• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PlayStation 4 Hard Drive is Upgradeable

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
love the little "<3" in his tweet lol, he must be enjoying this huge win over XBOX One like "oh hey theres more"
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
And Sony's curb stomping of Microsoft continues.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Yep read about it on PS Lifestyle, no complaint here, I think 1TB is the highest HDD in the market am I right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
^
There are plenty of 1.5TB, 2TB and 3TB HDDs out there on the consumer market, but I have no idea which brands and models are compatible with the PS4.

The XBone's 500GB HDD is not upgradeable. Which means that with its insistence on copying each and every game to the HDD in full so you can play without discs, the HDD is going to be filled up in no time. If you've got T.V. programs, music, pictures and whatnot on the machine - not to mention the operating system - you might not even get twenty games on there. Which sounds like a lot, but that's pretty insufficient for many gamers, especially if they've had the box for a few years.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Yep read about it on PS Lifestyle, no complaint here, I think 1TB is the highest HDD in the market am I right?

Or go SSD and get much faster processing speed. I actually wonder if PS4 can work with a SSD.

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
Oh the butthurt Laughing
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
The mind boggles at how badly Microsoft screwed this up in comparison.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Or go SSD and get much faster processing speed. I actually wonder if PS4 can work with a SSD.
Why wouldn't it? I upgraded my PS3's to an SSD and the load times in GT5 were astonishingly faster. Granted, that's the only game where I saw massive reduction, but the system also doesn't run nearly as hot as it did which means I never have to hear the fan crank up to the higher speed.
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
I want to know how noisy this is (ps4), ps3 is quite noisy, VERY, not as much as that turbine the 360 is thou.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
The mind boggles at how badly Microsoft screwed this up in comparison.
They were not aiming at a GAMING console. They thought it was a good idea, it clearly wasn't. Kind of like how they tried to make Windows 8 the "all-in-one" OS for desktops,tablets AND phones. Obviously that didn't work out too well either. MS is full of bad decisions in the last few years.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:21 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
I want to know how noisy this is (ps4), ps3 is quite noisy, VERY, not as much as that turbine the 360 is thou.
I barely played the 360 when it first came out simply because the damn noise it made was so egregious. When the ability to install games to the hdd came about, the amount of time I spent with the system shot up greatly. Granted, the pitiful 20GB is only enough for 1 or 2 games at the most, but I like to stick with one game at a time anyway.

I should really go to bed.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:13 am Reply with quote
May not be as fast as internal, but an external HD can connect to XB1 via USB 3.0. Dunno yet if any HD or only MS-brand HD for premium price.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:47 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
There are plenty of 1.5TB, 2TB and 3TB HDDs out there on the consumer market, but I have no idea which brands and models are compatible with the PS4.

The XBone's 500GB HDD is not upgradeable. Which means that with its insistence on copying each and every game to the HDD in full so you can play without discs, the HDD is going to be filled up in no time. If you've got T.V. programs, music, pictures and whatnot on the machine - not to mention the operating system - you might not even get twenty games on there. Which sounds like a lot, but that's pretty insufficient for many gamers, especially if they've had the box for a few years.

Like the PS3, it can be expected the PS4 uses a 2.5" hard drive. The larger capacities you have mentioned are 3.5" drives. While Western Digital makes 1.5 TB and 2 TB 2.5" drives, both are 15mm in height, and the PS4 likely only accepts only up to standard 9.5mm height drives.

As noted, Microsoft has confirmed that installations to an external drives attached via USB 3.0 will be supported. I doubt they would compound the issue by requiring this be some proprietary drive.

dan9999 wrote:

I think this may be one advantage the Xbox One will have over the PS4. We've already seen the internals of the One (at Wired.com), and it has a large heatsink with a large fan (which typically means low RPM and quieter), and it is obviously well vented. By contrast, the PS4 has a sleeker appearance, but trades off venting area for that, and it remains to be seen how the heatsink/fan are configured. I believe the PS4 also has an internal power supply (which while neater, increases internal heat), whereas I believe the Xbox One is still going to use an external brick.

The PS3 should run just a bit hotter under load, as while the CPU is the same, the GPU has more compute units. Both units should be on par for power usage at idle and for many non-gaming operations.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:01 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
May not be as fast as internal, but an external HD can connect to XB1 via USB 3.0. Dunno yet if any HD or only MS-brand HD for premium price.

This is actually how most people will increase their storage space. Especially since the price is almost the same, the storage amounts available are about the same, but external is significantly easier to install and move around. Claiming ownage over a replaceable internal HDD is a little ridiculous.

My question is will external ones work like the 360 (you can store ANY content on it and playing games from the hdd is as easy as plugging it in and logging on to XBL) or if it works like the ps3 where you can't even store games on it?
Shuurai25

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:34 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
I doubt they would compound the issue by requiring this be some proprietary drive.

You underestimate Micro$oft dear boy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2