• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Schedules Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Films in June

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:11 am Reply with quote
About time these got announced. Nice to see them come over, even if they did hack out some of the good parts (particularly related to Four) and messed with the ending.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:11 am Reply with quote
Those movies were such letdowns.

Cutting out huge chunks of the story, mixing the new with old animation, a new ending that feels unnatural. I felt like it spit on my favorite Gundam series.

The new animation was pretty amazing, though.

I wonder if they'll keep the same Blue Water dub cast or recast it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:36 am Reply with quote
I didn't like them, but they did address some of the problems I had with the series (why certain people do certain things). They work a lot less well than the films of the original series and the ending is happy for happiness' sake. Double Zeta Gundam doesn't work with that ending!

I thought Bandai would never release them, though. Wasn't Zeta a flop?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:47 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Those movies were such letdowns.

Cutting out huge chunks of the story, mixing the new with old animation, a new ending that feels unnatural. I felt like it spit on my favorite Gundam series.

The new animation was pretty amazing, though.

I wonder if they'll keep the same Blue Water dub cast or recast it.

They're sub only.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:48 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
About time these got announced. Nice to see them come over, even if they did hack out some of the good parts (particularly related to Four) and messed with the ending.

Four is gone? Oh yeah baby. Now, to get rid of: Fa, Wong, Sarah, Rosamia and Reccoa. And, of course, Katz. As if I'd forget him. I've never cheered so loudly spoiler[when a character died as I did when Katz crashed into that effing asteroid. Not a humiliating enough end for my tastes, but at least he was denied the happy ending he so thoroughly did not deserve.]

But yeah, get rid of all those characters, and the Anime would get a bump of two, maybe three grades. So by my reckoning, it goes up to what, about a Weak or Not Really Good? Hmm, that's about right.
W-General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:51 am Reply with quote
F*** yeah!!!! So much love for UC in North America this year....first Unicorn, then this =D
captainbanana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:59 am Reply with quote
I agree with what someone else said earlier; Great animation style (If only they did UC in the same style...oh well), yet a really poorly done chop job of the original series (compared to the Gundam movie trilogy which bettered the series, one could argue. Cut out a lot of superfluous stuff anyway)

I'd rather have had a re-release of 0079 with Japanese audio, or Zeta on Blu-Ray, or a hundred other things out of Bandai, but I'll take what I can get.

(I no longer hold any hope of getting CCA or F91 on Blu-Ray in the US. I just realized that the Cowboy Bebop movie isn't even out on BR here in the US, so what chance does CCA have?)
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:25 am Reply with quote
Bandai also announced them as individual releases or a movie compilation package... all due out on the same date. See here for details.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:32 am Reply with quote
*subliminal messaging begin*
Deacon, please finish translating Beltorchika's Children for great justice
*subliminal messaging end*
RedTail

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:04 am Reply with quote
I only bothered with the first movie. Between being disappointed with that one and reading Gunota's updates on the other two movies, I had no real desire to see the entire trilogy. If I can find a good enough deal somewhere though, I'll probably pick it up for completion's sake.

Quote:
I'd rather have had a re-release of 0079 with Japanese audio, or Zeta on Blu-Ray, or a hundred other things out of Bandai, but I'll take what I can get.

I'd like that too.

Quote:
(I no longer hold any hope of getting CCA or F91 on Blu-Ray in the US. I just realized that the Cowboy Bebop movie isn't even out on BR here in the US, so what chance does CCA have?)

All of those are strictly BEI titles. I'm pretty sure every "Bandai" blu-ray released up 'til this point has been a new license (ie: BEI didn't already own the rights to it) released under the Honneamise line, which is really still just Bandai Visual minus distro.

When Bandai starts releasing Blu-rays themselves, I'm sure we'll see stuff like the Bebop movie and CCA.

Edit: My mistakes, GitS2 was their own title and a new one to boot. Still don't think there's been another one since though...

Last edited by RedTail on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:05 am Reply with quote
Zeta Gundam = best Gundam ever?
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:43 am Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
Quote:

All of those are strictly BEI titles. I'm pretty sure every "Bandai" blu-ray released up 'til this point has been a new license (ie: BEI didn't already own the rights to it) released under the Honneamise line, which is really still just Bandai Visual minus distro.

When Bandai starts releasing Blu-rays themselves, I'm sure we'll see stuff like the Bebop movie and CCA.

Edit: My mistakes, GitS2 was their own title and a new one to boot. Still don't think there's been another one since though...

Sword Of The Stranger, the Eureka Seven movie & [dub-only] Kurokami are also BEI titles which are also released on Blu-ray. Plus, the Cowboy Bebop movie is licensed by Sony Pictures so any blame for no Blu-ray should go directly to them and not Bandai.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
RedTail wrote:
Quote:

Sword Of The Stranger, the Eureka Seven movie & [dub-only] Kurokami are also BEI titles which are also released on Blu-ray. Plus, the Cowboy Bebop movie is licensed by Sony Pictures so any blame for no Blu-ray should go directly to them and not Bandai.

Yeah, I just meant that if something with wider market appeal like the Cowboy Bebop movie can't even make it out on Blu-Ray in the US, there is no chance of a more niche title making it.

Maybe it wasn't the best example to give, since CBB's lack of a release on BR here in the US is due to Sony seemingly not caring enough to do it, and not market factors, while Bandai's unwillingness to put any Gundam out is due primarily to them not thinking it would sell (not to mention the fear of reverse importation)
funny99man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

You need to watch the OVA's 8th MS team and Stardust Memory I would also say 0079 but I can see how people like Zeta more

With out Katz Zeta would have been much better of course if it was about Amuro Ray and not Kamille it could fight with the best of the Gundams. Just watch the first two episodes and tell me Kamille isn't at least slightly annoying.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

Definitely. A masterpiece in my estimation.

Which is why the movies are so disappointing, hacking out most of what made it great. Why they thought they could pare down fifty episodes of pretty much non-stop plot into three ninety minute movies is beyond me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4