• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Touhou Project Dōjinshi Event Received Direct Threat Letter

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
Copycat?

The whole ordeal with threats to Kuroko's Basketball-related events, and how they were handled, makes that all too likely. It's almost a small wonder it hasn't snowballed any further considering things...

Safety should always be considered, but just giving in to these threats will only make matters worse in the long run.
Etrien

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
Copycat was my first guess.

It's frustrating and disappointing that this sort of thing has been allowed to go on for so long, but precisely because of that, this is, perhaps, a mixed blessing: it's proving just how faulty the system can be and how much they need to step up their game if they're actually going to serve their purpose in the modern world.

Apparently the culprit to those recent PC virus crimes even confessed that his(?) entire purpose was to show how inept the police were at handling this sort of thing.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Safety should always be considered, but just giving in to these threats will only make matters worse in the long run.

Why?

Money can be replaced. People cannot. Why is assuming that every threat is credible going to make matters worse than doing the opposite?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

Why?

Money can be replaced. People cannot. Why is assuming that every threat is credible going to make matters worse than doing the opposite?

Perhaps you should read the quote again.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
I am with Blanchimont on this one. Canceling these events is going to give more power to these terrorists. I use this term because it is not fair for fans (and the organizers) to be subjected to fear by the idiots sending the threats.

Thankfully, no one has gotten hurt. But I think the authorities need to come up with an strategy to capture the people sending the threat letters. In my opinion, the events should go as planned.
kadian1364

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

Thanks for articulating a position worth meditating on. This is a bad response because it sets a precedent that community organizations and events can and should be stopped because someone disagrees with them. In this case, it may just be anime/manga doujinshi, but it can be any artistic or political exhibit that faces the threat of cancellation because someone can send a threat letter. I would have said that was unlikely a few months ago, but seeing the trend of organizers' responses makes me think otherwise. This effectively becomes a form of tyrannical censorship.

Think of the people that spent their precious time and creative mental energy to make these doujinshi, and have it all be for naught because one person, for whatever reason, was upset enough to send a threatening letter. It's not fair to these, so far, thousands of enthusiasts who've been anticipating these events to have them cancelled at the drop of a word.

If they were really serious about taking these threats as legitimate, these events could be delayed until the police could catch the culprits and ensure the safety of the participants. However, they clearly haven't been effective investigators if they can't catch some dude (or dudes) sending letters through the post. They seem to be taking the easiest way out in the short term, continuing to allow individual threats to be effective censorship, without regard for the harmful implications of such a policy in a democratic society in the long term.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Well it good there not canceling this time not giving in to them it less power to them and lets them draw them out to get these idiots who are doing this
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

Why?

Large gatherings of people [sporting events, conventions, subways, malls, churches, schools, theaters] will always be targets, regardless of whether a warning has been sent in advance. That's generally why these places have some form of security [whether that's cameras, armed guards, metal detectors, locked doors, or whatever]. If every public event was cancelled because of the possibility of some sort of act of violence, then there probably wouldn't be any public events at all.

That doesn't mean that the police shouldn't take this seriously, the organizers may even want to consider additional security, and there may even be instances where the event SHOULD be cancelled. Cancelling the event should not be the first response, it should be the last resort.
dan9999

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Do not worry people, the police is HARD AT WORK! Meanwhile a japanese citizen is arrested for merely spreading the love for anime and manga:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-01-12/man-arrested-for-uploading-anime-songs-manga-via-share

Its good to know the police is SO CONCERNED with this terrible crimes and are so efficient at catching so scary criminal, surely japanese society is safer today .... SURELY!!
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Don't let the fact that the copyright enforcement division of the police isn't there to catch terrorists slow down your usual nonsensical raving.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
copycat and Her we [expletive] go again, now they're just bending over for any nut bar that threatens an event for BS reasons
Nemo of Mentis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
As stated in the article, the reason given was not that the organizers' were worried about the attendees. They were perfectly willing to tighten security and take the risk if the participants were. They said they cancelled it because any attack on the event would also affect other nearby facilities, including a bowling alley. Ethically, you can make a distinction.

I'm unsure what the law is in Japan, but I'm pretty sure that making threats like that is grounds for arrest. I'd be surprised if this weren't being investigated.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Copycat?

The whole ordeal with threats to Kuroko's Basketball-related events, and how they were handled, makes that all too likely. It's almost a small wonder it hasn't snowballed any further considering things...

I am sure the police and federal agencies are applying all their forensic capability to tracking down this coward (or these cowards) and will apprehend them in due time. I just don't understand why anyone would want such a thing canceled, unless they were either a begrudged contractor, an equally begrudged fan, or just a total lunatic. The first two at least provide a fixed pool of suspects. It's like PETA going after donkey baseball. Pfeh! Crazy.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:55 am Reply with quote
Now event organizers will have to pick their venues more carefully.
DTJB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's because I've been up really late, but my brain hurts as the words "publicity stunt" make their presence known to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2