• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 70 Million PlayStation 3s Shipped Worldwide in 6 Years

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Well done Sony. I always see shelevs stocked full of 360 and all my local stores say they've been selling more PS3s lately. I think Microsoft meant sales to retailers, but it sounds better to be vague. Either way, a year head-start...

Grats to Sony, I love my ps3 and the free online play, the free games for poeple that do choose to subscribe, great bluray player, great for streaming video.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Heard about this from other news site (ie: Playstation Lifestyle, Kotaku, IGN, etc...). That's good news to hear.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to say that the reason the PS3 is being sold quite frequently now is probably due to Viz's Neon Alley anime subscription program... It's only available for the PS3... so I can understand why a lot of people are purchasing PS3's... if I had the money, I'd certainly buy one -_-
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:51 am Reply with quote
Rate of console sales are down actually. Traditional gaming isn't as it used to be. Here's a look at the trend:

Wii pretty much fell of the cliff (ergo cometh the Wii U). PS3 is down but steady. Xbox 360 surprisingly shows more late life (because of that, Microsoft could actually afford to delay releasing the Xbox 720 even longer than the others). The 360 lead over the PS3 used to be shrinking but now the gap is actually growing, though neither of them will catch the Wii.

PS3 is winding down partly because its strength has become its weakness. Why do gamers pick the PS3 over the others? Because if they want to play Japanese-type games, the PS3 is the place to be. Problem is, Japanese developers are developing less and less games for the consoles in favor of the handhelds, while western developers still continue developing for consoles. That eroding PS3 advantage makes for less and less enthusiasm, particularly with the other consoles being cheaper.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:29 am Reply with quote
I love me my PS3! X-Box 360 is so much fail. So defective and has such poor graphics and boring games.
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:36 am Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
I love me my PS3! X-Box 360 is so much fail. So defective and has such poor graphics and boring games.

This was a very productive post. Please, tell me more.

sakurablossom143 wrote:
I'd like to say that the reason the PS3 is being sold quite frequently now is probably due to Viz's Neon Alley anime subscription program... It's only available for the PS3... so I can understand why a lot of people are purchasing PS3's... if I had the money, I'd certainly buy one -_-

While I don't really know all the relevant statistics, I'm pretty sure that the PS3 has more to offer than Viz's streaming service...
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:58 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Rate of console sales are down actually. Traditional gaming isn't as it used to be. Here's a look at the trend:

Wii pretty much fell of the cliff (ergo cometh the Wii U). PS3 is down but steady. Xbox 360 surprisingly shows more late life (because of that, Microsoft could actually afford to delay releasing the Xbox 720 even longer than the others). The 360 lead over the PS3 used to be shrinking but now the gap is actually growing, though neither of them will catch the Wii.

PS3 is winding down partly because its strength has become its weakness. Why do gamers pick the PS3 over the others? Because if they want to play Japanese-type games, the PS3 is the place to be. Problem is, Japanese developers are developing less and less games for the consoles in favor of the handhelds, while western developers still continue developing for consoles. That eroding PS3 advantage makes for less and less enthusiasm, particularly with the other consoles being cheaper.

Your numbers seem a bit ... suspect. Microsoft announced that they've shipped 70 million 360s last month. Then again, IIRC Microsoft shipped a tonne of 360 stock in Q411 that ultimately didn't sell and had a tinny Q1 the following fiscal year.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:49 am Reply with quote
I wonder if that counts the 360s that RROD'd and died and people had to buy new ones to replace them.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote
OK, here is what we have at home.

4 XBOX 360's, 3 functional + 1 RRoD'd & collecting dust. None were bought new, one was given to us by a very disgruntled owner.

1 PS3, bought new. It does triple duty as a Game console, Blu-Ray player and the preferred streaming device for our home entertainment center.

One WII also bought new, it's the home entertainment center Game console #2 after the PS3.

None of the XBOX 360's have ever been a part of the home entertainment center. All are confined to my three son's bedrooms and have always been so.

In my experience bought new games are confined to the PS3 & WII, while the XBOX's run mostly used titles from Gamestop.

Overall the experience with XBOX has been sub-par, we only have as many of them as we do because we bought used or were gifted and bought redundant to ensure having one functional.

The one paramount factor is that everyone in the family, all 5 of us including my wife and myself, have at least 1 or more handheld game consoles. 3 to 1 DS series vs PSP. The bulk of our gaming dollars goes to the handhelds.

Mark Gosdin
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:39 am Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
X-Box 360 is so much fail. So defective and has such poor graphics and boring games.

Are you still stuck from 4 years ago? Heating hasn't been much of a problem since the switch from the first 2 iterations of 1st gen (Xenon and Zephyr) to the improved Jasper heat-sink (2008) and succeeding generations. And so far no problem with the Xbox Slim's change to the bigger fan. It hasn't been an issue anymore.

Meantime, most PS3 and 360 game graphics are pretty similar because (a) most games don't fully take advantage of their graphics capabilities anyways, and (b) most games are developed multi-platform from the get-go nowadays instead of ports (fewer exclusives).

As for boring, that's up to tastes, so there's no accounting for that.

Primus wrote:

Your numbers seem a bit ... suspect. Microsoft announced that they've shipped 70 million 360s last month.

Which numbers are suspect? 360s did reach 70+ million worldwide throughout its lifetime so far. The graph doesn't deny that.

mgosdin wrote:

1 PS3, bought new. It does triple duty as a Game console, Blu-Ray player and the preferred streaming device for our home entertainment center.

In my experience, the PS3 does have the best interface for streaming stuff like Netflix compared to other non-PC devices (not just consoles but others devices like networked bluray players, tablets, digital media receivers, etc.) so I use it for that too. However, whenever I want to play with friends and people, I find it's easier using the 360. (I'm still only just trying out the new SmartGlass feature.)

Anyways, here's another interesting graph (in percentile):

There's less and less of us...........
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1