• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hayate the Combat Butler! Cuties (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote

Hayate the Combat Butler! Cuties (TV)

Genres: comedy, romance

Plot Summary: (Fourth season of Hayate no Gotoku!)
----------------------------------

Episode 1
Pretty cute series so far! I am glad that spoiler[Hinagiku] gets more screen time in the first episode because she's my favorite character. Poor her though lolspoiler[, she seems to look a bit tired in the morning ;.;]

More than that though, I think spoiler[Nagi is a bit sick]. In the first episode,spoiler[ she's sick]! Wow. Also, I see a new character. I think it's spoiler[Athena]?! She looks a bit different than what I had thought. Anyways, not too shabby for a start so far imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mad mac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting much, but it's solid. There's a nod to keeping it set after the third season, but I can tell you it's actually a mix of random chapters from the manga.

There's a few changes here and there to include as many characters as possible, which is fine. All in all, not bad. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Eh, it was cute. Watching this first eppie reminded me of how much I wish I owned the first season on DVD. And how much I wish someone would re-release it. And then release the second season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Suppose I should look at the confusing bits first. This is the fourth season, but for some reason Hayate, Nagi and Maria are living in the place they were when she lost her fortune. This could be alright if we considered it as being set before season 3, but Ruhka specifically made an appearance and mentioned her Vegas concert, which was the finale of Cant Take My Eyes Off You. And I noticed that they seem to be living with a spoiler[loli Athena] for some reason (spoiler[Hayate's ex-girlfriend]), I bought volume 21 a while back and she looked much more mature, I guess some event happens that must explain it, but I am confused.

But the episode was not too bad, it started off with a cat with a Mohawk steal from Hayate for one. And watching him fall apart with increasing hurdles like taking on world eating monsters is funny. And all the other characters too. Although of that I found the bit where he destroyed the PSP the most funny, and it all ended up being sweet at the end. Kind of made me wonder if they might go for a lighter tone this season instead the sort of high tension that came from the watch and Ruri in last season.

I found some of the Monster Hunter bits interesting, I recently got into playing the version that was made for the 3DS.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Maybe its the mood I'm in, but I just caught the first episode and my impression is there is something very anemic about this season. The humor is nothing but sadistic abuse and stressing of Hayate and not very creative at that. It made me tired just to watch.

The artwork in this franchise has never been its strong point but I was impressed with the improvements they made in the last season (the one that ends up in Las Vegas) but that seems to be all gone now.

Usually these things improve in the first 3-4 episodes so I'll hang on to see if it does.
Ghost10516

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I enjoyed this episode, but I believe they left out a WHOLE LOT of info. Why was Athena a loli? Why are they all living in an apartment together?

Besides that, this captured some of the hilarity it had in the first season of Hayate. Definitely laughed at the part during the test when Katsura was annoying the hell out of Hayate. That was gold.

Opening was pretty good, and the preview was kind of cute. Looking forward to more.
Clarste

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
This series seems to actually make more sense as a stand-alone introduction than as a sequel, because the more you know about the characters the more questions you'll have about their new situation. Unless you've read the manga of course.

Therefore, looked at as an introduction, I think it does a decent job. It shows off a wide range of characters and their basic quirks, and the storyline used is perhaps the most basic and straightforward indicator of the style of comedy that this show is known for. That is, increasingly absurd escalation of ordinary problems.
mad mac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Personally, I enjoyed this episode, but I believe they left out a WHOLE LOT of info. Why was Athena a loli? Why are they all living in an apartment together?

Basically, you're looking at 200+ chapters of backstory. The manga has been going for 9 years in Japan and Season 2 covered up to like year three. Manglobe just can't be bothered going back that far.

To give you the short answer, Nagi started renting out an apartment that belonged to her mother because she lost (gave up) her inheritance and needed the food money, and a bunch of people moved in for various reasons. The manga has been set in the Violet Mansion for around three years already.

Athena is little because stuff happened and she lost her powers, and apparently she needs magic like most girls need milk. Don't ask me, it's not that well explained. They might go into her backstory a bit in her focus episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote
mad mac wrote:
Athena is little because stuff happened and she lost her powers, and apparently she needs magic like most girls need milk. Don't ask me, it's not that well explained. They might go into her backstory a bit in her focus episode.

I wonder what would happen if he announced her to others as spoiler[his ex], that would be great for his reputation: Not only is he a girl faced boy in debt who has incredibly poor luck, but he also spoiler[dated the little girl who he kissed and even slept in the same bed with.]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
so is this supposed to take place before before Can't Take My Eyes off You?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Nope. As DP already pointed out in his post, that blue haired singer made an appearance and referenced her Las Vegas show, so this series has to take place after Can't Take My Eyes Off You. Besides, I'm pretty sure Nagi was still in her original mansion for that show, although that could be some misinformation supplied by my generally pisspoor memory.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
The other series (Can't Take My Eyes or whatever) explicitly takes place after this because in the manga (which is ahead of this new series) one of the characters used the existence of "Can't Take" to rationalize the fact that the current storyline wasn't going to have any change on the status quo. ...yeah, it's that kind of series.

So I guess in the end continuity just doesn't matter too much.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
so would it help at all if i finished season 1, and watched season 2 and the movie, or should i just find the manga and read it?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've watched all HTCB anime that has been available to date and it hasn't helped me at all with this series. Sounds like reading the manga is the only way to go if you want to have some sense of what the hell is going on.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, I've watched all HTCB anime that has been available to date and it hasn't helped me at all with this series. Sounds like reading the manga is the only way to go if you want to have some sense of what the hell is going on.

eh its a little odd but i think you can watch without knowing the background info and I'm not just saying that because i don't want to read hundreds of chapters of manga just to watch this show lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6