• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you think downloading fansubs is wrong?

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Just in my opinion but I would get dvds if they weren't so damn expensive where I live. From some replies in my older post it seems anime goes for 20 to 25 dollars a volume in their areas but for me where live i the cheapest anime I usually find are 29.99 plut tax for a single volume of a series and go up to as much as 40 dollars a volume, not mentioning a single dvd I saw once cost over 50 dollars. Box sets are even worse as they go for over 120 dollars (and thats for a 26 episode series). This situation pretty much forced me into resorting to fansubs. Just wondering if you all think fansubs are wrong and that true anime fans should buy dvds not saying that they should.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I buy DVDs constantly and own a ton of anime. The only series I get through other means are unliscensed ones and then very rarely and only if I really can't wait. I don't go crazy with it like some fans.

Also anime is cheaper when you know where to look.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Downloading fansubs is not necessarily wrong, but relying only on them for your anime viewing and not buying any LEGITIMATE DVDs is wrong. Those who download fansubs AFTER a series has been licensed are even worse (and the people making the fansubs should be prosecuted). I know there are some people out there (you know who you are:wink:) who claim that piracy is the way to go and completely ignore the anime industry. That is wrong. Also, with fansubs, there are all kinds of problems, from sound/video quality to translation. Fansub subtitles are usually littered with translation/spelling errors and profanity and jokes thrown in to "spice it up" or whatever they call it. Many people don't realize that fansubs are illegal and USUALLY inferior to the official releases; they see them as a cheap way to watch anime, and then some of them go and complain when a series gets licensed, claiming that it will be ruined by a dub (please Confused), or that the company who licensed it is evil and doesn't care about the fans. Right, they don't care about the fans, so they licensed a series for an OFFICIAL release. Rolling Eyes As long as you delete fansubs once the series is licensed and buy the DVDs and/or watch the series on TV, there's no problem. Relying on fansubs is when there's a problem.

And if you can't afford DVDs, QUIT COMPLAINING AND GET A FRACKIN' JOB.

Now let's bring Ohoni to the stand for his opinion. Ohoni?
Iemander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Downloading fansubs is not necessarily wrong, but relying only on them for your anime viewing and not buying any LEGITIMATE DVDs is wrong. Those who download fansubs AFTER a series has been licensed are even worse (and the people making the fansubs should be prosecuted). I know there are some people out there (you know who you are:wink:) who claim that piracy is the way to go and completely ignore the anime industry. That is wrong. Also, with fansubs, there are all kinds of problems, from sound/video quality to translation. Fansub subtitles are usually littered with translation/spelling errors and profanity and jokes thrown in to "spice it up" or whatever they call it. Many people don't realize that fansubs are illegal and USUALLY inferior to the official releases; they see them as a cheap way to watch anime, and then some of them go and complain when a series gets licensed, claiming that it will be ruined by a dub (please Confused), or that the company who licensed it is evil and doesn't care about the fans. Right, they don't care about the fans, so they licensed a series for an OFFICIAL release. Rolling Eyes As long as you delete fansubs once the series is licensed and buy the DVDs and/or watch the series on TV, there's no problem. Relying on fansubs is when there's a problem.

And if you can't afford DVDs, QUIT COMPLAINING AND GET A FRACKIN' JOB.

Now let's bring Ohoni to the stand for his opinion. Ohoni?

Stand? Who says you're on a stand?

Well as long as you know that what you're doing is stealing and that you have no right to complain etc etc I'm alright with people pirating music/fansubs/games.

On the other hand, I hear alot of people saying they think downloading fansubs is unacceptable, but downloading music or games is alright. I can't stand hypocritical people tbh. Nor people who are actually claiming that Piracy is legal because it's actually information (bullshit).
FLCL78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't necessarily think it is wrong, but it can get out of hand. If you're that much of an otaku that you would rather download an episode than wait to buy one, then go right ahead. But it really gets out of hand when people begin downloading series and movies.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:31 pm Reply with quote
okay it sounds like downloading fansubs is wrong to alot of people, but what if people only download the first episode of a series to see if its worth getting because trailers only show a small taste of the series. Would you consider it wrong is someone just used it as a free sample?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:43 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
okay it sounds like downloading fansubs is wrong to alot of people, but what if people only download the first episode of a series to see if its worth getting because trailers only show a small taste of the series. Would you consider it wrong is someone just used it as a free sample?

I tend to "sample" the series before I buy. But it's up to US companines to help curb it. Like what ADV and Amazon and Newtype did with Cromarite High School. I need to see more then 1 minute trailer to see if I would like a show. But as fansubs being bad, it depends on the user. They can download up to the time it gets picked up by a US company, or they can keep downloading, even after DVDs are being released.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:05 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:

That's all right, considering anime trailers are pure crap nowadays (with a few exceptions). Like seeing the textless OP or a bunch of random clips is really gonna get me into the story. Rolling Eyes

Don't forget about those Newtype USA discs, though. There's no excuse for downloading fansubs of the first episode of Samurai 7 with the new issue.

Iemander wrote:
Stand? Who says you're on a stand?

I say I'm on a stand. A stand to not discourage fansubs entirely, but discourage relying only on pirated material. Kinda like Jack Thompson, 'cept with anime and with some understanding. And I don't reply with 3rd grade emails. Wink
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Downloading fansubs is not necessarily wrong, but relying only on them for your anime viewing and not buying any LEGITIMATE DVDs is wrong.

Now that's something I'll drink to. I'll watch a series I'm interested in in fansub first, and then decide if I'll buy the dvds. If I didn't like the series, the series gets deleted from my hdd and I never buy the dvds. If I liked the series, then fansubs stay on my computer and I buy the series (in my case, the PRIMARY three examples are Escaflowne, Gundam SEED, and Crest of the Stars, which I have complete in both fansub on my hdds and in legitimate non-bootleg DVDs which I bought or recieved as a gift) on DVD.

Wrong, nope. Questionable? Maybe. I still support the industry by buying the series I liked, and I also don't waste my money by buying series I didn't/wouldn't like. There lies the balance, and IMO, it's both being considerate to the industry and being fair to my [limited] budget by buying DVDs but only of series I know I enjoyed.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I know there are some people out there (you know who you are:wink:) who claim that piracy is the way to go and completely ignore the anime industry. That is wrong. Also, with fansubs, there are all kinds of problems, from sound/video quality to translation. Fansub subtitles are usually littered with translation/spelling errors and profanity and jokes thrown in to "spice it up" or whatever they call it. Many people don't realize that fansubs are illegal and USUALLY inferior to the official releases; they see them as a cheap way to watch anime, and then some of them go and complain when a series gets licensed, claiming that it will be ruined by a dub (please Confused), or that the company who licensed it is evil and doesn't care about the fans.

Please avoid the propaganda, you know it's not true. Ichigo asked if downloading fansubs was wrong, he didn't ask whether fansubs were good or not. The fact of the matter is that while a significant amount of fansubs ARE if inferior quality, the consumer is NOT forced to pick these up, and can almost always find a professional quality fansub of the series he's interested in. That's the beauty of variety.

So now that we've debunked all of that spin, back to the topic at hand. Is downloading fansubs wrong? It depends on you. Could you afford to buy anime if, say, you went without food? If so, some would say that you should buy the anime instead of the food.

Personally, I think that if you cannot afford to buy anime, but you want to watch anime, then who is being hurt if you want anime without buying it? It's not like they're losing any money they would have made otherwise (as would be the case with, say, shoplifting), all they lose is hypothetical "chicken counting" money that never would have materialized anyways. If you can afford to buy at least SOME anime, and you've found a professional release of a series that you honestly WANT to support, then by all means buy it. Think of it as a donation to the series and distributors that you enjoy.

That's just my opinion on the matter. The law is against you (although I'm not sure how much in Canada), but they'll never ever call you on it because it'd be more trouble than it's worth for them to go after the tens of thousands of individuals who download fansubs.

Quote:

Equally as wrong. Downloading is downloading. While I'm sure the anime companies would appreciate if you eventually spent money on them, the law is the same regardless. Also equally as wrong: watching a friend's copy or watching it in an unsanctioned anime "club" of any kind.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
If you can afford to buy at least SOME anime, and you've found a professional release of a series that you honestly WANT to support, then by all means buy it. Think of it as a donation to the series and distributors that you enjoy.

I agree, if people can afford to buy anime then buy it, even if it is just a VHS that they found at Goodwill. I think fansubs are wrong because they copied and sold something without the owners permission. I'm sure those with sibblings can understand what it is like when they use something without your permisson so I don't think the anime industry likes it when others use their material without their permission. If you are unsure if you would like the anime then rent it or borrow it. Also read the agreement to file sharing programs, I bet you will regret some of the stuff you said you agreed too.

Quote:
But it really gets out of hand when people begin downloading series and movies.

People who only download anime arn't real fans, they arn't supporting the industry. I can see if they legally download it but if they only download the fansubs then they arn't true fans. Also I trust the translations done by companies then just some person on the internet.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm all right with downloading fansubs as long as the series is unlicensed. It's akin to watching it on TV.

However, once a run is complete and the legal rights for R1 are sold, then things get foggy.

I mean, it's not illegal for me to tape last night's rerun of Law & Order and watch it two weeks from now. And look at all the people buying TiVos...... What is a fansub if not a TiVo'd episode that someone with in with VirtualDub and subtitled?

But, seriously, folks. If you're going to watch anime, buy the DVDs or at least rent or borrow them. VA's and translators need to eat too.
Masterspartan243

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I agree. Fansubs aren't bad but they shouldn't be your primary source for anime. Fansubs should only be used when the anime is hard to get or very expensive. It should be like your last last resort. Otherwise you should support the anime and buy their dvds legally.
Samurai Jack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I think downloading fansubs is acceptable under some conditions. For one, I think people shouldn't download a series or OAV or feature film once liscensed. Also, if you are a serious anime fan, you are probably interested in supporting the industry and you are not excessive with downloading fansubs. You'll also probably be willing to buy officiall releases of series and OAVs that you got via fansubs.

This is a rather hefty topic and there is lots to be said about it, but there are some positive things about checking out and downloading fansubs. For instance, you might be able to view a great series that may never be liscensed over here, or won't come to the western market for years. Instances like that can happen. Of course we can't tell what series will quickly be adapted for the west and what ones won't right away, or at all. As I said, though, I'm very sure instances like that happen and have happened.

Another good point of checking out fansubs is that you download some series just to scope a series out. A lot of us here will agree it's great to support the industry. It's also a rather costly hobby. Fansubs can help us discover series quickly and get us interested in buying the series if it later gets the green light for the English market. I saw one episode of My HiME. It's liscensed, so I don't care to dl any more episodes. But that one episode and the positive buzz I've heard from those who watched the whole thing have me anticipating the US release of the series. I intend to buy that series on DVD.

Of course, it's still something that can negative just as well as it can be positive. People obtain series by fansubs, like it, but it gets liscensed, and they decide they don't like it enough to buy the official releases. But it is a double edged sword; again, through obtaining fansubs, it can certainly make people real interested in a series, and some of those people will buy official releases.

Again, lots to say on the topic, but I think people here will generally agree that 1) It's a good thing to support the industry, and 2) People, in general, should at the least not download any liscensed anime.
Masterspartan243

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Heck, fansubs can be used as a sneak peak for an anime your friend recommends you see but you don't wanna sell out the cash on something you might not like. So the you can make the choice whether to buy it or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 19