• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Online Manga in English

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeloot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quote
I was going to download the first issue until I saw it was a .exe file.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:03 am Reply with quote
It's probably my computer but it stops downloading half way through it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
genman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:08 am Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
I was going to download the first issue until I saw it was a .exe file.

Couldn't they make it a protected .pdf or something? I know they don't trust people to not distribute the .pdf but sophisticated hackers will break the protection and distribute the files anyway.

They end up annoying Mac and (the few) Linux users by doing this. (Well, for what it's worth, I got it to work okay on Linux using "wine".)

There should be a better way to distribute protected images in a cross-platform way...

But one nice thing is they include music.

The sound effects aren't translated.
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:33 am Reply with quote
Kind of interesting that Gravitation is offered. One would think that part of the purpose of the Genzo site is to drum up interest in the publisher's titles, which would inevitably lead to foreign licenses, but Gravitation is already available to English-speaking readers through Tokyopop. Unless Genzo actually thinks it will turn a decent profit by publishing its translated manga solely online...
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I really like this idea! It's convenient (for me) to dload and very easy and convenient to read with good controls. Also, at only 210 for five chapters, it's MUCH cheaper than buying English anthos and tanks stateside.

I hope companies in the states do something like this. TP already has a Manga Player for previews; perhaps they can sell books this way. All in all, t'was very cool.
ninjacurby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Special Task Force, The Battleship YUMIHARI was AWESOME. Easily the best thing in the magazine.

Bushido and Under the Rose were cool. I found Ukigumo Momojinden to be pretty boring (but it does have nice art) and I skipped Gravitation.

I wish you could zoom up on the ENTIRE page, though. I wish the program worked more like Comic Display Sad

Overall, it was pretty cool.
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:43 pm Reply with quote
The annoying thing about the DL is that it doesn't say how long it'll be untill I finish. Knowing my luck, my laptop will lose it's connection right at the end. -_- Cheap though, thats some really cheap manga.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Now if only Jump would do this. . .
Treeloot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I just downloaded the "client" or whatever and is the quality as bad as the cover image?

Personally I think this is an awesome idea. Tons of people download manga, and I think plenty would pay to download it too.
Karala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:34 am Reply with quote
RabbitRevolution wrote:
Kind of interesting that Gravitation is offered. One would think that part of the purpose of the Genzo site is to drum up interest in the publisher's titles, which would inevitably lead to foreign licenses, but Gravitation is already available to English-speaking readers through Tokyopop. Unless Genzo actually thinks it will turn a decent profit by publishing its translated manga solely online...

The Gravitation manga they have is the continuation of where the 12th volume leaves off Smile The mangaka took a break from Gravitation for a few years, but recently (in the last few months) has started working on the manga again.

The only thing I'm interested in is if this means all the titles will not come out in an English paperback book version, that's what I dislike from the idea.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:46 am Reply with quote
ninjacurby wrote:
Special Task Force, The Battleship YUMIHARI was AWESOME. Easily the best thing in the magazine.

Hitoshi Tomizawa is awesome. I'm glad to hear his new title is worth reading.

Anyway, I kinda wish Gentousha Made Comic BIRZ availavle in English too. I like their titles in that more on average than any other compilation magazine.
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
Karala wrote:

The Gravitation manga they have is the continuation of where the 12th volume leaves off Smile The mangaka took a break from Gravitation for a few years, but recently (in the last few months) has started working on the manga again.

The only thing I'm interested in is if this means all the titles will not come out in an English paperback book version, that's what I dislike from the idea.

Oops Embarassed , didn't realize this until I read the ANN update about the new Gravitation series yesterday. I hadn't heard that the mangaka was continuing Gravitation, but that's awesome. Still, I would have assumed that Tokyopop would lisence the new series as well, considering that the original has been selling decently for them, and that Genzo would have no need to promote it. Like many others, it worries me that an English print version might never be available.
Tivome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Karala wrote:

I would think that if the anthology version generated enough online reader interest and feed-back, it would make it much easier to be published in English.

In fact we'll be just like the Japanese... read the weekly/monthly chapters via anthologies, and buy the tanks when it comes out. No need to worry about if a certain anthology can get distribution... web is all u need. I hope all manga anthologies not yet published in the US would start doing this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1