• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Delays The Garden of Sinners DVD Box

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"to ensure the highest quality of the product."

Coming from Aniplex, that's so hilarious it's not even funny.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
Based on what? Your hatred of their pricing scheme?
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
Maybe they're dubbing it?

Or--infinitely more probable--they've run into production issues with the disc.
PrecisionCrab

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
Now do you see why I resorted to insults in that other thread, Keonyn? Do you? Even a crustacean as precise as myself has limits of patience.

Polycell wrote:
Based on what? Your hatred of their pricing scheme?

No, you [insults removed], it's not because of my "hatred of their pricing scheme." It's because of my hatred of the fact that almost all of their stuff is produced in laughably bullsh*t quality. To put it in a way you'd understand, the quality of their product is insanely disproportional to the price they're asking.

They treat digipaks like some deluxe form of packaging. Do you know it costs 25 cents less to order digipaks in bulk than it does practically every other form of DVD and blu-ray disc packaging? To bluntly put it, they're cheap and they break easily. ...And for them, it's a point of pride - enough to list the cheap ass packaging as a selling point. That's just one reason to criticize them - nay, more like laugh at them.

How about the extras? What are those glorious extras that warrant such a high premium? Why, that'd be....post cards. And a $10 lunch box... And, oh, maybe a 5-page "exclusive artbook."

That's why I laugh at this delay. Their delaying to "ensure maximum quality" is no different than a man waiting for a laxative to kick in before he takes a dump as to avoid painful constipation. He's still gonna be at the crapper regardless.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
This is exciting for me because I didn't even realize they were coming out with a DVD release for this one. I still haven't watched it but I plan to and, if I like it, it would be nice to have the option to buy it.

And the price isn't even that crazy, for AoA. It comes to about $30 per movie which is about standard for a new release these days. Definitely worth considering.
Mirri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing they realized it's not a particularly smart idea to put their two largest premium releases of the second half of the year on the same day, and before the true beginning of the holiday season, at that...

Also, to the above, that reasoning still sounds like a pricing issue to me.

Also, I'm curious, source on the digipak vs. every other DVD case bulk pricing?

edit: Also, after checking, I think the number "5" for pages on the artbooks is kind of a disgusting exaggeration. The Madoka booklets are all about 25 pages and include fully translated character descriptions, episode summaries, and exclusive interviews with cast and crew. I haven't even taken a close look at the ROD TV booklet, but it's 50 pages and it's actually bound instead of just folded and stapled like the Madoka booklets.

And for the record, I've never broken a digipak, ever. And people tell me that I am rough on my possessions.

Last edited by Mirri on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
It comes to about $30 per movie which is about standard for a new release these days. Definitely worth considering.

Standard movies are 2 hours long (maybe 1 1/2 for ones aimed at a younger audience). These are 48, 58, 56, 50, 115, 59, 61, 121, and 35. Also, I don't know where you live, but here, DVD releases of giant Hollywood blockbusters don't go over $20. Given that all but 2 of these are half that length, I wouldn't pay more than $100, before discount.

They're not "movies", they're theatrically-released OAVs.
Mirri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:
It comes to about $30 per movie which is about standard for a new release these days. Definitely worth considering.

Standard movies are 2 hours long (maybe 1 1/2 for ones aimed at a younger audience). These are 48, 58, 56, 50, 115, 59, 61, 121, and 35. Also, I don't know where you live, but here, DVD releases of giant Hollywood blockbusters don't go over $20. Given that all but 2 of these are half that length, I wouldn't pay more than $100, before discount.

They're not "movies", they're theatrically-released OAVs.

DVD releases of Hollywood blockbusters that go for $20ish don't come in a chipboard art box with "art cards"/"post cards" or whatever (these are larger than greeting cards, from the photos that Aniplex has shown) and include an art booklet.

...they usually just have a bunch of ads stuffed in them.

Hollywood blockbusters also (the vast majority of the time) make their money in the theater, not off the home video release. The home video release is gravy for them (though there are exceptions.) I think the important thing to note is that even with the exceptions, the intention was to make the money at the theaters and not from the home video release.

edit:

Also, not relevant to the quote above at all, but:

Can anyone find me an authorized retailer that's selling this for $189.98?

It's the MSRP but I've never seen anyone other than resellers selling AoA products at or above MSRP. Is it limited to just the few brick and mortar stores that sell AoA products?
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
You know, I thought for sure people would start complaining about getting DVDs as laughable for something of the "highest quality product" and not the cheap cardboard packaging itself... Laughing

Also, Sentai Filmworks released Towa-no Quon, which are 6 50-min theatrical released movies in one set for 40 dollars, on both DVD and BD with a dub, just sayin'...

Last edited by Kazemon15 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, whatever the reason, this actually makes me VERY happy! I knew I had to have it, but wasn't quite sure how I could fit it into my budget... As long as I can get it at some point, I'm happy, and don't mind waiting Smile
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Well, whatever the reason, this actually makes me VERY happy! I knew I had to have it, but wasn't quite sure how I could fit it into my budget... As long as I can get it at some point, I'm happy, and don't mind waiting Smile

Couldn't agree more, fantastic news, now i dont have to choose!!
Mirri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

Couldn't agree more, fantastic news, now i don't have to choose!!

It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
HA HA!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Also, Sentai Filmworks released Towa-no Quon, which are 6 50-min theatrical released movies in one set for 40 dollars, on both DVD and BD with a dub, just sayin'...

And they also released Mardock Scramble: First Compression, an hour or so film that is just one of a series of films for $40 MSRP on BD and $30 MSRP on DVD. Not all that different I'd say other than the dub.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/K-vu9lFNZPYUI-rX=v/browse/item/93944/4/0/0
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/K-vu9lFNZPYUI-rX=v/browse/item/93949/4/0/0

I'm not in favor or against anything in this thread, other than people who cherry pick their arguments instead of showing both sides. Of course Sentai can sell Towa no Quon for cheap with it was a colossal dud in terms of BD/DVD sales.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
OBAMA DELAYED GARDEN OF SINNERS TO BUY VOTES AND HIDE A LOST CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT MAKING A TURKEY THE REAL PRESIDENT!

Their pricing scheme still needs to go. We are not the Japanese fanbase--why make us pay an arm and a leg for our anime?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3