• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Ranks as #7 Graphic Novel in U.S. Bookstores in November

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
The way people are buying the Walking Dead anything, you'd figure great stories are going out of style.

...Oh wait...

(But then again, it's not just TWD.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
The excellent TV series is definitely helping keeping the Walking Dead books up. Whodathunk that something as TV hokey as a zombie theme would captivate so many regular people's enthrallment..................

Also, as ICV2 put it:

• That makes six volumes of manga total, with only two in the top 10, a relatively weak showing for the category. But that’s to be expected in a month of holiday shopping; books like The Walking Dead and Building Stories are good gifts, while the latest volume of a manga series is usually something you buy for yourself, so it gets no boost from the holiday buying season.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
The way people are buying the Walking Dead anything, you'd figure great stories are going out of style.

...Oh wait...

(But then again, it's not just TWD.)

Hey, the show may be awful but the comics were okay until like issue 50 where it went to crap. The show is just a heavily watered down and poorly written adaption. Kinda sucks western comics don't ever get good /straight adaptions like anime does for manga. I wonder if the show has the balls to do what the comics did when I dropped them.. I can see the TV exec pooping his pants at the thought of ratings dropping after it though >_>
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Lol @ TWD being called awful. Rolling Eyes
kikiyo2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:

Why? It pretty much is. Crap based on crap usually ends up as... crap. I'm not sure the rest of the superhero fare outselling manga is any better though. Seriously, why do so many other Americans have such awful taste? Avengers? Superman? Surprised there's no Batman and Spiderman too. Building Stories? WTF is that?
lostrune

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
The show is just a heavily watered down and poorly written adaption. Kinda sucks western comics don't ever get good /straight adaptions like anime does for manga.

There's more money in dumbing franchises down for the mainstream here than there is respecting fans of the property Smile It's all about those dollar signs. People would rather associate Spider-Man with Tobey McGuire and Andrew Garfield than Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. Wink

kikiyo2 wrote:
Why? It pretty much is. Crap based on crap usually ends up as... crap. I'm not sure the rest of the superhero fare outselling manga is any better though. Seriously, why do so many other Americans have such awful taste? Avengers? Superman? Surprised there's no Batman and Spiderman too. Building Stories? WTF is that?

Batman and Spider-Man are so passé. Laughing

Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:

Season 1 is pretty annoying. I didn't bother to continue after that. I wonder if anyone can reason why they watch it besides "ZOMBIES!"
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit shocked to hear about the MLP news. Didn't think it would do so well. Nice to have more variety.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Batman and Spider-Man are so passé.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or to be afraid..

Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
MasterKingJC wrote:

Season 1 is pretty annoying. I didn't bother to continue after that. I wonder if anyone can reason why they watch it besides "ZOMBIES!"

Zombies/Vampires are the 'in thing' in Hollywood right now. Even Call of Duty has zombies. Movies and video games have had lots of works filled with them the past couple years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1