• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: North American Anime, Manga Releases September 19-25

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
This isn't everything, is it? I know for sure the Hetalia manga volume 1 releases from Tokyopop on 9/21.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Joy. Apart from Xam'd, I can use this month's budget to catch up on purchasing older releases.
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I bought House of Five Leaves and the X'amd Bluray. DMP's releases are all screwy. I'm pretty sure that Treasure isn't out yet.
The Black Stones

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
You know, if you guys plan on posting releases, you should try to make sure they're correct. Slayers on Blu-Ray isn't even out till October. A quick trip to Rightstuf could have easily told you that.

Posting a weekly release list is a good idea, but it's no good if your info is wrong.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
The Black Stones wrote:
You know, if you guys plan on posting releases, you should try to make sure they're correct. Slayers on Blu-Ray isn't even out till October. A quick trip to Rightstuf could have easily told you that.

Posting a weekly release list is a good idea, but it's no good if your info is wrong.

Funimation just updated their blog a couple hours ago saying the date was pushed back. Geez -_-

Link: http://blog.funimation.com/2010/09/some-conspiracies-are-more-than-theories/
The Black Stones

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:

Funimation just updated their blog a couple hours ago saying the date was pushed back. Geez -_-

Link: http://blog.funimation.com/2010/09/some-conspiracies-are-more-than-theories/

Anime on DVD had thier weekly release thread posted on Sunday without these titles, and I KNOW Rightstuf has had that October listing for about a week now.

If you get your release date information from Funimation's blog, you're doing it wrong.

Edit: Heck, it even mentions that Eden of the East got delayed and that's been known for 2 weeks already.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
House of Five Leaves is here. Bokurano and Rocket Girls are reserved for my order.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
DarkCyradis wrote:
This isn't everything, is it? I know for sure the Hetalia manga volume 1 releases from Tokyopop on 9/21.

Tokyopop's front page still has the 9/21 date, but their official page for Hetalia currently lists the book's release date as 10/12.
The Black Stones

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
Honestly, manga is a PAIN to try and list official releases for. Things get delayed and moved constantly. I believe last weeks release list included Berserk but it's not out until the end of September.

I found that Chapters.ca is very up to date on everything if you want to verify releases. They were the first ones that had Suzuka's Omnibus listing correct when it's release debacle happened. Sometimes though they forget to delete old listings and you see doubles though. haha.

With anime. Anime on DVDMania forums posts a release listing every Sunday, that I find, is incredibly accurate, they've been wrong once or twice. But use that and cross check with another site like Rightstuf for example, and you'll usually have everything right.
LKK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote
giapet wrote:
DarkCyradis wrote:

Tokyopop's front page still has the 9/21 date, but their official page for Hetalia currently lists the book's release date as 10/12.

However, in the real world, neither date is correct. I saw Hetalia on the bookshelf at Borders last Thursday evening. (Sept. 16)
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:24 am Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
giapet wrote:
DarkCyradis wrote:

However, in the real world, neither date is correct. I saw Hetalia on the bookshelf at Borders last Thursday evening. (Sept. 16)

Now, THAT depends on your definition of "release date." With manga, many bookstores put it out on the shelves as soon as they get it rather than on its release date. Certainly we can't call every bookstore around the continent to figure out what date it will first be put on any shelf. Wink Even if we could, that it shows up early in my Borders doesn't mean it will at any other store, or even at other Borders stores, so if I said its release date was 9/21 because my store had it but its real release date was 9/28, people might go to stores looking for it and not find it!

So we try to find the "official" date by which all stores who are going to order it will have it available. But yes, even that's difficult. Some publishers keep up their websites and are tight with their release dates, others don't and aren't.

Anime is USUALLY more firm, but as you can see, not always! In the case of Slayers, for example, Amazon had it listed for this week, Right Stuf didn't. Now, when the reverse happens I trust Right Stuf because they list things when they actually get them in stock, whereas Amazon lists them sort of when they theoretically WILL have access to them. But every once in a while Right Stuf gets something late, too; so I took the Amazon listing and checked my copy of Funimation's September sales book, which also listed a 9/21 release date for Slayers Revolution/Evolution-R on Blu-Ray, so I put them on the list.

...Which was written, but perhaps not posted, before Funi's blog post went up, by the way Smile

So, there you go. Mistakes are made. We all do our best not to make them, and to correct them when we do Smile[/img]
Redlinks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
This can't be everything... Ah well, looking forward to getting my copies of DBKai part 2 and DBox #4.
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I was actually just watching the Slayers Blu-Rays with my friend. He got them a couple days ago from RightStuf, most likely because of their relationship with Funimation.

But in the real world, it's still about another month before it's seen elsewhere I suppose. I wonder why the push back though...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Already picked up Hetalia Vol. 1 (even though it's not listed). Already have previous versions of Ghost Hunt and Samurai 7. Xam'd, Bokurano, and House of Five Leaves will be eventual purchases. Everything else is a pass.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1