for that genre with no constructive reasons why).

Did I, BL-fan that I am, just defend Ctimene's Lover? I guess I did.

I agree that I don't get a whiff of maliciousness from Ctimene either, but I think there is a spectrum of troll behaviour that runs from the utterly malevolent at one end to whimsical piss-takers at the other. If CL is in fact a troll, he'd definitely be in the latter category. Again, my main reason for suspecting him of this is that I have seen numerous examples of mods castigating him for his posting style and him just continuing to do the same thing over and over. Yes, perhaps he really is just socially awkward and/or dense, but my cynical nature detects something else at work here. But in fairness, I could be completely wrong.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:00 am Reply with quote
Alright, I think this thread is done. CL has said his piece and Tony has given his response. Other than that, it's turning in to a "Let's bash CL" thread and the Feedback forum is not in place for users to criticize other users.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1