• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - That Ken-Do Attitude

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pandadice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
So can I claim full responsibility for this weeks guest?

I really enjoyed the guest this week, it was very educational. This was the first time I actually cared about what the guest speaker had to say, and I listened to it with enthusiasm.

thank you.

and that guy worked on genius party? thats awesome.

Last edited by Pandadice on Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:37 am; edited 2 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:01 am Reply with quote
I'm more of a Firefly person than a Scott Pilgrim person, myself. Then again, I've only read a little of Scott Pilgrim. I may give it another chance at some point.

I want to hear more about bad writing position submissions. I love hearing about that, and at the same time hate it, because it makes me paranoid about my own submissions to places, but then ultimately leads me to improve. Plus there's a cruel part of me that enjoys chuckling at folks less talented than I.

That guy had some interesting information, but how many times did he say "y'know"? If you made a drinking game of it, you would have died from alcohol poisoning halfway through.

I always thought that Bandai Entertainment was the biggest game in town. Most of my collection is Bandai Entertainment DVDs. I find a lot of Funimation DVDs coming in recently, though, so I guess the writing is on the wall. I should shake off my delusion and face it: Funimation is in charge now. I just hope they don't send Vic Mignogna and Chris Patton to break my thumbs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
David.Seth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
Before I ask my question, i want to preface it with the fact that I know nothing of podcasts or twitter despite surfing the net since 96... anyway...

How do people ask specific questions for the guest on this podcast? Do they know that person is going to be a guest ahead of time? I guess to phrase it differently: are people listening to this live and then sending in questions on the fly via twitter? Or do they just know ahead of time that a certain guest (like Ken) is going to be on and just send in specific questions ahead of time. And if they do know ahead of time, is ANN posting this somewhere?

Last edited by David.Seth on Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
Sounds like Zac has been suffering from Hype Aversion. Unfortunately, Scott Pilgrim seems like a glorified webcomic. Rolling Eyes
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
Ken:

Yes, I KNOW, god damn it.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
Before I ask my question, i want to preface it with the fact that I know nothing of podcasts or twitter despite surfing the net since 96... anyway...

How do people ask specific questions for the guest on this podcast? Do they know that person is going to be a guest ahead of time? I guess to phrase it differently: are people listening to this live and then sending in questions on the fly via twitter? Or do they just know ahead of time that a certain guest (like Ken) is going to be on and just send in specific questions ahead of time. And if they do know ahead of time, is ANN posting this somewhere?

i'm pretty sure if you follow Zac on twitter, then he announces some time in advance who the guest is, and then takes it questions on twitter after that... afaik thats how it is.

but you can also email questions to Zac, that's acceptable to.

Last edited by Pandadice on Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
No more anime clubs?

In September, we had 394 anime clubs (US and Canada) actively request DVD screeners through our www.operationanime.com program for anime clubs.

In fact, we are experiencing a growth in screening memberships- primarily from libraries. We have lots of library anime clubs.

Lance Heiskell
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
Another great episode guys, extremely topical to boot. Immensely enjoyed this week's guest and the show.

Thanks for asking/answering my question about PR and HIMM - it's good to hear there were/are positive steps being taken for QC. The issue has come up quite a lot lately in the forums with the rise of sub-only DVD releases and this ep. provided a lot of insight to those issues at hand, as well as other things I've been wondering about.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:

i'm pretty sure if you follow Zac on twitter, then he announces some time in advance who the guest is, and then takes it questions on twitter after that... afaik thats how it is.

Well, thanks for the info... now I have to go figure out this twitter bs just so I can ask an appropriate question (would have liked to ask Ken about some Eyeshield 21 related stuff, but oh well... it wasnt that big of a deal to begin with lol)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
Pandadice wrote:

Well, thanks for the info... now I have to go figure out this twitter bs just so I can ask an appropriate question (would have liked to ask Ken about some Eyeshield 21 related stuff, but oh well... it wasnt that big of a deal to begin with lol)

You're also a subscriber and (when I remember to do it!) there's a sticky thread in the community forums that gets updated every week with the guest announcement a few days before we tape. So you can also use that.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

You're also a subscriber and (when I remember to do it!) there's a sticky thread in the community forums that gets updated every week with the guest announcement a few days before we tape. So you can also use that.

Awesome! Ill keep that in mind when its almost time for the next podcast
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
Zac: I haven't seen Ducktales in a while, but I liked it up until the Gizmo Duck and Darkwing Duck spin-offs. Those just seemed like cash-ins more than anything else. Though I pretty much lost interest in that line-up in general with Goof Troop and Bonkers.
Man, would John K. write a whole term paper on the lameness of those shows. Anyway, I hope you comment on Boondock Saints 2 in the next installment.

Quote:
Decepticons travel back in time to King Arthur's Court

Must've missed that one... Confused Speakin' of which, thoughs on Knights of Justice? Laughing

Quote:
Get your degree and come back

Man, none of the jobs I've ever been hired for needed my degree.

Quote:
Firefly, which was shoved down my throat

Oh, c'mon, what's so bad about Firefly, big guy? Rolling Eyes BTW, I hope you didn't have to pay for it, cus it's currently on Hulu.

Quote:
I saw the show. I saw the movie. I hated it.

Oh, c'mon, Whedon's a genius with his original ideas. Wink

Quote:
Jason Reitman saw 30 mins of [Scott Pilgrim] and said it was amazing

You still trust him after Jennifer's Body? Laughing Or was it also the Edgar Wright factor?

Quote:
Funny and compelling

Well, if you're itching to keep up with the movie, Wright has his own Twitter account.

Quote:
Nothing has come close to that professional level of terribleness

You should see the Devil Man Amon fansub. They don't even use the right names for the characters.

Quote:
Tokyo Tribes will probably be snapped up by Del Rey and Yen Press

Well, in one of my unanswered questions, I was wondering why 'Tribes wasn't license-rescued sooner, given the success of Afro Samurai and the Boondocks.

Justin:
Quote:
I liked Firefly, too

What about Buffy and Dollhouse?

Quote:
I don't dislike movies about relationships

What about the 90s Kevin Smith stuff?

Quote:
I loved 500 Days of Summer

I'm guessing it's cus Levitt's the star, and not some obnoxious pretty-boy? Wink

Quote:
Commentary tracks are inane

So you've heard Dezaki on Queen Bee, have you? Wink
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
Justin: Has anime really gotten to you that much that your dry,forced,fake laugh has to get more noticeable in each podcast ? Laughing

"You all know what laughter sounds like"

I ain't mad at you though. I share the sighs of doom with each new season. So much so, that I'm going back to the stuff I grew up with.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
I never watched the original Transformers show but I maintain that Beast Wars was and still is fantastic.

I don't know if I'm one of those fans who loses their shit over stuff. I hope not. I generally don't think I am though. There's a ton of stuff I really like but only a few things that I really get all fanboy over. Firefly is one of the few. It's just such a unique and endearing show.

Honestly I don't get why fans freak out over the spelling of names. I can at least understand wanting the wording and the rest of the translation accurate but does it really change your enjoyment or impression of a show even slightly if the spelling of names is slightly different?

I do like the fonts used in fansubs though. Not the karaoke or song translations (I'm indifferent to those) However, DVD subs just look so butt ugly and distract from the visual impression I get from the show. Just something from a slightly softer font and a color from a vaguely similar color range makes all the difference. I'd think that would be doable.

It's such a shame Genius Party isn't licensed here. It's really quite good overall.

GATSU wrote:

If the dialogue in Outlaw Star had been half as enjoyable as that it may have actually risen beyond the realm of a walking, generic sci-fi and anime cliche.
Fabe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
I saw the show. I saw the movie. I hated it.

Oh yeah because before Outlaw Star there was never a show about renegades/outlaws on the run on a space ship .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake%27s_7
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3