• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Koi Kaze DVD 3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote
All right then. I definitely need to start this show.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:58 am Reply with quote
Yep. Me too. I'm a sucker for a good review.
FlimJam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:14 am Reply with quote
I just finished this disc the other day. There are some disturbing bits (in addition to the overall subject matter), but it really is a great series.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, yeah. I know this is an old thread. But...

I just finished this series last night. I never imagined that I would ever include a romance anime in my list of favorites. This is a very well-written, well acted, powerful story. Yes, the subject matter is taboo. I feel that the forbidden aspect increases the allure of the show. Actually there were many times that I almost forgot they were siblings. That is, until Nanoka would say "big brother" when addressing him. I can't recommend this series enough. For those who might be squeemish about the subject, I feel that the way the story unfolds slowly over the 13 eps; the viewer is eased into the story rather than getting hit over the head with it.

I am in full agreement with Key on this one. It is definitely a must see!
HatsumiShinogu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:00 am Reply with quote
I watched this anime twice and I can say that I enjoyed it quite a bit. I really don't know what to say about it except that what was happening between Koshirou and Nanoka is totally inappropriate especially that they went all the way in this final volume. Well, I think it is wrong and even Koshirou and Nanoka know what they were doing is wrong and that's why they were feeling guilty. I know that some people might justify it in a way that you cannot control your feelings when it comes to love but we are talking about blood-related siblings here.
gwdone

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
A very sick series in my opinion. Super sick!
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:56 am Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:

care to elaborate just a bit on why you think this
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:12 am Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:

Not at all. It's a fascinating character study on a somewhat known phenomenon. One of if not the most tasteful and well-thought out tale of incest in anime-form that neither uses it for pandering or for glorification.
gwdone

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:13 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
gwdone wrote:

care to elaborate just a bit on why you think this

spoiler[He jacks off about his sister. Which ends up being ironically the "climax" of the story.]
gwdone

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
gwdone wrote:

Not at all. It's a fascinating character study on a somewhat known phenomenon. One of if not the most tasteful and well-thought out tale of incest in anime-form that neither uses it for pandering or for glorification.

"tasteful..... tale of incest......"
See,, I just can't agree.
I didn't leave the series feeling the least bit warm and fuzzy.
Xorasor

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:

"tasteful..... tale of incest......"
See,, I just can't agree.
I didn't leave the series feeling the least bit warm and fuzzy.

Can you explain what exactly you feel was tasteless about the execution regarding the subject matter of this series? Not the premise itself, mind. I don't wish to argue about that. But the specific way in which this series handles it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
If you think 'tasteful' means it should leave you warm and fuzzy (ie, you think it's synonymous with 'heartwarming') then that's your problem.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:40 am Reply with quote
You're not supposed to leave the series feeling warm and fuzzy. Nothing about what transpires in the series is meant to indicate that what Koshiro and Nanoka do is "all right" (although people sometimes interpret it that way). Why would spoiler[their contemplation of suicide] even come up or Nanoka's friend and Koshiro's fellow employee act the way they do if this was meant to be a tacit approval of incest? I cannot think of another anime title which deals with incest as neutrally as this one does.

Keep in mind that Koi Kaze is one of those titles that's much more widely-respected than widely-loved. I respected it enough to make it my #4 title of the 2000s despite its very mediocre artistry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gwdone

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
You're not supposed to leave the series feeling warm and fuzzy. Nothing about what transpires in the series is meant to indicate that what Koshiro and Nanoka do is "all right" (although people sometimes interpret it that way). Why would spoiler[their contemplation of suicide] even come up or Nanoka's friend and Koshiro's fellow employee act the way they do if this was meant to be a tacit approval of incest? I cannot think of another anime title which deals with incest as neutrally as this one does.

Keep in mind that Koi Kaze is one of those titles that's much more widely-respected than widely-loved. I respected it enough to make it my #4 title of the 2000s despite its very mediocre artistry.

Interesting points. You're more into this title than I would ever allow myself. In the struggle of doing the right thing, he failed. He didn't make the right choices and should have never allowed her vulnerabilities (age, maturity, etc), get to him. He needed professional help before it got so out of hand. For me,, it came down to a choice and in the end, his choice was the wrong one. Am I glad he didn't pounce on her from day one,, yes, but no matter how long it takes, when you think you're going in that direction you have to stop yourself, or get help, fast.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
He stopped himself. That's why he separated himself from her. However, she was the one who went to him at his new place. There's mutual fault in terms of the taboo, you cannot only blame one party, especially when they were the ones who attempted to escape that situatin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2