• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei GN 4

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
blurb wrote:
...people with early November birthdays whose parents got frisky at Christmas...

Methinks the blurb doesn't understand that humans gestate for only nine months, not ten and-a-half.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
Y'know, I really like Zetsubou-Sensei's simple art style... Is there a name for that?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Y'know, I really like Zetsubou-Sensei's simple art style... Is there a name for that?

Perhaps minimalist?

Definitely a subjective art style. Some people like it because the work is without waste and without distracting elements. Other think it looks kind of cheap. Neither opinion is necessarily wrong.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:21 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
blurb wrote:
...people with early November birthdays whose parents got frisky at Christmas...

Methinks the blurb doesn't understand that humans gestate for only nine months, not ten and-a-half.

Quote:
Childbirth usually occurs about 38 weeks after conception; i.e., approximately 40 weeks from the last normal menstrual period (LNMP) in humans. The World Health Organization defines normal term for delivery as between 37 weeks and 42 weeks

The doc always counts from the last cycle the gal had & gals are warned the baby can come any time in the month & one gal in my lamaz class went over her due date(which also happens). Mine was 2 weeks early.
It's not as definite as you're trying to make it.
And yeah, I thought of that during the chapter, but it adds to his persona that he's worked up about it.

I love the art. It reminds me of the old wood-block stuff. I never thought of it as cheap newspaper art because it';s so clean & sharp. Sensei does not live in a world of greys-it's all or nothing & the art supports this.
This, Excel & Gintama I make time to read at home on my bed so I can be un-interrupted. All 3 are text-dependant. Gintama takes awhile to get thru because there is usually so much dialogue per page while with Excel & this title I'm constantly reading the note, then read the story up to the note, then read the next note, etc. At least Excel gives page & frame (not that most of the pages are numbered...) Not knowing the joke doesn't really detract from the humor. The Marx Brothers are still funny even though some of their jokes referred to the times they lived in.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:19 am Reply with quote
I agree with all of your review Carlos, except for the rating for the art. It fits the overall point of view of this manga, it's either black or white, clean and to the point. The one thing I do is read this in sittings one chapter at a time. There are moments when I just need a break, especially when there's a ton of Japanese references that I need to read at the back of the book, exhausting Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop I tend to leave this as one of the last to read if I have a stack. It's definately one of a kind Smile
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:06 am Reply with quote
Sorry but I have to stand up for the art's sake too. It's never been a bad point for me either. It doesn't bother me (except where I was unable to tell one particular student from another in a certain scene but whatever) his style is what many people would call simple.

However, I have to admit that the bullet points of the current despair topic do tend to get a little hard to bear sometimes. I do need to occasionally look back in the glossary to catch the few references I don't get (usually of the specific Japanese people that are joked on).

But all in all, this manga isn't a waste of my time just because the humor is three years old. People still find stupid online memes funny and they've been using the same ones for years.

Last edited by belvadeer on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I usually don't like satire too much, but what makes ZETSUBOU SENSEI really work for me is it seems to have no agenda except to rant about EVERYTHING. I like the art too--with manga I tend to prefer simpler art styles--though I do have a slight problem with the sameyness of the character designs. I think if I didn't watch the anime first I would have had trouble following who's who.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
The art actually displays a very fine graphic design sense that you don't find in most manga. There's a lot of thought put into spotting blacks and pictorial composition.

The main complaint is that the characters lack visual variety.

But it doesn't distract from the fact that this a very design-heavy art style.
marzipan.dragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I love the art. Especially the simple variety of designs in Zetsubou-Sensei's kimonos.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
The art is the only thing doing it for me, honestly. Simply put, the only thing funny about this series is the fact that I have to flip to the back of the book after every panel just to understand what's going on. I like the character, but this series was obviously written for Japanese people only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
I like the character, but this series was obviously written for Japanese people only.

That's a bold statement.
If YOU can't "get" it, no one outside of Japan can?
Written for Japanese only?
Honestly, most manga is written pretty much for the immediate audience in Japan with no thought to how it will be received in other countries. That goes for Bleach, Naruto, all of them. It matters little to the magazines running the manga in Japan whether the title has legs outside their readership. They're looking to sell magazines
That goes for our entertainment, too, you know. It matters little how well the world receives The Simpsons or Supernatural. When enough viewers in the US stop watching those shows, they will go away.
omelette

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Have to agree with most posters about the art since I think it lends a lot to what the manga aims to do. The reviewer's numerous comments about the one-dimensionality of Nozomu and his students is a little weird, though.

I mean, isn't this manga a parody/gag series/satire? I don't know how funny it would be if the characters grew into, uh, well-adjusted individuals far different from the caricatures of certain stereotypes that they currently are. Which kinda means it'll be a show full of Nami Hitos (not that I would mind since I like her, but I like everyone's craziness too, so...) and... I don't know how funny that will be.

I don't know how effective it would be either since the entire manga relies on the premise of: common societal expectations >> Nozomu lamenting on common societal expectation >> class reacting to common societal expectation depending on what stereotype they fall into >> fun tiemz.

It's not really a slice-of-life story nor a character-driven story. It's not about how the characters grow by interacting with each other, either. It's a parody manga poking fun at things we accept as commonalities but are actually pretty weird and effed up if we look closer. So character development and/or an overarching storyarc isn't really needed.
norrinradd1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
I love the art.
momoiroceo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
the review kinda bummed me out for the same reasons. really?! a c+ for art?! UNFAIR.

i find it kind of aesthetically pleasing.

i'm not so into manga & comics, though, so the whole of "szs" is rather agreeable to me: a lot of text with clean&simple drawing. very well-stylized, too, i thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tripdragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
How can you Diss the Art???! It's one of it's great strengths. It's unique and gets right to the point. Reviewer failz. Go back to reading your years old bleach art.

BAH!! C- my a$$
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2