• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why hasn't ANN covered Code Geass in any reviews?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerv1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
I know it is fairly late for me to be asking this, but I just found it somewhat odd that ANN never really took the time to fully review the Code Geass DVD releases? I know they did cover volume 1 of season 1, but I really hoped to see what the reviewers felt of season 1 and I really wanted to read about their possible opinions as to why R2 was utter crap(I stayed away from the reviews on Mania.com as I felt they were fairly biased and uninformative. Why would a poorly told show with plot devices pulled out of someone's a$$ every minute possibly be qualified as one of the best ever made?) It just felt weird that ANN would completely skip over reviewing one of the more "popular" series that came out in recent years. I thought there would be extensive coverage/reviews as many other popular anime have had. Any ideas why?

Last edited by Nerv1 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
poilk92

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
I liked R2. More stratagem and logistics less OMG THE CAT STOLED MINE MASK
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
I liked R2. More stratagem and logistics less OMG THE CAT STOLED MINE MASK

PersonallyI loved R2's ending...the rest of it was on and off. The writers just contradicted themselves too much from the first season...
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
(I stayed away from the reviews on Mania.com as I felt they were fairly biased and uninformative. Why would a poorly told show with plot devices pulled out of someone's a$$ every minute possibly be qualified as one of the best ever made?) ?

...because they liked it? I mean, Beveridge panned Spirited Away, so I wouldn't exactly call him "biased".
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:26 am Reply with quote
Haha I thought the cat mask thing was great. Very funny and still tied into the story.
Skylark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:31 am Reply with quote
The reviewer doesn't reflect this good man's exact opinion back at him and thus is biased and worthless.

Damn but I'm sick of seeing this kind of thing. Why do you need someone else to reaffirm your already set-in-stone beliefs? Everyone's review is going to be biased and subjective because a review is that; one's personal reflection on a viewed show. What do you expect, that reviewers are paid to gift the world with nuggets of knowledge and objective wisdom? Reviewers are just dudes that like anime and like writing about it. Yes, some people like Code Geass R2. Pull your head in.

This is basically why I don't read reviews. I'm not going to change my opinion based on what I read, it's only going to make me go "What a tosspot, how could he like/hate that" or "Wow someone agrees with me for once, it is a great/awful show isn't it". If all you're going to do after reading a review is lambaste the writer for not agreeing with you and put crap on them on other forums, what is the point in reading? Yet you're asking for reviews here because another reviewer who didn't agree with rates a series highly? To what; ask for an unbiased opinion? .. lol.

To your original phrasing, though;

Quote:
Why would a poorly told show with plot devices pulled out of someone's a$$ every minute possibly be qualified as one of the best ever made?

Maybe if you actually want to know the answer to that question, rather than "staying away" from Mania.com you should go there to find out? In case you hadn't noticed, R2 is rated quite highly here as well. I wasn't a massive fan, as there were some definite leaps in logic around the middle of the 2nd season, however the finale was in my opinion one of the best of all time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 am Reply with quote
I haven't finished R2, but the 17 or so episodes that I did see were so inconsistent that I couldn't see how this was supposed to be genuinely good. You could tell the producers didn't know what direction the show wanted to take.

However, ANN probably didn't review it because Bandai kept delaying the releases over and over. They probably didn't send ANN any copies or Carl stop caring about picking up the series (which would be understandable given the amount of delays it got).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
I know it is fairly late for me to be asking this, but I just found it somewhat odd that ANN never really took the time to fully review the Code Geass DVD releases? I know they did cover volume 1 of season 1, but I really hoped to see what the reviewers felt of season 1 and I really wanted to read about their possible opinions as to why R2 was utter crap.

So, while the title asks why there aren't ANY reviews, you admit there was one and apparently missed that there was also one for the third and final part...
animenewsnetwork.com/review/code-geass/lelouch-of-the-rebellion/dvd-part-3

so, that's 2/3 of the first season reviewed, including the ending, which is probably a good summation.

No R2? see, that might be a good question- maybe one to put in the feedback section?... maybe because of the delays, maybe they felt it was over-exposed already- why are you asking us?
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
I figured that ANN never received screeners for the second half of Code Geass, I thought that the DVDs were delayed and that may have been contributed as well. It is a bit odd but even ANN can't cover everything that's come out in the past few years and unless a complete box set of the second season comes out soon I doubt they'll get to it.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I figured that ANN never received screeners for the second half of Code Geass. . .

This was exactly the situation (Bandai has never been reliable at doing this), and none of us reviewers were big enough fans to go out and purchase the DVDs ourselves. If Bandai puts out a summative box set for Season 2 at some point then I'd be willing to take a crack at that, but they have made no announcements to that effect so far.

And yes, this does more properly belong in the Feedback forum, so I'm moving it there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Why would a poorly told show with plot devices pulled out of someone's a$$ every minute possibly be qualified as one of the best ever made?)

Because fans of it are so biased over thinking the show is the greatest thing since sliced bread because its the latest popular thing that they give it high scores across the board and don't rate it based on quality which I admit has to be one of the bigger flaws of ANN's scoring system. There's no basis in which to ask why said person gives said anime a high or low score thus it's quite easy to judge more on popularity instead of quality. I've even noticed folks giving high scores to movies that have yet to be released in a video format or aren't even in theaters yet. For example, the third Rebuild of Evangelion movie is currently ranked at #304 on ANN's Best Rated list even though said movie hasn't even been released in Japanese theaters yet.
poilk92

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
For example, the third Rebuild of Evangelion movie is currently ranked at #304 on ANN's Best Rated list even though said movie hasn't even been released in Japanese theaters yet.

I'm pretty sure that represents the vast minority of voters here. There is no incentive to vote with popular opinion so I kind of think this is a cooked up complaint. Do you think these people up-vote stuff they didn't like? Why would they do that? To be popular? Yeah that seems a little far fetched. See the real reason is because, and I know its hard to believe, NOT EVERYONE AGREES WITH YOU!
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
I'm not going to change my opinion based on what I read, it's only going to make me go "What a tosspot, how could he like/hate that" or "Wow someone agrees with me for once, it is a great/awful show isn't it".

I try to avoid doing this as it's better to focus on elements within the write-up rather than the overall opinion. Without understanding, it's pretty futile to argue against a letter grade or shelf ranking.

If I find something confusing, or way over the top, then I challenge the viewpoint.

One of my major pet peeves is reading a review using external sources in order to chastise the series. An example is reading a review targeting the disliked game line as a reason to boost the "It's awful" opinion on the series. I despise this tactic and it's a poor excuse to enforce a bad review which was already decided before the first word was typed.

Another is typecasting the reader. I don't want to use specifics here, but let's just say not everyone who watches anime is a pervert, thief, and/or maladjusted teenager afraid of socializing.

A review really shines when there's a positive or two found within a series which ultimately gets a bad final judgment for unrelated issues making the positives difficult to carry the series.

One of these days, I plan on getting off my rear and updating My Anime to include my own reviews so people can disagree with them as well.
Twisted Evil

As for the topic, this isn't uncommon, especially with older series. All I can suggest is put the series title in Google and see what pops up as far as opinions go.
There will be a necessary wading through all the links trying to sell you stuff, but around page 3, the opinions can be easily found.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
poilk92 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that represents the vast minority of voters here.

All the better to bar voting on opinions of a title than allowing voting while said title's not available yet to the public or in the case of TV titles, not yet complete. And what could be considered a "minority" can significantly drive up the ranking of a title that may not deserve it.

Quote:
Do you think these people up-vote stuff they didn't like? Why would they do that? To be popular? Yeah that seems a little far fetched.

It's not farfetched to believe that a small group of fans rally together to give out perfect scores just to boost the ranking of the series thanks to personal bias.

Quote:
See the real reason is because, and I know its hard to believe, NOT EVERYONE AGREES WITH YOU!

And what sort of factual basis could there be to decide how people judge a series besides allowing folks to give out a number? Because what you find to have a storyline of "strategm and logistics", I found to have a sloppily put together mess of plot twists and deus ex machina that threw logic out the window just to shock and awe viewers of the series.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Because what you find to have a storyline of "strategm and logistics", I found to have a sloppily put together mess of plot twists and deus ex machina that threw logic out the window just to shock and awe viewers of the series.

To be fair, the first series is often guilty of those very same things. The big difference between the two is that the first series was awesome, and the second season was hashed up and often not entertaining at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2