• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japan's Video Game Rankings, February 4-10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
No surprise at Dragon Quest at #1.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm amused that the PS3 continues to outsell the much newer Wii U. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next generation Nintendo decides to focus solely on the handheld market.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
We should save the "Nintendo is dead" stuff until at least a year after launch, not less than 3 months. The first year for a console is always slow since it has so few games. Though the WiiU has already outsold what the PS3 and 360 did back during their first three months for what it's worth.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
We should save the "Nintendo is dead" stuff until at least a year after launch, not less than 3 months. The first year for a console is always slow since it has so few games. Though the WiiU has already outsold what the PS3 and 360 did back during their first three months for what it's worth.

WiiU first 3 months includes sales in NA, EU, Japan and Australia.

PS3 first 3 months includes sales in NA and Japan only.

360 first 3 months includes sales in NA, Japan and EU.

So WiiU outselling PS3 when first 3 months aligned is not surprising.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo isn't dead at all. They're a continuously profitable money-making machine. It's just that they have a huge handheld gaming market that pretty much nobody can match them in. I think it would be wise to make that their focus is what I'm saying. Good to hear that there is much more consumer spending now than there was in the mid 2000s though.
Nico87

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Nintendo isn't dead at all. They're a continuously profitable money-making machine. It's just that they have a huge handheld gaming market that pretty much nobody can match them in. I think it would be wise to make that their focus is what I'm saying. Good to hear that there is much more consumer spending now than there was in the mid 2000s though.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/04/nintendo_posts_first_annual_loss_in_30_years !

Not that they're not making big bucks from the 3DS though.
Thhyon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Nico87 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/04/nintendo_posts_first_annual_loss_in_30_years !

Not that they're not making big bucks from the 3DS though.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=153713

Comparison
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=154143
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:38 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

As games designed for phones and tablets get better and better, handheld gaming systems like the Nintendo 3DS or Sony's PlayStation Vita will disappear entirely.

Yeah, I don't buy this "professional analysis". Those systems, Nintendos handheld especially, will never go away since they are massive in Japan. 3DS has already outsold PS3 in Japan after like a year and a half.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

As games designed for phones and tablets get better and better, handheld gaming systems like the Nintendo 3DS or Sony's PlayStation Vita will disappear entirely.

Yeah, I don't buy this "professional analysis". Those systems, Nintendos handheld especially, will never go away since they are massive in Japan. 3DS has already outsold PS3 in Japan after like a year and a half.

look at Nintendo's stock. Look at their profits. You will know why.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1