• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Senate Passes Internet Sales Tax Bill

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
Well this isn't good, dammit it all I was really hoping this wouldn't pass.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:08 am Reply with quote
I don't know. Not having to pay sales tax on out of state internet items always felt like a loophole anyway.

It was a good run and I'll miss saving a couple bucks on online sales, but ultimately this was probably how it should have always been.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I don't know. Not having to pay sales tax on out of state internet items always felt like a loophole anyway.

Yeah, pretty much. As a consumer, its hard to complain about this since we were really just getting away with something due to the lack of laws to update for new technology. This does pose some headaches from some businesses, but my understanding is that the law at least done a little bit to try to reduce those headaches. With that said, I'm not very familiar with it and am mainly going on a bit I heard from NPR this morning.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:27 am Reply with quote
Doesn't effect me sense I live in Oregon. Cool I wasn't even aware of this loophole until this bill came up, I just assumed that you had to pay sales tax regardless of where you bought things.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
What was the reasoning for this bill, because people buying online hurt B&M stores? With or without tax, buying online is still more convenient for most items. Problem is when you want to make big purchases, it might just drive people from buying altogether. I consider not having internet sales tax (depending where I shop) to be an incentive to spending money.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote
With Amazon charging tax already in my state, Rightstuf was the last place I could turn to with no taxes... Too bad. I hope this means people won't be buying less due to it.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:51 am Reply with quote
Well, it looks like it's time for me to stock up on anime, since there is about $200 worth of stuff I want to buy, and an additional 7% (my state's sales tax) may not seem like a lot, but it will add up quickly.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:00 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

Yeah, pretty much. As a consumer, its hard to complain about this since we were really just getting away with something due to the lack of laws to update for new technology. This does pose some headaches from some businesses, but my understanding is that the law at least done a little bit to try to reduce those headaches. With that said, I'm not very familiar with it and am mainly going on a bit I heard from NPR this morning.

Yeah, but think about it this way:

It hoses small businesses because they now have to spend effort processing all this crap. In a small business, there's only so much you can spend your effort on, and dealing with tax crap is not something you want to do. Large businesses aren't really affected, because they have a lot more resources to deal with it.

More bureaucracy is never a good thing.

Plus, who the hell wants to spend 5-7% more on their stuff? Do you guys really think that we'll see an equivalent increase in government services that benefit us? I don't think so; they're just taking our money. Gotta pay the troll toll.
Dfens

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
This bill still has to pass the house before being signed into law. Like americans are really going to say hey let me pay more money for goods it's ok.

They've being trying to do this for years and it's always failed, so it their is a good shot it won't happen this time.

Even if it does pass the business has to sale more than 1 million dollars of goods per year to be able to collect sales tax. If a business is smaller and doesn't sale that much they are exempt.

It's nothing more than the government stepping in and finding a way to rob the people for more money and laying a guilt trip on why it's the right thing to do. I'll bet you my kidneys that if they do pass this crap they'll just piss the money away anyways without actually putting it to good use.

Last edited by Dfens on Wed May 08, 2013 2:20 am; edited 2 times in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:12 am Reply with quote
Congress doesn't listen to the voters anyway, so it doesn't matter. Although, shouldn't republicans be flipping out? Is it more tax after all. More tax for da big bad ebul gubment run by ebul soshulist. So if they approve of this, they're hypocrites. Oh wait no, it doesn't proportionally affect rich people, so it doesn't count as a tax.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=113&session=1&vote=00113

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed May 08, 2013 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:17 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

Yeah, but think about it this way:

It hoses small businesses because they now have to spend effort processing all this crap. In a small business, there's only so much you can spend your effort on, and dealing with tax crap is not something you want to do. Large businesses aren't really affected, because they have a lot more resources to deal with it.

More bureaucracy is never a good thing.

Plus, who the hell wants to spend 5-7% more on their stuff? Do you guys really think that we'll see an equivalent increase in government services that benefit us? I don't think so; they're just taking our money. Gotta pay the troll toll.

I've already considered those things.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:42 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Congress doesn't listen to the voters anyway, so it doesn't matter. Although, shouldn't republicans be flipping out? Is it more tax after all. More tax for da big bad ebul gubment run by ebul soshulist. So if they approve of this, they're hypocrites. Oh wait no, it doesn't proportionally affect rich people, so it doesn't count as a tax.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=113&session=1&vote=00113

This hurts the poor more and who knows, it might really lower sales of online goods in the future. Whether this helps retail stores or kill growth for online stores will be interesting.

I rather this be more for federal tax than state tax, as I find that to be fair since state tax can vary so much.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:48 am Reply with quote
From what I've read the Republican House majority isn't really enthusiastic about this, so it will likely go into one of the inner circles of hell ... strike that ... one of the committees and die a slow death by amendment.

Mark Gosdin
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:57 am Reply with quote
Paying the shipping fees have always felt like paying taxes, now it could feel like paying two taxes. Better make sure you're ordering on Amazon, and you're getting more than $25 worth of stuff. Laughing
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:35 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

It isn't. Almost all states require you pay the sales tax on mail order items on tax day. It is usually called a "use tax."

I really hope this passes as I won't have to add up all those receipts each year. I order plenty online and having less paperwork to do will help.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7